Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ed Scott - Old-Time Biker
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rich (or anyone familiar with it), can you tell me how well the 360-degree brake system is working after a couple of years on the market? It looks expensive and complex, but the benefits seem substantial. Kind of a combination of a clutch working backward and the general principle of the old coaster brake used on ancient bicycles. It gives the bike a cleaner look, especially on the back wheel and they claim it allows hard braking front and rear under all circumstances.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
I have no info for you, but must say its interesting in design.
I had never heard of it before.
It sure does not look like anything I would ever want, but thats just me.
Looks small, weak, and the enclosed aspect I would assume builds up and holds in a lot of heat if saying riding spiritedly down a twisty mountain road.

But none the less interesting.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I don't understand why the 360 degree brake system causes the bike to "squat". As a bike slows down, weight is transferred to the front of the bike, compressing the front suspension and unloading the rear suspension. Also, there must be a lot of heat generated in that relatively small, enclosed area. No matter what, to bring fast moving motorcycle to a stop, heat has to be generated and the faster it is moving and the heavier the bike, the more heat will be produced. I think the braking system looks very nice and is probably an excellent choice for "driveway jewelry".

·
V2K Classic
242 Posts
I don't understand why the 360 degree brake system causes the bike to "squat". As a bike slows down, weight is transferred to the front of the bike, compressing the front suspension and unloading the rear suspension. Also, there must be a lot of heat generated in that relatively small, enclosed area. No matter what, to bring fast moving motorcycle to a stop, heat has to be generated and the faster it is moving and the heavier the bike, the more heat will be produced. I think the braking system looks very nice and is probably an excellent choice for "driveway jewelry".
+ 1,000 on the "driveway jewelry"

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
This, I think, is right on.

1st, the reason any braking system worth using causes the front end to dive is that the friction force occurs down on the pavement level, while momentum tries to get the rest of the vehicle to continue forward (over the top of that force). The result is front end dive. No matter what, you'll have weight transfer from equilibrium to the front under hard braking (though nose dive can be corrected with suspension settings).

2nd, I'm doubting their claims on heat produced...though they give very little information on exactly how this thing works. Fact is, braking (as disc and drum brakes work anyway) is just turning your kinetic energy (moving) into heat.

However, they supposedly have the data to back up their claims...

But I would think this technology would be used in racing of some sort if it were so promising...

All just my opinion though...I haven't tried it. I'd be curious to hear from those who have (which I think was the original purpose of this thread :redface: )

BTW, in case anyone cares, they are using SolidWorks for that exploded assembly drawing.

·
Ed Scott - Old-Time Biker
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm skeptical myself. There's lots of links for info in google but not so much info, really, just sales hype. As a former statistics teacher, things like the stopping comparison chart in the original link above really seems manufactured. There's nothing to show what the bars actually mean. Under each bike there are a number of bars, each getting longer, but no explanation of what they are. Are they repeated attempts as the brakes heat? Are they at different speeds? No telling. There's lots of pretty pictures, but little real data from personal owners other than the manufacturers themselves. I would really like this to be an accurate account of what happens, but I'd have to know a lot more before I shell out over two thousand dollars PLUS billet wheels!

Hopefully, though, they're onto something.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
I'm skeptical myself. There's lots of links for info in google but not so much info, really, just sales hype. As a former statistics teacher, things like the stopping comparison chart in the original link above really seems manufactured. There's nothing to show what the bars actually mean. Under each bike there are a number of bars, each getting longer, but no explanation of what they are. Are they repeated attempts as the brakes heat? Are they at different speeds? No telling. There's lots of pretty pictures, but little real data from personal owners other than the manufacturers themselves. I would really like this to be an accurate account of what happens, but I'd have to know a lot more before I shell out over two thousand dollars PLUS billet wheels!

Hopefully, though, they're onto something.
Definitely, any significant improvement in braking technology is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Basically, you've got a clutch on both the front and rear axles. Well that is more efficient then a small brake pad area squeezing on a big rotor, but I like the idea of being able to change the pads in about half an hour instead of having to pull the wheel and take a clutch pack apart.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Basically, you've got a clutch on both the front and rear axles. Well that is more efficient then a small brake pad area squeezing on a big rotor, but I like the idea of being able to change the pads in about half an hour instead of having to pull the wheel and take a clutch pack apart.
Not really...the farther away from the center of the wheel you apply the friction, the greater the torque will be (as you've applied the same force to a bigger 'arm' )...and therefore, the greater the force slowing the wheel, assuming both are applying the same actual force...since that isn't the case, as there is supposedly more area with the smaller clutch type system, it may be a wash, it may not be enough, it may be more...but there aren't enough details to know for sure.

As for there being some very gorgeous bikes with this sytem...yeah there are :shock:

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I see no point in using the 360 degree brakes on the back because there is either a sprocket, pulley, or gear case there anyway. The simplest (and cheapest) way to go is to just remove the front brake and drag your feet to stop. And, the old drum brakes weren't very obtrusive.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The 360 degree brake system probably does cause less heat from friction as the smaller diameter brakes RPM relative to the standard size disc rotor are significantly less....my only issue with that is it would seem that it would be negated by the need to apply more pressure to the 360 degree internal rotor to get the same stopping power. For light weight bikes it'd probably work just fine...for touring bikes...I have my doubts.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If I were sporting a crazy expensive bike with some crazy expensive rims and pulley, I would consider them worth the price for the exceptional clean look. But for a standard jap bike I'm going to ride daily. I don't see the need and they don't even make my top 100 things that would be ccol to have on my bike list.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.