Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to combine my riding and geocaching, so I just got a handlebar mount for my GPS receiver. Seems like a really great way to combine two fun pasttimes. I just wondered whether anyone else here geocaches.

Julie

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
I only tried to geocache once about a year ago for a local cache. I looked and looked but was unsuccessful. Turns out the owner had checked it the weekend before, found water in it and took it home to dry things out. I haven't gone back to try to locate it or any others.

I did buy a RAM mount for my 650 that fits my eTrex. So far I've yet to have a chance to try the GPS on the bike. It would seem like motorcycling and geocaching would go well together (another good excuse to ride) like amateur radio and geocaching go well together.

- Nate >>

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
QKENUF4U said:
ok ill bite WTF IS GEOCACHING ???????? :?:
GOOGLE is you're friend, do a search & see what you learn :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
My favorite thing to do on my Sunday rides is to try to get lost on purpose. It's harder than it sounds...

I think a GPS would defeat the purpose.. :shock: 8)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have the opposite problem; I get lost without trying :lol:

I've always wanted one of these things. Maybe that'll be my Xmas present to myself this year. Anyone have recommendations?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Since we are on the subject of GPS's - How well do the gray scale GPS's work in the sun vs color. I am afraid to look at the color ones because I feel they will not be visible as well outdoors?

Are there any compact ones that have voice as well? I was going to plug it into my com harness - has my apple ipod, cell phone and two way radio set up and one additional spot for a GPS.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
CLUELESS

I know that Garmin is located here in OLathe, KS about 7 miles from my house. I'm sure that they have refurbished units. geocaching??? may have to look that up. Seems that being raised on a farm, then going through Navigation school in the Navy and teaching Navigation in the Gaoast Guard Aux...I get confused about my locatin when I'm extremely tired like being awake fo r54 hours straight,,,but I'm never lost, shadows, fog, trees, many resources like mountains etc give you clues as to your whereabouts and direction of travel...daylight is great because you can see an actual bowl upside down over a city, and clouds, smoke... smells, even debris in it's smallest forms. I'd love to be out in oregon and Washington again for a week or so and live with my backpack...or perhaps Mass, Maine, PA, KY somehere where it is nice and peaceful...The desert is great and even there you can't get completely lost...I think that (personally) GPS is a great thing for people that want to get someplace directly and don't want to spend time looking, learning about the environment around them to solve their solution...sorry for being negative...but it is positive if you believe in yourself and your abilities. IF you need to find the heart of a city and you're 200 miles away, then I suppose it has it's immediate gratification of knowing...advantages of what streets to turn on whre you can make shortcuts on highways, how to get across country...how to get on a street address when the streets don't go thorough, city uses I could definately use one for those reasons. Getting lost...not likely to happen for some of us...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
LOST?

Maybe it's a guy or EGO thing but when streets DON'T go through, ther is always a Sonic, McD or someplace for food that as an answer on how to get to a certain address...I'm not completely ignorant...as perhaps the previous reply may have sounded...the city can be a little confusing

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, let's see... where to start.

I have friends who've logged over a thousand caches. Sometimes a cache gets "muggled" (meaning somebody steals it--it happened to one of mine), but usually they're where they're supposed to be. The hunt is really fun. Sometimes it involves a hike. Sometimes it's right on the side of the road. Some of them are very well hidden and can be quite challenging to find. But once you get into it, you'll get hooked. It's a lot of fun.

I have a Garmin eTrex. It cost a couple of hundred dollars. It has a grayscale display, but I haven't had any trouble reading it. I suppose if the sun is shining on it just right you might have a problem, but I think that would be true with the color displays, too. I don't know of any receivers that have voice, but then I don't know *that* much about them.

For fun, go to geocaching.com and enter your zip code in the box at the top right-hand corner. It'll bring up a list of caches near your home. Click on them and read the descriptions. They're rated according to difficulty (how difficult to find, how difficult the terrain is). You get the coordinates, which you enter into your GPS receiver, and then you follow the compass to find the cache.

There are virtual caches (nothing hidden--just information you gather and send to the cache owner to prove you were there), traditional caches (which have a log that you sign and usually some objects--you can take one as long as you replace it with something else), multicaches (where the coordinates take you from one location to another), etc. Some of the caches involve figuring out a mathematical or other type of problem to get the coordinates.

Anyway, I love it, and riding to the cache on a motorcycle instead of driving in the car sounds like a great idea. We went for a ride today with our neighbors. I would have tried to cache if they hadn't been with us. Maybe tomorrow...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FOX and Hound Exercises

Now I get it......have to get a better computer...before I can get a GPS receiver. It'd be nice for navigaton in the open water when ther is no land in sight...with set and drift/wind and current you are not always going where you thing you are going. Missing a small Island like Catalina, off the coast of Newport, Ca could prove dangerous if now for the big boats their radar whe all you have is a hand held compas at 60MPH without a navigator...been there...not fun when you can't see land and the ocean is acting up...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Other uses

Besides MPH/KPH you could also use it for times...speeds and exact location...I guess it could be fun...for exact locations...it just takes out all the compass work and distance measuring that we used to have to do...just like a microwave (I just learned how to use one 4.5 years ago) it's great...just have to be aware of it's abilities...

·
Registered
98 Posts
ZX-2R, your un-aided navigation and using a GPS are like hunting with a bow and hunting with a modern high power rifle. One leans more on the technology; one on personal skill. Both require proper use and knowledge of the tools you have. It's like riding, pick the road that gives you enjoyment on your ride. After all, it is your choice.

I was planning on visiting all the state parks on my motorcycle, now a have somthing else to do. My honey-do list just keeps getting longer.

Fatcat

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ACTUALLY

Actually I DO understand. It's just that we already have several generations of people that eat fast food over family setdown dinners. Prepared foods over doing the real thing at home. Both parents working, send the kids off to summercamp/summerschool. Two week vacations to places that are hurry up vacations...Interstates instead of US Highways...Most people have no clue how to use their senses, and know how to survive in the woods or desert...I'm proficient with guns, arrows, Dental floss is one of the greatest things next to a couple of needles for survival. It serves many purposes. Survival is important and sometimes (majority of the time) it is important to remain in your location to be found...should you know survival techniques you can leave markers...you can stay still and use mirrors, shiney things to draw attention to aricraft,,,many things that people today just aren't aware of because it has been left behind. Interesting,,,how many families in the last month have ste down to play cards, or even board games? Do you know how to play dominoes? Canasta, Pinochle, Cribbage... Do people know how to prepare a rabbit (any game) to eat over an open fire. Okay...I like technology and I'm facinated by it...I've been in Electronics for over 30 years, even BioMedical and MicroComputers...I love electronics...I like GPS..sure is easier tha figuring star time while you are out in the open ocean and using a sextant, and finding the right stars...just pushing a button... The only reason that I don't have a GPS is that I can't afford on...but I think that we are leaving the old ways behind and it is important to know the old ways. I can kill enough bullfrogs to feed a dozen people around this part of the country for over a month, just using my bow and some arrrows. I don't need my compound bow to do it...in fact it's like shoot ing a squirrel with an overpowered rifle when just a .22 short (even) would do the job. I think stirring the pot of thought is really important and perhaps it will encourage people to think more for themselves. Like a lady in town was locked out of her van because the battery died on her keybob...so the officer took hte keybob an dunlocked the door with the key. Sometimes people just don't think enough. Julie is smart, I'm not insinuating that she isn't...My point was that people need to think more and use their own sources...then again she has a point when yo need to find something and be there right away. I might take to long if I was in the mountains or even the desert to find someone in an emergency situation...Technology has it's place...Sorry if I came over to harshly...

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
My reason for having one, besides its being a cool gadget, is more for ham radio use although I've found it comes in handy for calibrating speedometers. To use one there is no requirement to have it connected to a computer. I've had mine for a year and it's not been to connected to any of my PCs. Unless you have to have the latest map files uploaded into the GPS or have a lot of waypoint data to download and play with on the PC, a computer connection isn't needed.

The Garmin units come with a default map built in for the U.S.A. The map shows most small towns except my home town (grrrr) and is reasonably accurate for travel when looking for highway junctions, etc.

Geocaching is just another interesting excuse a few people thought up to get out of the house. Seems like a good idea to me!

- Nate >>

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Nice

Along with my signature...
KB0SCK
Lindsey J. Angell
the rest is in the call book
C913-219-7614

Once I'm out of financial trouble see "OFF TOPIC", Prayers, if you believe in them... I may have to stop off on 151st street and see what Garmin has in refurbished (prefered) equipment...

·
Registered
8 Posts
jukief said:
I want to combine my riding and geocaching, so I just got a handlebar mount for my GPS receiver. Seems like a really great way to combine two fun pasttimes. I just wondered whether anyone else here geocaches.

Julie
Hey Julie,

I do. I've got a 60cs. I've wanted to check out the RAM mounts for my ZX6 but will probably look into that sometime next year. Unless there are caches that specifically say "motorcycle friendly," I doubt the ninja will be seen on any hunts. Most of the ones that I have been to require a fair amount of hiking (not all, but most). I've got this thing about leaving the bike at the trailhead only to come back to find it muggled. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts