Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I shucked off my responsibilities this afternoon and decided to take a ride out to the beach for the first time. I REALLY did check the forecast but somehow I missed the "wind gusts" up to 25 mph part and headed out to the ocean over high rise bridges on an already windy day......:eek:

I did OK and never felt really scared - but maybe a little nervous and unsteady. Does anyone have any hints about riding in strong winds? (Other than hang on!):lol: Thanks! Got one more question but I'll start a new thread for it.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
thats about all you can do....when i know its windy though, i will wear a full face as the dust can get into your eyes even with sunglasses on a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet....my wife was the safe way early on, but after getting caught in heavy rain and 30+ gusts riding home one eve, she has mastered her fear...

it just takes time and experience. if in doubt of any riding condition, pull over, rest and wait....

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats about all you can do....when i know its windy though, i will wear a full face as the dust can get into your eyes even with sunglasses on a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet....my wife was the safe way early on, but after getting caught in heavy rain and 30+ gusts riding home one eve, she has mastered her fear...

it just takes time and experience. if in doubt of any riding condition, pull over, rest and wait....
Thanks for the good advice and words of encouragement. :D I wouldn't hesitate to go back out in the wind, but rain....now that's a whole different story. If there's even a hint of it I won't go out. Just not ready for it yet.

·
... at the old, ballgame!
1,061 Posts
Somewhere on this site I read the following advice: when riding in the wind, take extra care to relax your arms. The reason given was this: when your arms are tense and rigid, any movement of your body caused by the wind is going to transmit down your arms to the steering. If you (try to) keep your arms relaxed, they will absorb that motion and help prevent unwanted steering input.

I tried this on my Christmas day ride. While I can't say for sure that it prevented a lot of unwanted steering input (the wind wasn't blowing that hard), it did keep my arms and shoulders from getting sore.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Somewhere on this site I read the following advice: when riding in the wind, take extra care to relax your arms. The reason given was this: when your arms are tense and rigid, any movement of your body caused by the wind is going to transmit down your arms to the steering. If you (try to) keep your arms relaxed, they will absorb that motion and help prevent unwanted steering input.

I tried this on my Christmas day ride. While I can't say for sure that it prevented a lot of unwanted steering input (the wind wasn't blowing that hard), it did keep my arms and shoulders from getting sore.

This is absolutely true,keep your arms relaxed,it'll make the ride a whole lot smoother. I have experienced REALLY strong and unexpected gusts of wind hitting me from every direction while going 80-90 mph and it can be scary but the best thing i can tell you from my experience is to stay VERY alert and react/shift positions (tuck your arms,your body,put your knee out etc.. ) acording to how the wind is hitting you. When i was riding on those conditions,i remember tucking so close to the tank i only had 1/4 of my helmet sticking out of the windshield haha.

Be careful and stay alert for those side winds that push you around the lane.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Only been riding about a year, but on this one, I'm experienced. I ride over two bridges to get to my favorite rides, which also takes me right at the edge of the Atlantic. So strong gusts of wind are frequent companions. It was a little hairy at first, and I had to work up to that first bridge ride.

The automatic tendency was to use a death-grip. But when I relaxed my grip as well as keeping my body in the "relaxed but ready for anything" position, I found it much easier to deal with. For me, that means elbows slightly bent, knees hugging the tank tight, shoulders and body leaning slightly more forward than normal. And it should go without saying, but I'll say it just in case - absolutely nothing hooded, hanging, or loose on your person or bike.

Good luck - you'll develop your own method, but I hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much everyone - all of this info has been fantastic! Thinking back, I did have a "deathgrip" and I know my arms were rigid. I also felt the instinct to lean forward, especially at the top of the bridges - and I did at first but then tensed back up bacause I was unsure about it. It's something I'm going to have to get used to living here on the coast, and the help is much appreciated!

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
Definitely keep your arms relaxed - that makes a huge difference.

Sometimes, around the flatlands of Kansas, things can get pretty gusty. The best bet is to keep practicing in those conditions and, pretty soon, ut'll be second nature. I found getting used to gusts helps me when riding around semis on the highway, as well

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
It is amazing to me how far back the wind disturbance is from vehicles. Add external wind from the side and it becomes quite a dance at speed. If you are on the interstate and getting blown around, sometimes you can find rest next to a semi, at speed, before continuing your journey.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for more great advice! I was at dinner with friends tonight talking about this and they both made comments about how much my ride straightened out once I relaxed my arms.... I wouldn't have realized it without the comments here I don't think! :) I am still new enough that I try to avoid the interstate and take back routes when I can - have only been alongside the big rigs a couple of times but I can see how that's something that will also take some getting used to.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks again for more great advice! I was at dinner with friends tonight talking about this and they both made comments about how much my ride straightened out once I relaxed my arms.... I wouldn't have realized it without the comments here I don't think! :) I am still new enough that I try to avoid the interstate and take back routes when I can - have only been alongside the big rigs a couple of times but I can see how that's something that will also take some getting used to.
The back roads are more fun anyways. The highways are just straight and boring. :lol:

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
It is amazing to me how far back the wind disturbance is from vehicles. Add external wind from the side and it becomes quite a dance at speed. If you are on the interstate and getting blown around, sometimes you can find rest next to a semi, at speed, before continuing your journey.
Make sure you aren't in his blind spot.

I find I get more turbulance when meeting a tanker truck than a flat-sided truck. And I'm amazed at the turbulance set up by smaller vehicles - like Jeeps and other such SUV-type vehicles.

Keeping your speed up to normal and just relaxing the best you can will help. And, remember, there is a point where the wind is too much and you need to get off the road till it dies down.

I've ridden in steady 30-40 mph winds, 50 mph gusts, and river-gorge wind currents - I hate wind!!!

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I've been known to practically lay out over the tank to minimize the effects of the wind. At times, I've ridden in wind so bad, it just felt like someone had ahold of my jacket and was shaking me as hard as they could - for miles on end. In those cases, I tuck in behind the the windshield and try not to be a wind break.

Leave yourself plenty of room around other vehicles to avoid their turbulence making it worse and to give you room in case a big gust blows you off line.

Make sure your riding gear is adjusted nice and tight so nothing acts as a sail to catch the wind.

Avoid the interstates as much as possible since those things are just huge wind tunnels.

Finally, don't be a hero: if you don't feel good about being out there, pull over and at least rest give yourself a bit of a rest.

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
Windows 7

Hi all - I shucked off my responsibilities this afternoon and decided to take a ride out to the beach for the first time. I REALLY did check the forecast but somehow I missed the "wind gusts" up to 25 mph part and headed out to the ocean over high rise bridges on an already windy day......:eek:

I did OK and never felt really scared - but maybe a little nervous and unsteady. Does anyone have any hints about riding in strong winds? (Other than hang on!):lol: Thanks! Got one more question but I'll start a new thread for it.
Wind is definitely a problem but much worse with a windshield. I have been on interstate on windy days and tractor trailers push me back when they come up beside me and then pull me faster as they pass. I have to roll off completely sometimes just to break free.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm just not sure if you guys realize the tremendous amount of knowledge that I'm getting here! If you type a line or two, and then I add it together with what the next person says...all this info is really invaluable to a new rider like me. I know that's what the forum is all about, but I honestly had no idea I'd be getting so much out of it when I joined. (Including making a bunch of new friends!) Thanks again. :biggrin:

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,305 Posts
I was riding last July on I-90 and we had a steady but very strong cross wind, the guy I ws riding with also has a VN900, but its pretty much stock, and it seemed to catch the wind a lot. My VN900 has a fairing and beetle bags, and seemed much smoother in the wind. We were also both having to lean into the wind a bit, sure glad the wind was steady. Last year I rode to Red Lodge on A VN750. They are a lot taller, and a lot lighter as well, which on a quiet day is great because the VN750 will scream down the road, but around trucks and SUV's the buffeting was terrible.

About All I felt of the buffeting around trucks was that my boots got caught in it, but the bike was steady like it was on a rail. So in this instance,, size DOES matter! :)

We did eventually get off the highway and headed south on a very long deture, but we missed the hailsstorm that most everyone else ran into that day, adn the wind was less severe once we got off the intestate.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
About All I felt of the buffeting around trucks was that my boots got caught in it, but the bike was steady like it was on a rail. So in this instance,, size DOES matter! :)

We did eventually get off the highway and headed south on a very long deture, but we missed the hailsstorm that most everyone else ran into that day, adn the wind was less severe once we got off the intestate.
ROTFLMAO :lol:

I'm really glad I went with the 800 rather than starting with a smaller bike for that exact reason.

Glad you missed the worst of the weather too!

·
Registered
152 Posts
As much as I love my 500, I will be moving up to a heavier bike after this coming riding season, and the big, main reason is trucks on the highway. She has lots of zip, has a DynoJet pack on it, is so responsive to a gentle touch, but I dread getting sucked in near trucks on the highway. I do better on the bridges, actually, because I know what to expect going over them, based on how the wind is blowing elsewhere. Hopefully, the heavier bike will "ground" me more, or at least give me some confidence to think it is!

(Just aside, I also joined the Patriot Guard Riders, but late in the fall, and haven't participated in a mission yet. Dad was a 20-year Navy vet, so its a way for me to honor him)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.