Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off. Hello everyone. I'm relatively new to motorcycling, and just bought my first bike a year ago (1981 Suzuki GSX400)
I'm now wanting a bigger bike to drive across the country on with my girl friend, and at 300$ there is a 750ltd that seems to fit the bill for a restore project.

I am a mechanical engineering student, but I know I will have troubles, so here I am.

I am picking the bike on on the weekend. so far i know that the bike runs on one cylinder. it did run 2 years ago, but then the owner wife passes away, and he hasn't had the heart to ride with out her. The head pipes are rusted, but correct me if I'm wrong, I believe that they are double walled.

I will likely use this thread to ask for help, and no doubted will start other threads.
I am part of the GSresources website and community, and I hope that you guys and gals are as supportive......you seem to be

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
First items you'll need will be a bucket of carburetor cleaner and a manual. New spark plugs and battery. There's a lot of great people here with sage advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahahaha.. if that is all I need, I'll be jumping for joy!
I really hope that this turns out well, I have only ever restored inline twins.
my resume is short but I'm fond of every bike. 1981 Suzuki GSX400L (My baby, always getting mods) a 1986 suzuki GS400E and a 1973 Honda CB350.
I am presently in the process of being made engine captain of my university Formula1 SAE racing team, we use a Hond F4I, 600cc engine.
I still consider my self a grasshopper, and every bike has.. um.. 'Character', which I guess i will 'enjoy' getting to know.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I did say FIRST items. Never know though. It's possible although unlikely that's all it takes. Mine is an 82 750 and is pretty much trouble free. I ride two up on it with no problems. I do have to get the cam chain tensioner readjusted though. A2rider is putting a 750 engine into a 650 frame. Before I'd even try to start that bike I'd clean the carburetors and lube and adjust all the cables. Change oil and filter. Be carefull get the Carbs off though. Those boots can be brittle by now.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
By the way WELCOME to the forum! Post some pictures of your new2u bike.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and antiq said it best - Clean those carbs first. Plugs and a battery, and it might just run for you. If you can get your hands on an ultrasonic cleaner use it. It can do a good job cleaing out those carbs.

Good luck, and let us know how it is going.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Hey BentRod! I posted for you in the main lobby section. Stop in and say Hi.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dropped like a hot rock

So the bike is a complete loss, and I'm holding onto my money and looking around for another project. Too bad, I really had hopes for this one.

the bike is a mess. the most of the bearings are shot completely. and the engine is not just leaking oil, its spilling it. needs tires, battery, cables, pads, had some serious wiring problems with exposed wire where a short had melted the insulating layer. The exhaust bikes are like swiss cheese, and the tank is rusted with this spots. the bike was not stored properly and left out a lot. master cylinder needs to be rebuilt, brake rotor needs to be turned. needs a signal generator. only 3 cylinders get a spark. and then i stopped looking.. its hopeless and I dont ahve that kinda of money.

I'm still looking for a bike though! anyone got one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts