Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Getting a set of Bags, http://www.buywillieandmax.com/cat_saddlebags1.cfm

the demensions are 14 Wide by 12 high by 5.5 deep. I want to mount them. It looks as though the turn signal would
have to be relocated back. I guess I'll buy the supports and then figure a way to connect to that.

Has anyone else done this ? Is it very difficult ?
Is there any issues with moving those lights back ?
Anyone have any idea for tricks to Rigid mount the bags ???

·
Registered
710 Posts
Looks like these bags are designed for over the fender/under the seat type application but given the reinforced sides you definately can separate the bags (will need to use a utility knife here) and use one of the rigid mount systems. I just bought the EZ mounts from Ebay for $116 in anticipation of ordering my new bags in the next month or so. The bags that you are looking at seem to be of pretty good quality for the price. I'm not sure about the reloc kit but I'm assuming that you have the 800 because for that size bag a reloc kit would not be necessary for the 1500, which is what I have.
Let us know which ones you end up ordering and also if you are pleased with them once you have them on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
****wol said:
use one of the rigid mount systems. I just bought the EZ mounts from Ebay for $116
Can't find anything like that on Ebay or any of the online stores...
Your saying there is an actual kit to mount them... I get the impression you
have to get the supports then cut a sheet of either aluminum (didnt spell that right) or Plexi as a backing... then attach it yada yada

**** if there is a kit, I'd buy it !! Gota link ?

Thanks..

·
Registered
271 Posts
not at all. look great and you don't have to have the usual chrome saddlebag supports.
takes about 2 seconds to remove with the Key lock

Dave
I have a few pics I can send that show close up of bags installed and off

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would totally appreciate a few pix... & nice to know you are in the Houston area as well. send to: [email protected] thanx

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot to both of you... This is exactly what I had in mind.. just couldnt find it.

Mucho gracias amigos

·
Registered
159 Posts
My first set of saddle bags for my 800 classic was purchased from EBay and were made of heavy leather. They were a slant cut bag and were of the over the fender type. I purchased the Kawasaki saddlebag supports from fire and steel. I then mounted the bags permanantly to the bike this way. I cut the over the fender strap off at the bag. When you buy the saddle bag supports they give you longer bolts to bolt the support to the bike. I lined the bag up the way I wanted them to sit on the bike, marked the bags in the back where the bolts were for the supports on the outside of the bag and drilled two holes in the bag at that point. Then using big washers or you can use a pieced of metal that would fit between the two bolts, I inserted the bolts with large washers through the back of the bag into the fender support and secured the bolts. I then punctured two holes in the bag at the bottom of the support, tied the bottom of the bag to the support with wire ties. The bags are now mounted permanently. Wanna remove them to clean? Just unbolt them and take them off with the supports. Do one side at at time so you dont drop the fender. As far as willie and max, i dont know how rigid they are. I have seen some vinyl bags on bikes that seem out of shape. Also seen them distort in the sun. I think the leather is the better way to go. I personelly removed the leather bags I had and went to a hard shell bag that looks like leather bags. They are made by Leatherlyke and are a very nice bag that can be easily removed and locked. But they were very expensive. close to $500. With the Leatherlyke bags they sent me a relocation kit for the rear signal lights. All it amounts to is a bracket, the same size of the distance between the two lights now that bolts to the license plate frame. You need to add some wire to the lights an you could probably make the bracket yourself. Paint it black or try to buy a piece of chrome. thats about it. They worked well for me mounted that way for all of 2 years till I changed the bags, then sold the old ones on EBay with the supports.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was just thinking of doing this same thing to my 800 Classic. Since I installed my Solo seat over the winter I just don't like the look of my throw over bags. I was thinking "why spend all that money for those locking bags? I could just put in some fender washers and some longer bolts to go through the bag from the inside and in conjunction with the bag bracket, it should do well." I am glad to see that someone else is thinking like a "real biker". A do what you can with what you got attitude has gotten us bikers through alot more than a bunch of chrome. But, the chrome is pretty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Finished the marriage of my soft throw over bags to my saddle bag racks. Really cleaned up the look of the back end of the bike with the solo seat. I actually ended up installing the brackets INSIDE my bags so that it looks like the bags are just hanging there in space. My brackets have a flat steel brace across the top and then heavy gauge rod going down and back up. The bracket is actually just a shade bigger than the inside of the bag so I had to actually stretch the leather over the bracket. When I bolted them up and added the black heavy duty wire ties to secure the bracket to the bag it finished out real nice and made them very sturdy.
Good call knightrider...I LIKE IT

·
Registered
159 Posts
GOOD jOB, GLAD IT TURNED OUT FOR YOU. HEY, YOU CANT BUY EVERYTHING YOU WANT AND SOME THINGS COULD JUST BE MADE. MAKE UM, THATS PART OF THE FUN OF RIDING.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts