Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have one of the multi use jackets for riding? One that is a combination of waterproof, textile, mesh, and could be used for summer or winter riding with multiple zip in/out liners? If so, what kind do you have and how do you like it? Looking for something versatile that could be used in a variety of situations.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use the Tour Master Transition Series 2 jacket and it keeps me cool and dry in the heat of Georgia summer, and warm below 40*f! If you want an all in one jacket I would say the Tour Master Flex jacket would do the trick!

Some links to some other jackets you might want to try...
http://www.newenough.com/street/clo.../jett_series_2_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

http://www.newenough.com/street/clo...ocket/atomic_3_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

http://www.newenough.com/street/pro...hat_trick_mesh_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

·
Cruzin on a V-Twin
81 Posts
I have a Power Trip jacket. It has a zip off shell exposing a mesh under jacket. It came with armour and a water proof liner. Not a bad jacket for the price.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought an Ixon Sismic here in Oz. It is a three piece, mesh outer with elbow,shoulder and back guards. Inside is a removable quilted liner and a removable thick plastic rain coat. Velcro cuffs and at the top and bottom of the front zip. Excellent in our climate. Heaps of pockets. Love it ! Also have a leather jacket for extended trips.

·
Vulcan 1600 Classic
490 Posts
I have a First Gear Mesh Jacket!!!! It's the only jacket I own and prob ever will. . . . I live in south Florida... so in the summer when the heat is 90 plus... i ride without the liner. When the weather gets cold in the winter (50-60) I zip the liner in.

Love this jacket!!!!!

Jim

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
If you live where the temps go from below freezing to upper 90's like here, it's hard to have a single jacket that covers all those needs. I use a Power Trip mesh in the warm weather, and a textile when it's cool. The mesh has a waterproof liner, and the textile has a quilted liner for when it gets colder. I layer up and have ridden in the 20's, and with wicking type undershirts like underarmor, the mesh jacket keeps me relatively comfortable in the high temps.

·
2007 Vulcan 900 Classic
172 Posts
I have a Tour Master Intake jacket that I've been using for 3 years. I'm in San Diego and have worn this in temperatures from 45 to 100 degrees. Below 45 degrees, I switch to a Cortech Denim. So far I count this as one the better purchases I've made.

·
Elmer
281 Posts
My FieldSheer mesh has been getting a lot of use on these hot days, its very light weight, fits good, and the armor feels fine but I don't see myself ever using the rain liner that came with it.

On the cooler days I love my leather but its very heavy and if I can't wear it I don't want to carry it around when I am on foot.

Touring I always reach for my Darien Aerostitch. It won't win any fashion contests but it is waterproof, light weight, and roomy enough to layer when the need arises. I think the ideal riding jacket would be a waterproof, soft, form fitting textile with soft armor.

I'm not fond of the pieced together look of so many textile jackets on the market now. Reminds me of Dolly Pardon's great song "Coat of many colors".

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
I have 2 leather jackets, one really heavy and warm, one lighter but still full real leather. Both are great warm jackets.
But, when I ride I wear my Joe Rocket textile. Zip out lliner as is standard with all of these, have worn it at 36º riding, and at 88º I wish I had bought it first and saved over $300. The JR was on closeout at an online store for $59., found one locally for $50.00

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use the Tour master Air Intake. I live in the northeast, it gets very cold and very hot here. I have been out in the 20's wearing a sweatshirt and tee shirt underneath, very comfortable. In the hot humid summers, I use just the jacket, it's all air until you stop, but once you are moving again it's fine.

There are others that work also as mentioned above.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have some sort of Tourmaster AIr. Exact model I have not a clue. My local deal had it and it was on close out. It had a couple of stains on it and did not come with the liner. Being in central Fl I didnt think this was a huge deal. So price was good and I liked the fit. I have worn it in 90+ and been fine. I will say though that when you stop for fuel or a break it comes of rather fast at those temps. I have used it in 20deg weather too. I have a quilted liner that zips from when I was in the AIr Force and I put it under that and am warm as a bug in a rug. As far as rain I allways carry a rain suit so I'm no help there. I also took the big pad out of the center of the back and the elbow pads out as they mad it hot (the back one). Lots of good places to get good deals on jackets and stuff. These 2 places are high on my list.
http://www.leatherup.com/
http://www.jafrum.com/

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Tourmaster Flex2 here. Love it, best jacket I've ever owned. It will keep me dry, warm, or cool if necassary. I don't even bother taking an extra rain-specific jacket with me anymore, this thing works so well.

I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tourmaster Intake II. Has outer mesh (with built in armor), zip in liner under that (wind and rain) and zip in thermal under that. All-in-one jacket (gotta love it). It's nice being able to pack just a small liner in case it rains or gets cool in the evening. New England weather can be unpredictable some times.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Currently I have 3 jackets. I have a Joe Rocket Leather "Rocet Nation" jacket, Joe Rocket, Corona Racing Textile, and Joe Rocket ZX (Kawa Licenced) Textile. The Wife has the Heartbreaker Textile.

The Corona Racing Jacket was the one of the first jackets I got back in 2005. Nice Jacket, warm not very water resistant. The Leather worked in all conditions, yeah it got a little hot when it was 90 degrees, we just rode faster. The ZX Textile I bought last August for the BTK PA ride because I wanted a jacket that was cool enough for the august heat and water resistant to the point where I didn't have to pull over incase of a passing shower.

The New textile material (Hitena) Joe Rocket uses is much nicer then the older stuff in all aspects (Flex, Water, Weight) You may have leaking issues around zippers but that is it and even then unless it is a downpour it is minimal, The fabric though does not leak. I even called Joe Rocket for an explination of "Water Resistant" for their jackets and that is the exact reason I got. They said the material is 100% waterproof but due to the possibility of leaking at the zippers they list it as a resistant jacket.

Temperature wise, in temps 45F and below I wear a long sleve tshirt and usually an under armor and I'm good to go with the ZX Textile. The wife is cold in 80 degree weather so she switches to her cruiser leather and layers so much she looks like the Randy from The Chistmas Story.... :lol:

One thing I do love about Joe Rocket is their jackets are fat guy friendly. If you wear a 2xl or 3xl shirt size or need a 52-56 jacket they are who you want. Icon, Fieldsheer, and I think S&S all run small. Hell my very first jacket I got was a Fieldsheer mesh and I had to get a 5xl yet it was only a 52-54 and it was still small. Icon love and buy their helmets, and their leather jackets are nice, but the jackets are sized really small. When I was shopping for a leather I needed a 54, I ordered their Daytona Dead Man's Hand jacket when it first came out. They have a 52-54 listed as 4xl. Let me tell you I was very disapointed when I tried it on and it was every bit of the 52 range. Since then I have been a faithful customer of Joe Rocket and have never had an issue.

I have purchased 5 Joe rocket jackets so far and all have been excellent. I even had a low speed lowside wearing the Corona one. Other than a small tear in the fabric, it held up well. The 5th jacket I bought from them was the Reactor 2.0. I sold that one because I ended up loosing a ton of weight and it was so big it was flapping in the wind. That is when I bought the Corona and shortly after the Leather.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts