Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched from sport bike to cruiser. It was a try- found out- not my world. While I already told my wife, I looked around and as I'm a huge fan of 80s and 90s bikes, I stumbled over the Z900RS- and fell in love with the bike already.
I read a little test reports and the opinions are mixed. Some where disappointed, some say average and some love it.
Is there anyone having one and be able to get a longer term experience?
I don't want to waste my time looking at another bike I'm not happy with later.
I'm used to 150+hp, one of the reasons, the 900 vulcan is kinda not it- besides the seat position.
Just trying to make my mind up, as I like the z1000, but not the looks- too spacy and too aggressive looking- hate this new style all those new bikes have- the z900rs is a light in the design reality.
Bit input would be very appreciated. Thank you!

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
A close friend of mine has had one now for well over a year and he loves it. A few members on here have also posted positive feedback but the best way to find out if it is the right bike for you is to try one. Check around and see if any local dealers have a demo bike you can try.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Everyone I know who had a 900 cc Kawasaki regrets selling it. They were very special bikes. Sort of like you wish 750's were, but not the heavy bulkiness of a 100+ cc bike. You can also tune the riding to whatever style you want. There is so much aftermarket parts, and decades of experience that people have written about them. You could make the bike you want out of a 900. I like the styling too. It's no wonder Kawasaki reintroduced them. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I switched from sport bike to cruiser. It was a try- found out- not my world. While I already told my wife, I looked around and as I'm a huge fan of 80s and 90s bikes, I stumbled over the Z900RS- and fell in love with the bike already.
I read a little test reports and the opinions are mixed. Some where disappointed, some say average and some love it.
Is there anyone having one and be able to get a longer term experience?
I don't want to waste my time looking at another bike I'm not happy with later.
I'm used to 150+hp, one of the reasons, the 900 vulcan is kinda not it- besides the seat position.
Just trying to make my mind up, as I like the z1000, but not the looks- too spacy and too aggressive looking- hate this new style all those new bikes have- the z900rs is a light in the design reality.
Bit input would be very appreciated. Thank you!
Being a 80’s bike guy myself with far too many of them, I Love the styling….and it will be my next bike. I currently own a 2000 ZRX1100, 81 GPZ1100 (converting to a ELR S1 Replica), 81 GPZ550, 85 RZ350, 72 Mach IV H2 widow maker. I could buy any bike, wife gave the OK, and of all the fancy far over priced Exotics, the Z900RS still comes out on top. Yoshimira now has a power up kit for it as well, if you need more go.

577nitro

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
Looking closely at the two pictures, I don't see a huge difference (maybe an inch at the most) in the space between tire and seat. I think what makes the gap seem smaller is the shocks which fill up that space visually.

The monoshock can be adjusted for a softer ride which will lower the seat, but for me I would want the performance and suspension gains offered by the Z900rs as is.

·
Registered
757 Posts
They could have lowered the whole seat assembly and made the bike suitable for shorter riders, while making it sleeker. It's still a beautiful bike, looks even better when you're standing next to one. My local dealership has a few and they are quite nice. ;)

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
Big gap between rear tire and seat is common. It is highly functional if not the most aesthetically pleasing. Personally I don't mind it. Here is another bike with big gap.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
757 Posts
I don't think the rear wheel can use all that space. My GS750ES has a big gap, not that big though and I have never come close to using that much suspension. I don't even know it it's possible? The aesthetics don't bother me, it does seem that the seat could be lowered a bit, lowering the rider some. 5.2 Gallon tank too. The whole bike could be lowered, giving some better handling. IMHO :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Perhaps I'm splitting hairs but a standard to me is an all-arounder, run it bare in the canyons on Sundays, polish it up and park out front under the lights at the watering hole on Saturday night, put soft bags and a windscreen on and take a week long road trip vacation. Everything from the factory has to allow this but an exhaust pointed straight where the soft bags would go plus no rear shocks and bodywork to keep them off the wheel hinders that. Everything is styled to fit an image now, there I said it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't think the rear wheel can use all that space. My GS750ES has a big gap, not that big though and I have never come close to using that much suspension. I don't even know it it's possible? The aesthetics don't bother me, it does seem that the seat could be lowered a bit, lowering the rider some. 5.2 Gallon tank too. The whole bike could be lowered, giving some better handling. IMHO :)

One day I shall have a big honking GS1150
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1 Posts
A monoshock on a standard just doesn't do it for me, there's too much space between the rear tire and seat. I'm sure it's nimbler and all but I prefer a classic retro with standard shocks.
View attachment 45047
Those are fake rear shocks...make by Delorme or something like that. I think they are ridiculous. They even make fake Ohlins for it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I wouldn't mind a GS1150. I couldn't find one. Tthe ZZR1200 I purchased for $2400 bucks had only 3895 miles on it. My GS750ES has 40K miles on it and still goes like a Bat out of H.e.l.l.. The 16 inch allows it to carve up the roads that I have yet been able to do on bikes in that category. ;)

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder if you are right Kawasakian about not being able to use all space between tire and seat.
I looked for rear wheel suspension travel but no luck so far, but I did find this. Looks like a fair bit of movement is possible.

Hood Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font

·
Registered
456 Posts
I wouldn't mind a GS1150. I couldn't find one. Tthe ZZR1200 I purchased for $2400 bucks had only 3895 miles on it. My GS750ES has 40K miles on it and still goes like a Bat out of H.e.l.l.. The 16 inch allows it to carve up the roads that I have yet been able to do on bikes in that category. ;)
Yeah my FJ1100 had a 16 inch front too, really helped it fall into turns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm pretty sure the gap is optical. At the older 80s and 90s bikes, there was more covers and also mud guards. With this, the space looked much smaller. Also the rear help frame was mostly larger. This caused the look. I actually like monoshock, as it's versatile and effective. The overall look fits into the later half of the 90s..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts