Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that a lot of you store your bikes over the winter. For less than a set of pipes you can ride on even the coldest days, road conditions permitting. On the ST side, heated clothing is very common but you rarely see anything about it on the cruiser side. We froze for years, but no more. It does not require much power and will keep you very warm to temps well below freezing. Here's what you need:
Heated gloves, ~$80, 2.2 amps/27 watts. Most come with battery harness and "Y' cable. They are far superior to heated grips since they warm your fingers and back of the hand. Have an extra $50, get heated grip too!
Heated jacket liner. ~$90, 6.4 amps/77 watts. Less bulky than your regular liner and puts out all the heat you will ever need. The jacket liner is far superior to the heated vest since it also keeps your arms warm. Your heated gloves/pants/socks will all plug into your liner. I have a Warm and Safe and my wife has a Gerbings. Both are excellent.
Pant liner. ~$90, 3.6 amps/ 44 watts.
Controller (optional but highly recommended) We like the Gerbings unit. $129 Any gear can be used without a controller but having controllability is nice.

If I were starting again... get gloves first. They will amaze you how warm they keep your hands. Then get a jacket liner followed by pants liner. You will be good to go at any temp!
There are two great places to get discounts/seconds:
Heatedclothingoutlet.com has Gerbings gear... the best! They don't always have all sizes so you may have to be patient. Gerbings.com has a wide variety of plugs and accessories.
Warmnsafe.com. Click "Motorcyclist" and then select "Heated Gear 2nds". They have great prices on their seconds.
I picked up heated grips at CycleGear on sale for $50.
Try it, you... and your bike, will like it.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
I'm actually with you on this one. :tongue: I don't wear all that heated gear though. In the winters here, NC, it gets cold but usually not much below the 30's. I just layer up. I think the biggest issue for most people is that it is kind of a PITA to put all that crap on to ride. I hate having to layer up but I'd just much rather be on my bike than in my cage. *shrugs*

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Good info and post...thanks. Up here the problem is not just temperature but as you said, road conditions. Once the snow starts it can be on the ground for weeks on end and the roads are just plain nasty with grit, deicer, slush and snow.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gearing up with heated gear is easier than layering. The jacket liner stays in your jacket and the gloves plug into it. It is really simple and no bulk. Just put your jacket on, plug in your gloves and controller and hit the start button. Simple!
Classic... I have felt the pain also! Get gloves. Run the connector out the side by seat, plug in and go. The "Y" harness stays in your jacket so there is no hassle. It's a nice Christmas present to yourself.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
My wife has the Gerbings gloves and jacket liner and loves them. She has the thermostat dual controller so she can set the gloves at a different temp than the jacket. You have to watch, some don't have a temp control, they are either on or off.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
It's not ME getting cold that's the issue. In MN, we're below freezing pretty much from DEC-February, with much of that being below 0F. Black ice is an issue, as is the snow, as is the gravel they put down. :(

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Good info and post...thanks. Up here the problem is not just temperature but as you said, road conditions. Once the snow starts it can be on the ground for weeks on end and the roads are just plain nasty with grit, deicer, slush and snow.
lol..."Week's on end". HA HA! Starting in the next few weeks, we won't see grass until some time in March...

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
It's not ME getting cold that's the issue. In MN, we're below freezing pretty much from DEC-February, with much of that being below 0F. Black ice is an issue, as is the snow, as is the gravel they put down. :(
Like I said...those of us around the 49th parallel are screwed. :cry:

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ADAM See what you have started! You can always plug your electric gloves into the car outlet, put on your motorcycle noise CD and pretend you are riding.
We are going to do alot of Canada and Alaska next year so our gear will get a good test. How many amps does a coffee pot pull?
Wild.... It is time to break out the paper bags if you are going to Browns games! They have taken the Cardinals place on the suck-o-meter! You can get battery powered gear or dual powered. Plugging it into the bike is the best bet tho'.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,321 Posts
"Ride all winter" says the guy from Arizona.

Umm - there's white-stuff all over the place out there right now. Bummed because it fell this weekend when I had enough time to ride. My dirveway is still 3" deep in snow.

Weather.com has Mesa at 76 degrees today.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,766 Posts
I used to ride all winter when I lived in Colorado. And I didn't have any heated clothing! But now that I live in New Hampshire, it ain't gonna happen--heated clothing or not. :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.