Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning it was a nice morning at my place... 57 degrees...just a great morning! Jumped on the meanie, took off noticing a heavy dew had fallen. My ride to work is about 25 miles to the north so I take off. About 7 miles on my way, I hit the thickest fog I have ever seen. Nothing but a GLOW in front of me...visibility to the edge of my headlight. I could not see any vehicles coming towards me until they were about 50 feet away. I made it to within one mile of work and you guessed it...no fog!

What a ride! I sure could have used a windshield wiper...my left glove was soaked!...LOL

You guys and gals in the coastal states can keep your fog!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
You guys and gals in the coastal states can keep your fog![/QUOTE]

+1---- On my ride home the fog set in through the hilly area I take. I couldn't see the yellow line on the road. I slowed to a crawl so as not to upset the apple cart, and don't you know some impatient cager comes up behind blasting his horn and blinking his high beamers at me.

It was clear enough coming down the other side for me to loose him in the dust, but I made sure I showed him my finger before I hit the throttle.

D

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I bet that experience was a little scary. It happened to me before...not thinking that the fog was very spotty but real dense in the valley. I literally had to swing my head to the left or right of the windshield, because it is all fogged up and I can't see ahead. On top of that it was still dark which makes it a lot more difficult. The best thing to do is to slow down and not tailgate.

Glad to you made it out of the fog ok.

Regards.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
I'd be more concerned with what's comming up behind me, and hope they can see my tiny tail light. Glad you're around to post.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be more concerned with what's comming up behind me, and hope they can see my tiny tail light. Glad you're around to post.
I rode my brake as soon as I saw any signs of traffic behind me...probably will need new pads now...LOL Thank goodness for the "backoff" brake module too...kept it flashing!

Thanks for all the responses....ride safe!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
i throw my flashers on. FOG 1 - Relli 50 (so far since the accident)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I rode in fog just one time, I was on my way to band practice, about halfway there I see what looks like smoke on this marsh. I'm thinking, hmmm, there must be a marsh fire out there. Nope. Fog, thick and heavy. The ride home from practice was the most white knuckle ride ever. The thing that got me was the fog just chilled me to the bone, even with gear on. I had to ride with my face shield up because it kept fogging over.

It happened one other time, I had ridden to practice, and it got foggy by the time we were done. I parked the bike and had someone give me a ride home. I think my drummer must live on an old Indian burial ground or something, it's always foggy there!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Can't speak of Fog, however another situation we have out west, especially along I-10 between PHX and Tucson is the Haboob which occurs in the summer time.

The Sand Storms totally engulf the road and more accidents occur during that time because when people pull off to the side of the road they keep their foot on the brake causing the person coming up from the rear to to think that they are still moving and bang! run into them.

Multi car pileups occur, DPS (State Police) advise when motorist encounter these conditions to make sure your really off the road and foot off the brake. Would be a bummer on a bike to run into these condition but can happen.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, it was just the glove this time....LOL The "pucker factor" was sure high tho....LOL

I rode in Maui this past year and the blowing sand was crazy...I think i would rather have the fog! LOL

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
I've never ridden in dense fog and can only imagine it is much, much worse than in a cage.

·
Xpylut
438 Posts
I rode my brake as soon as I saw any signs of traffic behind me
adjust your brake light switch so the lights are flashing with just a tap of the lever.......

I just tap my front brake lever whenever I need to wake some dummy up behind me -
apparently the backoff flasher does have some effect on them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess the word "rode" was a bad term...that's it how I was doing it...tapping all the way on the front lever. Sure was glad I had the backoff on there...really paid off.

BTW, no fog this morning...WHEW!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
ZOOKE works well-available online. doesnt shed moisture per say but does make the shield crystal clear with no fog over in rain ect...

·
Registered
223 Posts
We don't offen get fog here in Florida but if we do it is in January when the water is cooler than the air temp. I left for a ride from Clearwater to Sarasota (75 miles) around 10AM on last Saturday....temp was about 65F with a bit of fog around. The route crosses the Sunshine Skyway Bridge which is about 200 ft above the water and usually is an awesome view. As soon as I started up the bridge I was into thick fog, couldn't see past the headlight and the windshield was wet. I agree, fog is the worst. Cool part was that at the top of the span I was above the fog in bright sun looking down on the layer of fog that felt similar to flying in an airplane above the clouds. That only lasted a few seconds and I was back down into the fog again but it cleared up at the bottom.
ED

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
Is there something like rain-x to put on the windshield to help the moisture form drops and blow off?The rain-x bottle says not to use on plastic.Maybe it works just fine.I live in a very humid area and see fog often. mike
I use Plexus, available at my local Honda dealer. Other folks use Pledge.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts