Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We often see threads started here by people looking for information on modifications and repair, but for some reason there are very few threads showing the atv's, equipment on them or the area/terrain they are used in.

Maybe we can share some info on the different areas we ride in and the vehicles we use to get there. I'll start off.

Northern Nevada, near the Carson City and Reno area is high desert with elevations running from 4,000' to 11,000'. Unlike areas in the midwest or California, our ground is mostly decomposed granite or alkali flats surrounded by steep rocky terrain. Unless you get caught in a rain storm while crossing an alkali flat it is rare to find mud to play in. With 90% of Nevada being BLM ground the ATV/UTV possibilities are endless.

Some shots taken near historic Fort Churchill, Nevada.

Near the Carson River ... Weeks, Nevada

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Nice pics Ken!

I haven't had my BF out lately (been working alot on the house) but have some pics to share when I went Elk Hunting last month. The weather was warm and dry and I didn't see an animal at all (which is odd) but it was very enjoyable to spend time riding the 4x4 and spending time in the mountains camping.

Here's some pics:

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice pics Ken!

I haven't had my BF out lately (been working alot on the house) but have some pics to share when I went Elk Hunting last month. The weather was warm and dry and I didn't see an animal at all (which is odd) but it was very enjoyable to spend time riding the 4x4 and spending time in the mountains camping.
That 650i is a sweet quad and it will probably be what I get next, unless Kawasaki comes out with something like the RZR (are you listening Ma Kaw):biggrin:

The fuel injection alone on that 650 is a great selling point with the extreme elevation changes we have around here. Add to that the IRS and it has to be one of the sweetest rides out there. :mrgreen:

Thanks for showing it off, Cary. Love the country you have to ride in.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
That 650i is a sweet quad and it will probably be what I get next, unless Kawasaki comes out with something like the RZR (are you listening Ma Kaw):biggrin:

The fuel injection alone on that 650 is a great selling point with the extreme elevation changes we have around here. Add to that the IRS and it has to be one of the sweetest rides out there. :mrgreen:

Thanks for showing it off, Cary. Love the country you have to ride in.
Don't we all just love showing off our toys? :)

Ken, is the RZR fuel injected? I know the 2008 Brute Force 750 is but I think the 650 is carb'd still unless I missed something on Kawasaki's website? I know my 07' is carb'd.

I do like the IRS as it really does make for a smooth ride. Of course since we've been so busy working on the house I haven't had alot of time to ride it much but eventually it'll get a good run. Heck...as fast as the weather is changing it won't be long and the snow will be here so I'll get a chance to try out that plow and see how good this rig can move the white stuff. :)

So I take it you didn't get drawn "AGAIN" to hunt in your state so where are you going to hunt?

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Bad ... I thought the 650i was injected like the 750. Still, the IRS makes it better for the slow trail/technical riding that I do.

No deer tags again (5 years now), so it has been hunting with a camera for me. Have seen lots of nice bucks and grabbed some great pictures of a few record size monsters. I haven't applied to hunt anyplace else this year. http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/off-topic/57977-hunting-camera.html

The new RZR (Razor) is injected, has IRS, 800cc and water cooled. I do hope Kawasaki comes out with a version. It does have a downside, it doesn't fit in the Forest Service rules for ATV classification (weight, handlebars, and straddle capable) so it is restricted from some Forest Service trails. I drove one in Carson City and that thing is a rocket. I'm not really a Polaris fan, but the concept is great.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
My Bad ... I thought the 650i was injected like the 750. Still, the IRS makes it better for the slow trail/technical riding that I do.

No deer tags again (5 years now), so it has been hunting with a camera for me. Have seen lots of nice bucks and grabbed some great pictures of a few record size monsters. I haven't applied to hunt anyplace else this year. http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/off-topic/57977-hunting-camera.html

The new RZR (Razor) is injected, has IRS, 800cc and water cooled. I do hope Kawasaki comes out with a version. It does have a downside, it doesn't fit in the Forest Service rules for ATV classification (weight, handlebars, and straddle capable) so it is restricted from some Forest Service trails. I drove one in Carson City and that thing is a rocket. I'm not really a Polaris fan, but the concept is great.

Ken, I've owned straight axle 4x4's and the difference riding the IRS rig is noticeable. I think our riding styles match pretty close as I don't beat my rig up but do enjoy riding trails and will try riding different terrain when it comes up.

I can't believe no deer tags in Nevada but you did mention that it's because the state brings in alot more $$$ from out of state tag sales, etc so I'm not surprised your not getting drawn. Maybe a statewide movement among Nevada residents needs to happen to change that? Nice pics of some awesome bucks! I can see why out of state hunters want to hunt there!!!

I've seen that new rig on TV commercials and it rips! I can see why it wouldn't qualify as usual ATV rig for off road use due to it's size, etc. It sure would be fun to make a trip to the grocery store in one. :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have a 2003 prairie 650 .
Its mainly used for working around my yard .Its is unbelievable what the quad will do I bet I have had 1500lbs of trees on my 5x8 trailer and it pulls with no prob and I have plowed 1.5 ft of snow without a prob . I have 18 acres so occassionally I will go out an play for a little bit . the problem with Mass. is that there really isn't any LEGAL riding without driving and the places that do have riding don't have good trail markings.Without volunteers maintaining the forest I am sure the state will shut down the few opened ones soon. the terrain is wide out here mud,hard pack ,rocks and sand. Elevation is about 1000 to 2000 feet. I will see if I can find some pics and add them later.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
pic 1 is just after I put the new rims and tires on.The skid plates are aluminum products and a must out here (my wife ripped a cv boot within a month of owning it) I have since added a warn winch and a makeshift wood bed for the back.
Pic 2 is my dad and I towing the trailer full of logs out into my woods
pic 3 is the 1st time I had to plow with it. I was having a new house built and we were already 3 months behind and the guys would have loved the excuse the couldn't get in the driveway so they didn't have to work. my driveway is about 200 ft long and there was about 18 inches of snow. almost didn't get my truck and trailer out there.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a good looking quad and a workhorse. Did you need to chain-up to plow that much snow at one time? I have a plow for mine, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
if the snow is heavy or too deep I raise the plow about 6 inches off the ground and make one pass down the center of my driveway from that point I just drop it to the ground and angle it all the way to the left and go back and forth alternating sides...its definitelt a workhorse and I have never needed tire chains. it doesn't slip at all.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if the snow is heavy or too deep I raise the plow about 6 inches off the ground and make one pass down the center of my driveway from that point I just drop it to the ground and angle it all the way to the left and go back and forth alternating sides...its definitelt a workhorse and I have never needed tire chains. it doesn't slip at all.
Thanks for the tips! The dealership here wanted me to buy chains to go along with the plow, but thought I would try it first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures. That is a neat looking rig with some serious ground clearance.

What brand/type tires are you running?
those are ITP Swamplites, 27x10 up front and 27x12 in the rear. i had them on my 07 yamaha big bear 400 until i bought a set of Highlifter Outlaws for it. I had to by a set of 12" ITP Black Delta Steel rims to mount them on b/c the stock rim is only 10 or 11".

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
those are ITP Swamplites, 27x10 up front and 27x12 in the rear. i had them on my 07 yamaha big bear 400 until i bought a set of Highlifter Outlaws for it. I had to by a set of 12" ITP Black Delta Steel rims to mount them on b/c the stock rim is only 10 or 11".
You didn't have any loss of power or tipping issues on the 400 with those taller tires? They sure look good on that mule.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Cool pics and info, guys!

It's been awhile since I've been on and enjoyed reading about others ATV's.

I suppose it won't be long until the snow is here. Actually I want to see how well the 4x4 will plow the snow. I was going to get chains also but decided to wait and see how it goes. I know it depends on how much you try and push that'll determine how well it goes.

Happy plowing everyone through the winter months!

·
Registered
12 Posts
LoboCop... what do you mean about tipping??? tipping over? i ride here in south georgia and there's little danger of any tipping! it's all flat, unless you get a little sideways in a deep mudhole. as far as any power loss, there was none. i added a clutch kit, k&n air filter, and rejetted my carb when i added the HMF pipe too so i probably actually gained some.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LoboCop... what do you mean about tipping??? tipping over? i ride here in south georgia and there's little danger of any tipping! it's all flat, unless you get a little sideways in a deep mudhole. as far as any power loss, there was none. i added a clutch kit, k&n air filter, and rejetted my carb when i added the HMF pipe too so i probably actually gained some.
Tipping over is what I meant. Here with our steep rock piles, known as mountains, tipping over (raising the center of gravity) can become an issue fast. Have tipped mine over several times over the years and all at low speed.

Thanks for the info, the clutch kit is something I really want to get done.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Cool pics and info, guys!

It's been awhile since I've been on and enjoyed reading about others ATV's.

I suppose it won't be long until the snow is here. Actually I want to see how well the 4x4 will plow the snow. I was going to get chains also but decided to wait and see how it goes. I know it depends on how much you try and push that'll determine how well it goes.

Happy plowing everyone through the winter months!
Plowing should be no problem without chains. In the NorthEast we get mostly heavy wet snow and I can plow 18 inches with no chains.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts