Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who would your recomend for aftermarket rims for a '08 ZX6R. im looking for light wieght stylish. any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
That is such an expensive upgrade that unless you are a racer or track ***** you won't see mucho benefit. The shop I go to has PVMs but the thing is they are so busy with BMW now that motorcycle rims seem out of the picture. They look great and are lighter but it depends on the material the rim will be made of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great thanks for the suggestions. as far as the suspension goes im calling to my dealer about upgrade them already. he briefly said something about prosuspension. Ive never heard of them but im doing my research.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
That is such an expensive upgrade that unless you are a racer or track ***** you won't see mucho benefit.
I really disagree. You won't see a big speed difference in the bike, but the difference in handling is substantial, and the brakes will work better because they don't have to fight against as much spinning weight. You'll also want to get the rims before getting any major suspension work done, as putting them on afterwards will necessitate going over the suspension again. All that said, suspension work is the very second thing I'd do to any bike unless I knew I was going to put lighter rims on right away. (The very first is setting up all the bars and controls to be comfortable)

Marchesini, Dymag, or PVM are the current 'hot' rims to get. Personally, I'd stay away from the carbon fiber ones just because some people have had problems with them leaking. But that's just my personal paranoia. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I really disagree. You won't see a big speed difference in the bike, but the difference in handling is substantial, and the brakes will work better because they don't have to fight against as much spinning weight. You'll also want to get the rims before getting any major suspension work done, as putting them on afterwards will necessitate going over the suspension again. All that said, suspension work is the very second thing I'd do to any bike unless I knew I was going to put lighter rims on right away. (The very first is setting up all the bars and controls to be comfortable)

Marchesini, Dymag, or PVM are the current 'hot' rims to get. Personally, I'd stay away from the carbon fiber ones just because some people have had problems with them leaking. But that's just my personal paranoia. :biggrin:
Since the stock rims are aluminum to start with you're going to shave maybe a couple pounds off per rim by moving to a lighter medium, save for something like carbon fiber.

Considering a set of PVM aluminum rims are going to run you around the 2000 dollar mark, I'd have to say that no, it's not worth it, and no, you won't know the difference. Any improvement to handling and braking can be made by buying better suspension and braking components for about a tenth the price.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
great thanks for the suggestions. as far as the suspension goes im calling to my dealer about upgrade them already. he briefly said something about prosuspension. Ive never heard of them but im doing my research.
There are a few...Big ones are Ohlins and Penske...Then you can have a local shop re-spring and valve it which LE Engineering does for a living. Having suspension done and geared for your weight is sooooo noticeable and advantageous is is night and day.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts

It will make you handle better which makes you faster and give you that "ride on rails" feel...That is why when you go to tracks and meet racers, their suspension is always done up...3 things to make your bike go faster. Controls are important but not like the bottom 3. Already i have started the the brake changes on my bike from my master cylinder to break lines, swapped out the tires to grippier CORSA IIIs and already I know I am faster in turns. Rims are to lose weight than any "major" performance gain...Gearing and chain conversions help as well.
You want to track or race...Do these 3 things as most racers and track hookers will agree on.
Suspension
Brakes
Tires

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Since the stock rims are aluminum to start with you're going to shave maybe a couple pounds off per rim by moving to a lighter medium, save for something like carbon fiber.

Considering a set of PVM aluminum rims are going to run you around the 2000 dollar mark, I'd have to say that no, it's not worth it, and no, you won't know the difference. Any improvement to handling and braking can be made by buying better suspension and braking components for about a tenth the price.
Exactly...Suspension and brake components will give you more noticeable performance gains...Braking in late in a turn slows you up but responsive braking will eliminate this...Also, suspension...Unless you have not done it, it is a huge night and day difference in turns...Spend you money wisely and ask guys who ride track or race...Rims is last on their list of upgrades.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts