Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
1500 Classic:Black Beauty
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you ladies ride alone, what do you carry or do for self defense? My only hesitation with riding alone is if my bike breaks down or I have a flat and have to walk to an area of cell reception or wait for rescue....Do any of you carry a knife, mace, or? Have you ever had to use it?

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
A good self defense class is an awesome place to start.

If you do not carry a gun, try a sharp object much like my gradparents would have used to poke holes ina tin can.
It fits the palm nicely, and the probe goes out between your fingers.
Slam one into a person nearly anywhere and its gonna hurt like heck..
Get them anywhere vital, and they will no longer bother you at all.

·
1500 Classic:Black Beauty
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good self defense class is an awesome place to start.

If you do not carry a gun, try a sharp object much like my gradparents would have used to poke holes ina tin can.
It fits the palm nicely, and the probe goes out between your fingers.
Slam one into a person nearly anywhere and its gonna hurt like heck..
Get them anywhere vital, and they will no longer bother you at all.
I am a brown belt in karate .....and used to teach women's self defense classes for non-martial artists too. It's been 6 years since I did any of that though. I am thinking pepper spray and knife in the saddle bags in case I break down and have to walk or wait.....

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
6 years or 6 minutes, makes not much difference, the mind will still function as it did 6 years ago when faced with the fight or flight feeling. The legs and arms may not cooperate quite as well but the instinct to do what needs to be done next will.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
6 years or 6 minutes, makes not much difference, the mind will still function as it did 6 years ago when faced with the fight or flight feeling. The legs and arms may not cooperate quite as well but the instinct to do what needs to be done next will.
Well said.
I no longer take or teach Hapkido, but did for about 20 years, and when someone goes after me , its not a thought, its just a natural instinct still what to do o protect myself.
I really like the idea of something in a persons hand as a weapon though.
Not a knife so much as a handle that is held firmly with a sharp and strong probe that goes out between the fingers, very simple and effective.

·
Registered
406 Posts
be careful carrying any weapon if you are not sure what to do with it, because it can be taken away from you and be used against you, if you choose to carry anything at all, you must be mentally prepared to go all the way without hessitation.

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
5,114 Posts
I do not carry any weapons and have often thought how someone could just walk up, knock me off and take it all. I really do not ride alone anywhere that is secluded though so I guess I hope strangers would help. Yeah right!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I do not carry any weapons and have often thought how someone could just walk up, knock me off and take it all. I really do not ride alone anywhere that is secluded though so I guess I hope strangers would help. Yeah right!
On the other hand,i have ridden to many places in the country at all hours of the day, and have yet to encounter any kind of problem, for the most part, you need to be aware of your surroundings, but also you need to learn to relax, this world is still full of nice people, most bikers would probably keep an eye on you to protect you if thay saw you somwehere not very safe, i speak for myself, i usually keep an eye o women that ride alone, just in case they ned some kind of help, although that too could be misinterpreted, just go out there and enjoy your rides, just make sure you always have a good running bike, if you are concerned, set up some kind if container, something like a cup holder and put a can of pepper spray in it, in a manner so that you can grab it fast, you probably won't ever need it though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I carry a Gun, and a Baton, I have had a guy pull out in front of me and stop lessthn 40 feet, lock both brakes, slid sideways 35to 40 feet, they were Laughing, a dude gets out rips his shirt off, he was gonna wear me out until he got 2 feet from me , i pointed a 25 Berrta at his face, he left Quickly

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
I like riding alone. I carry a icepick, mace and airhorn. Have not used them yet but just in case...

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
5,114 Posts
I carry a Gun, and a Baton, I have had a guy pull out in front of me and stop lessthn 40 feet, lock both brakes, slid sideways 35to 40 feet, they were Laughing, a dude gets out rips his shirt off, he was gonna wear me out until he got 2 feet from me , i pointed a 25 Berrta at his face, he left Quickly
**** that is scary as heck! Glad you had one. I have never had guns, afraid it would just get taken and used on me.
I recommend veeeeeery fast bike

:D
I like that!!
LOL....well my 1500 is pretty fast ;-) I should have titled the thread "Walking Alone". It's not while I am riding that I am planning for....it's in the event I have to stop riding! :)
No kidding huh? I too think watching your surroundings is huge!

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
When you ladies ride alone, what do you carry or do for self defense? My only hesitation with riding alone is if my bike breaks down or I have a flat and have to walk to an area of cell reception or wait for rescue....Do any of you carry a knife, mace, or? Have you ever had to use it?
my wife rides knowing if anyone harms her they will disappear somewhere in Jersey:cool:

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I never worried about carrying any sort of weapon when I commuted to work on my motorcycle. Maybe I was fooling myself, but I felt pretty safe where we lived in Colorado. I *did* always have my cell phone with me, though!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
you usually have one weapon on hand..your helmet...
Its true, ANYTHING you have on hand can be used as a weapon. Even your keys in your hand can be an effective weapon.

However, with that said, IF you decide to carry a weapon, beside the legal repercussions of carrying one/using one on a person you need to realise that when you pull a knife/etc. on someone, it essentially becomes a life of death situation. Just like jesus_granados said "if you choose to carry anything at all, you must be mentally prepared to go all the way without hessitation." If you carry anything at all just be prepared to USE IT. Don't think about killing someone or if you will go to jail, it is a life or death situation, otherwise you wouldn't have your weapon out, would you?

*EDIT* - That said I forgot to mention that pepper spray is a good non-lethal defensive weapon to carry any time, just remember not to use it willy-nilly. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
I made a quote previously, about I carry a Gun, Pistol, and a slide Baton, I have had 2o shoulder sugeries on my R- shoulder, my left is coming out of socket,my L - Rotar cuff is tore, I assure you if some one has intentions to do me bodily Harm, he picked the wrong one, I have a Licience to carry a fire arm, any body can carry a baton, if it comes down to him or them or me, if I can I will put them 6 Ft. under, sorry if you feel different

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I don't think anyone was really disagreeing Slim, They were just giving alternate methods of self defense than a Gun. Spraying someone point blank in the eyes with pepper spray will result in a pretty debilitating burn to the eyes, even permanent blindness. This would give you time to run away. Also it is a lot more readily available to the general public than a firearm.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.