Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the dyno and custom map done. My bike is a 2006 Nomad 1600 with V&H Baggers, PCIII and the CaddmannQ dual air intake as performance mods.

Horsepower is now: 67.38 (up ~5-6 )
Ft.Lbs Torque is now: 84.95 (up 9-10)

Apparently there was "some kind" of map in the PCIII at the start of the dyno, but all those numbers (which were making it run too rich, thus lowering mpg) have been corrected. MPG should increase (more on that after the next tankfull) since the air:fuel mix has been corrected for the various throttle positions and loads.

So, as promised, there are the numbers! Bike runs very smoothly now. No popping, etc. Motor sounds smooth and strong throughout the acceleration in all gears.

Daryl

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for the info Daryl... I'd like to know the change in mpg before and after too, plus, you got any larger pics since the mods? I can only see your avatar. Cheers, Don

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
...Apparently there was "some kind" of map in the PCIII at the start of the dyno, but all those numbers (which were making it run too rich, thus lowering mpg) have been corrected. MPG should increase (more on that after the next tankfull) since the air:fuel mix has been corrected for the various throttle positions and loads...l
Am I correct in assuming you let someone else install and do the original setup on your PCIII -and then took the bike to a tuner after you did the pipes and Caddman ?

Reason I ask, is becuase the Power Commander folks do have a map for an 05+ Nomad using Baggers -and that's what most folks would load on the PCIII if they just used the map provided on the CD. And as you noted it is waaaaay to rich with a 30% increase over the stock ECU when you decellerate (zero throttle + above idle RPMs).

A tuner would immediately recongnize that error and fix it. Which is one reason alot of us would dearly love to see your custom map. Some of us don't have a local tuner, but I can hook up my bike and adjust my map myself to see how well a new map runs on my bike (heck, since you have an almost identical setup to my bike -I'd even throw a few bucks your way to get the map ;) )

I currently run the map found on the Thunder site which is for an 05+ Nomad with V&H Baggers and Thunder Air Intake (I'm told its close to what the Caddman produces). And my bike runs pretty well with that map -but I've never been totally happy since I never got the custom map run for this bike :frown:

·
Giggidy-Giggidy-Goo!
1,623 Posts
Had my custom map done back in July on my 07 Nomad with the same configuration as yours (http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...9027-post-dyno-charts-here-5.html#post740970). My numbers came in a little lower because I asked, and it was supposedly done, to split the difference between max performance and max mpg, but pretty close all things considered.

I'll be interested in what you get as mpg after the tune. I still think there is something wrong with my custom map/bike because I can barely manage to squeek out an average 33mpg ...and I have to really work to keep off the throttle and check tire pressures every day just to get that. MPG on the 9 tanks before the tune (but after the PCIII/Caddman/Baggers) was 31.

Coming from a 900LT with average 42mpg (and, believe me, I rode the crap out of that little beast), 33mpg on the Nomad seriously bugs the living crap out of me to the point where I've considered stripping everything off.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I pulled my Cobra and put the stock pipes back on last July after the local po-po started cracking down... no improvement in MPG.

I put everything back on in October and turned the Cobra down a bit... seems to have improved MPG slightly, but it's a tough call.

Keep in mind that if you have a Speedo Healer, your MPG will be falsely low by whatever correction factor you used... so if you're measuring 33mpg and corrected the speedo by 10%, you're actually getting a touch over 36.

I've never consistently gotten better than 33-35 out of my 1600.

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Man, I'm glad that I've only got a 1500. Baggers, Cadmann and a TFI gives me an average of 40 to 43 MPG. Worst I've ever gotten was 36 into 50 MPH headwinds coming across Wyoming.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Am I correct in assuming you let someone else install and do the original setup on your PCIII -and then took the bike to a tuner after you did the pipes and Caddman ?

Reason I ask, is becuase the Power Commander folks do have a map for an 05+ Nomad using Baggers -and that's what most folks would load on the PCIII if they just used the map provided on the CD. And as you noted it is waaaaay to rich with a 30% increase over the stock ECU when you decellerate (zero throttle + above idle RPMs).

A tuner would immediately recongnize that error and fix it. Which is one reason alot of us would dearly love to see your custom map. Some of us don't have a local tuner, but I can hook up my bike and adjust my map myself to see how well a new map runs on my bike (heck, since you have an almost identical setup to my bike -I'd even throw a few bucks your way to get the map ;) )

I currently run the map found on the Thunder site which is for an 05+ Nomad with V&H Baggers and Thunder Air Intake (I'm told its close to what the Caddman produces). And my bike runs pretty well with that map -but I've never been totally happy since I never got the custom map run for this bike :frown:
Ditto,

Then I could compare your stock map to mine and see what was adjusted inthe tune and see if mine seems a bit out of whack.

Thanks and sweet ride enjoy!!!

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
... I still think there is something wrong with my custom map/bike because I can barely manage to squeek out an average 33mpg ...and I have to really work to keep off the throttle and check tire pressures every day just to get that. MPG on the 9 tanks before the tune (but after the PCIII/Caddman/Baggers) was 31...
Those numbers are pretty darn close to mine. And now we see Rich confirming the ugly truth -our 1600s guzzle that gas :redface:

35-36 on long liesurely one tank cruises. With the occassional "extra gentle" ride with perhaps a bit of wind aid seeing me touch 38-40mpg. The daily commute drops to 33-31 mostly due to the fact that the 6 mile ride to work is all in warmup mode :frown:

Now understand my bike has perhaps the largest aftermarket shield available with the largest aftermarket lowers, and for about 5 months I have engine guard chaps installed. So I'm ridin' a frickin billboard at 70mph :lol:

Sure makes the little Ninja's 60+mpg seem nice as the trip meter turns 230 miles and I'm still not on reserve :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts