Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I remember reading in the manual that any time you ride in wet weather, you should check your air filter for contamination. Does anyone actually go so far to do this - pulling the fuel tank every time they ride in the rain to look at the air filter? I'm preparing myself to ride in the rain as needed this season, but really can't imagine going through all that trouble each time. I know a lot of folks ride their bikes to work, rain or shine.

If it is this much of a concern with the factory paper filter, I may install a K&N drop-in, but am not sure if that will make the motor run lean.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I rode in the rain many times(even very heavy rain). I never did anything with filter and my bike runs well.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Kawasaki

Kawasaki has the stock paper filters..which do a great job, but if you get water in your airbox then the filter can get wet and then your filtering is no longer functioning as wet paper will make it run rich...even after it dries up. That is their major concern...one valid reason to go to an aftermarket IF you actually follow the instructions and clean it properly then actually oil it properly...the water won't hurt them...

·
Registered
154 Posts
EX 500 has a foam filter, not paper. Its air box is about size of ZX9R and it's doing job very well. If you get water inside, you will know that (you will hear a sound like a gun shoot).

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
AIRFILTER

Actually you are right about the foam/paper issue....but the foam tears very easily...I had wet paper on my mind as it is raining here and I was tryin to papertowel my paper to read part of it...,,,I think most of the filters are actually foam...some are just made alot better than others. My 250 manual said clean up to 5 times and reoil before replacing...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Guess maybe I dreamt the ex500 had a paper filter :oops: . I feel better knowing it is foam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts