Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Personally me, I'd rather spend the money from the jacket and buy a better helmet...Shoei RF1000/X-11 or Arai Quantum2 or Corsair. You are going to have to try helmets on for fitment, but my money goes into my helmet first. Old adage - If you have a $100.00 head then buy a $100.00 helmet. Not saying that your choice is wrong- just wouldn't be mine.

The Speedmaster is a top of the line jacket though from Joe Rocket. If you want to save - down grade your jacket and upgrade your helmet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
about the Helmet... I personally bought a Shoei rf900 not for saftey cuz well if a Helmet is DOT and SNELL aproved they met the same standards.. but for me it came down to a comfort thing.. i can wear my Shoei all day and it wont hurt my head.. and abou the Jacket i have a Joe Rocket (Mesh) but personal i dont really like Joerocket... there kinda like Nike sure there cool and everyone has it but the quality isnt always there.. but i guess thats with everything but just my oppinion.

·
Registered
605 Posts
no, sometimes the quality isn't there, you're right.

And I own a kbc and an hjc simply because they fit good, little road noise and they are both DOT and SNELL, I don't have to own an ARAI or shoei simply because the name, if it fit me better I probably would.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
71_307 is correct. JOE CRAPPET is CRAP ! you couldnt pay me enough to wear JOE CRAPPET stuff. ive seen to much of their stuff come apart and not protect you like it should.
personally i dont wear anything other than FIELDSHEER www.fieldsheer.com . i have a leather and mesh jacket and they are both 1000000000 X better than the JOE CRAPPET stuff.
as for helmets, ive been wearing AGV for the last 12 or so years and LOVE THEM. they are super tight for about 5 rides then the fit PERFECT !! and both AGV and FIELDSHEER have AWESOME customer service. i wrote fieldsheer about missing my back protector in my mesh jacket , they CALLED ME and sent one out to me free of charge. i wrote AGV about thier visors and had a new one within a week (the visors are supposed to be scratch proof, that works fine but after time the stuff starts to flake off)
as for SHOEI / ARIA , ive tried them on and they feel no better than my AGV. i think you pay for a name with those helmets. im not saying they are junk , im just saying i get the same quality for less money.
but ya know its your money and your body. so you do what ya need to do.
ive tested all my gear and its kept me alive so thats all that matters (trackdays and street riding) :wink:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Haha, Joe Crappet... I have to agree. It is pretty stinking cheap though. And the only reason why I got pants, jacket and gloves from them. I hope to get some real gear soon.

I would second a good helmet idea. I bought a KBC VR1 because it was in my price range. I would love to wear an Arai or a Shoei... but I don't have a $500 head :) I'm thinking my whole body is worth about $450 (what I spent on gear) so there's my opinion.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Its not that I don't value my body and safety. I never ride without my gear. Motorcycle riding is not that high on my financial budget. Kids and monthly bills, etc. I have had good results with the middle grade full face from JC whitney motorcycle catalog for my helmets and gloves and chaps. My riding jacket came from Wilsons Leather..their Open Road jackets are very nice and not too expensive if you get them on sale.They even have some that fit women. I found my riding boots on ebay for $20 gently used.

Heather

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The AC-11 is a great helmet, my roomate has had one for over a year now and its still a very good helmet. The big thing on a helmet is fit, everybody has a different shaped head and if a helmet doesn't fit properly it isn't going to protect your head.

For a leather jacket I suggest checking out the clearance stuff at www.newenough.com you can find good quality leather (and textile) for a lot less money.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just bought an HJC helmet. I 've owned Shoei, Bell, etc., but I followed the advice of the Arai rep on Two Wheel Tuesday plus the guys at the local Kawi dealership and bought for comfort and fit. The helmet is DOT and Snell rated. You should buy what you can afford, but remember that without getting the"best" protection for your melon, it still looks like pulp when it hits the ground.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Snell and DOT minimum on the helmet and I definately support of fitment over brand. Some manufacturers only make one style of fit while others make multiple shapes for different heads.

I disagree with the overall statement of Joe Crappet as a name because Rocket gear has a place in my book. Yes, it's less expensive than others. Heck - why don't we all go get a Dainese suit or Vanson leathers then right? The armour is CE rated and in my recent crash the armor and jacket did what it was supposed to do.

Non - leather is not my first choice, but if you live in the heat(100) the way I see it - mesh gear is better than a t-shirt and shorts. Being recently banged up gives me better insight as to what additional protection I needed during the crash ie boots with ankle protection, better knee coverage and shin protection.

Both of my knees are black and blue from slapping the tank so hard and the ground after that when I got hit. I was almost thinking that some of my football gear would actually resurface if I can find it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a mesh Joe Rocket jacket myself and I am very happy with it. Although Joe Rocket gear tend not to be the brand of choice of veteran riders.

When it comes to buying helmets my buddies always say: "How much is your head worth to you?" And others say that as long as it is DOT and Snell approved approved it should be a good helmet.

Of course there's always the fit. The right fit is very important. You don't want a helmet fitting you poorly since it plays a big role when you crash. A helmet with improper fit can cause neck injury in a crash.. even leading to death (happened to a friend of mine). Also, if you get a helmet is uncomfortable, you're gonna feel the effects on your long rides. :x

The difference between Shoei's and Arai's versus HJCs and other cheaper brands is the way the shell is made and the material it is made of. I'll post the web link for the comparison once I find it. :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
well, my jacket isn't mesh, you can look it up under an old post of "new jacket" or something like that. It's textile with armor and I wear a blue/white KBC or my jet black HJC and I look a little out of place...as long as it's comfortable, of good quality, and can take a lickin when necessary I don't give a rats behind what the name is.

P.S. nothing to do with this, but I recently found out on the highway that once i'm in top gear I can put my feet back onto my passenger footpegs and go into a fully agressive seating position, as opposed to the full aggressive position with the legs forward...I thought I'd share that cuz I loved every minute of it...I'm on the search for a sportbike once more.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Stuart said:
I recently found out on the highway that once i'm in top gear I can put my feet back onto my passenger footpegs and go into a fully agressive seating position
that just gets ya into positon for a perfect SUPERMAN POSITION INTO THE CAR/TRUCK THAT PULLS OUT IN FRONT OF YOU and you cant use the brakes to full effect when needed. :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Stuart said:
I recently found out on the highway that once i'm in top gear I can put my feet back onto my passenger footpegs and go into a fully agressive seating position, as opposed to the full aggressive position with the legs forward...I thought I'd share that cuz I loved every minute of it...I'm on the search for a sportbike once more.
Wow, that sounds really cool! I like how you phrased it as "fully aggressive." :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
QKENUF4U said:
that just gets ya into positon for a perfect SUPERMAN POSITION INTO THE CAR/TRUCK THAT PULLS OUT IN FRONT OF YOU and you cant use the brakes to full effect when needed. :wink:
I'm pretty sure I know when I should and shouldn't use it, just like my throttle lock, i'm extremely smart when it comes to numbers and figures :) so this is why I've planned ahead and have already started creating a way so that my front brake cable stops my rear also....

As for gear shifting if ever there were an emergency top gear is more than enough to roll on to 80 in a few seconds or I can just pull in the clutch and slow down like all else, otherwise it only takes 1/2 second to get back into normal position 8)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Death

Brain dead is just that DEAD! Losing an arm, leg or breaking somethig is just not as bad. Put your money into a helmet not by brand name but something that is SNELL approved and FITS properly. I have (now) only two helmets. I destroy the helmets that are used so tha tno one will try to use them after me...they are worn out...Try to end up with at least two that are perfect fit, have sound deadening and don't bind your cheeks, forehead, and are not loose...then worry about some type of road rash protection. I still wear either my denim or Vanson leather, depending upon where I am riding. My Vanson is to small and I'm sending it to my buddies girl-friend to use. I will get another Vanson for the highway use. I like my denim for the backroad 35MPH areas, where I am not on any highways and only on residentail or backroad country roads. You only have one head...get two helmets one at a time and try not to buy the same brand of helmet...you will find that after a month or so tha tthey are not the same in noise reduction, and overall quality...then as things go on get rid of your not-so-great helmet for one hat you believe is better than the one that you use that is the bettter helmet...eventually you will run out of helmet manufactures, or choices that you prefer, or that fit and will have maybe three that you wear all the time...and can replace them as they wear out...Helmets protect your head, not just just from breaking but from shock, brain-swelling...probably the most important peice of equipment...Military boots are great because they are great leather, lace up and really protect your legs and ankles...and are cheaper than the motorcycle boots. Pants can be purchased at many stores and varous thicknesses and strengths. Carhart, makes some serious pants, but leather is hard to beat...the old addage...you don't see cows getting road rash...they aren't falling off of motorcycles at the speeds that you will be driving either. I've gone down on the track wearing a very thick denim (specially made for me in Hong Kong for my bike) at 90MPH and only scuffed up the jacket. I out grew it...just like my Vanson Leather...a leather jacket or leather riding gear is Cheaper than one visit to the Emergency room, and a LOT less painful.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GEAR

When you go into a store to try on a helmet, try on a new helmet also, besides the display one...as you may find tha tit does NOT fit the same. AS far as ordering out of a catalog, I say BULL CRAP! First of all it may not fit the same an it may not be just what you ordered...teh you have the restocking fees, and waiting for the gear, or equipment to arrive. Beartooth Kawasaki has gone to great lengths to provide us with a web site to share information with each other. If it's a piece of equipment fo ryour bike then order it through Beartooth...they have a free number, and a discount...if you are certain that a certain helmit will fit then order it from them...but BC on the catalog orders from a warehouse that does not support the manufactures of motorcycles...especailly your brand i.e. Kawasaki. Dealers depend upon our returning for equipment and parts to stay in business. Their mark up on some bikes is very minimal..just ask KAWI, or someone in the Kawasaki motorcycle business how much they really clear on a Ninja 250R! The depend upon your tuneups, airfilters, oilfilters, chains, sprockets, and related kawasaki equipment to provide for us to keep their doors open for us...Think about it...Seriously... I have a serious problem with shops carrying cheap garbage replacement parts over the genuine parts. You can't find many shops willing to carry Vanson Racing Jackets because they cost so much...so There is one place where I have to go out and get my own gear. I want the best protection that I can Buy. I will drive 50 miles not to go to my local rip off dealer to visit another kawasaki dealer selling the same equipment at a price that is not OVER the manugfactures Suggested Retail Price. You will find some shops in big cities that have the cornere on the market so big that they literally rob you...where else you going to go, but perhaps 50 miles farther away? Dennis Kirk, MAW, all the Catalog places could give a Rats Hiney about what you ride, and they are not in the business to support your dealer. If you don't support your dealer then he will eventually have to either bring his prices down to a resonable cost or close. Support you r dealer, or at least try to support our Forum Sponsor for some items...Beartooth is not making a dime from the Forum, only off of the merchandice that they sell to those of us that believe in supporting the cause....cause they provide a service that is not only national, but international...anything that you want to know just ask... ask about the 2005 ZZR-600 and find out that it is only a ZX-600 that has ben available in places like canada and is unchanged now for the past several years...the 2004 ZZR-600 is a better touring bike. Ask about the Ninja 250R and then compare it to the ZZR-250 that they have in Canada...no more steel tubing frame, 16" rims.....but an aluminum chassis with 17" rims...a better taillight system and turnsignals and a better fuller fairing..still not available to us in the US...Yeah, I have some complaints, bitches and moaning...Kawasaki USA could do a better job...but why when they can make more money off of a cheaper bike for the Kawasaki Corp of USA? Greed, or just not interested in providing something better and charging a little more for it....more inventory...more everything to contend with...leave well enough alone,,,they provide one 250 model......I believe in supporting Kawasaki and the dealers. The dealers can't get teh ZZR-250's here for us...or they would...I really believe this...So we have to buy what is available and enjoy it...after-all ther are other Kawasaki's available to us. THE Ninja 500R is a serious bike that may live on for anohter couple of decades even...It's just that good of a bike.. The ZX-600's have had changes the past 3 now 4 years, if you really read in depth about the heads, pistons and things that have changed on/in them. I don't NEED a racing bike, but they are awesome light weight bikes weighing less than the 500 by 33 lbs!!! They weigh far les than the ZZR-600...just jump in start reading the fine print, specs and you will be amazed at what is going on...Kawasaki is seriously moving forward, and not standing still in the racing world.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey guys Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse www.mawonline.com has a great deal on a Black HJC AC-11 in Size Medium in their Inventory Reduction Sale!! :D

I just bought mine for $109 with free shipping and handling!! Yooohooo!! :D That's the best price I could find by $20.

Free Shipping and Handling is today only and you have to use the following:

TO RECEIVE THESE "SPECIAL" PRICES YOU MUST TYPE THE FOLLOWING AD CODE UNDER "SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS" ON OUR INTERNET ORDER FORM! >>> USE AD CODE 12128

Stay safe!! :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey ZX-2R I WISH I could support the Kawasaki dealers here in Austin TX but HOLY COW, everytime I go to their dealership I feel like I'm getting ripped off just by stepping into the showroom!! :shock:

Everytime I need a part I go there first and get a quote, then I get quotes from other places and I find that our local dealership wants 30 to 40% more than any other dealer!! :shock: I for one, don't have money to spare so I take my business elsewhere. Support your local dealer only if he supports you!

If our local Kawasaki dealer closes, so be it. If they can't find a business model that will allow them to stay in business and keep their custumers happy somebody else will. :D By the way our local Kawasaki dealer has several dealerships around the country and they're pretty big. Oh and the other guy selling the same part for less than my local dealer is also making money on that part. Which is OK for me!

Stay safe!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have an ac-11 and it's great. everyone talks about all this weight difference with helmets..but if you look at all the differen't specs, they are not that different weight wise. I have a 45 min ride (one-way) to work and my helmet never gets 'heavy' on my head.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts