Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am completing a top end rebuild on a high mileage ZX6. When I got the bike it would not start from poor compression because only a couple valves were still seating properly through all the carbon build up. Question I have is can I use these old exhaust valves with heat damage over again? I replaced one because it actually had a hole through the face but the other just have slight face warpage, but still seem to seat flush against the head. I would replace them all if I could but at $37 a piece that would just be stupid.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Heat damaage changes the property of the metal, it has to have the built in elasticity (for lack of a better word) in order to do it's job from a cold start to normal operating temperature. The fact that they look ok cold is no garantee that at operating temperatures the heat expansion will not cause them to seize the engine. $37 is a cheap way to get peace of mind and avoid costlier repairs.

I know it's $37/valve times many valves. Maybe you could look into finding used valves in good condition. Try a Google search for used motorcycle parts.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
agreed - replace the valves if you want a good rebuild - they will seat different when they are at operating temps. 8)

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Tell me what year your ZX6 is and let me see if I can beat the $37.00 price! 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
advice taken

Well instead of blowing $100 on just a few replacement valves I found a whole lower mileage head for $100, all the clearances were in spec too!
Yea Ebay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts