1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It just depends on how much you want to spend. Don't know what bike you have but the stock risers on the VN800a are about 1 1/2" tall and you can get them pretty cheap on e-bay.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It just depends on how much you want to spend. Don't know what bike you have but the stock risers on the VN800a are about 1 1/2" tall and you can get them pretty cheap on e-bay.
Well, as my signature says, it's a mean streak ;)
money is not the primary object. Correct size and looks are more important.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Just got my 16" apes delivered, with a pair of XL gunner grips.
Now it's time to start looking for raisers, but is there anything particular to have in mind when shopping risers for apes?
I'm only 5"11 so I probably want the bars quite low (not too high risers).

I really like the twisted ones but I'm afraid they are too high?
Show Chrome 4 Twisted Risers for 1 and 11/4 Bars - Motorcycle Parts and Accessories - Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600 Chrome Accessories
If you are going to install 16" apes, than I wouldn't install much of a riser, and more importantly, I wouldn't install one that that have any degree of pullback. When they are up that high, you barely pull them to you and achieve the same thing. Also, if you do install riser's underneath the apes with pull back, you will have to live with it where ever it ends up, and the bars could very likely be too close to you that you will be uncomfortable, and cramped.
Just my opinion...

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are going to install 16" apes, than I wouldn't install much of a riser, and more importantly, I wouldn't install one that that have any degree of pullback. When they are up that high, you barely pull them to you and achieve the same thing. Also, if you do install riser's underneath the apes with pull back, you will have to live with it where ever it ends up, and the bars could very likely be too close to you that you will be uncomfortable, and cramped.
Just my opinion...
Thanks Greg! Finally some constructive input. :D
Sounds very reasonable and I'm definitely gonna have that in mind.

Honestly, I'd just look for some normal, stock style, risers. If you want you hands higher, buy bigger apes. JMO.
Thanks.

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
Questions:
1. Why didn't you want them after you changed to apes? (too high?)
2. My bars are 1"1/4. Will they fit? (You wrote that it will fit any 1" bar)
3. No problems fitting them on a MS?
4. I live in Sweden. Quite expensive freight cost compared to the value, right?
No, they will not work on a 1-1/4" bars. I didn't use them because the apes are high enough.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
If that is the case, buy taller apes.
yes and no. apes are not for everyone, and highth is also a strong personal preference. Here is my 1500 with stock 2" risers, and 18" Burly bars giving it 20 inches. You decide for your self. Most folks go with 16"
Oh I AM happy I went that high, I luv it!

Attachments

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reading your responses on this thread, I am not wasting anymore time with you.
Pardon?
When did I offend you? By asking why you think I should get taller apes?
English is not my native tounge, so if I've written anything that looks ok to me but is offending to you, I'm really sorry.

I know I can be a bit sarcastic sometimes as well, and maybe it doesn't always shine through... :roll: :D

·
Project Bobber
450 Posts
I've been running 4" raisers with 12" apes on my VN800 and it has been fine with a total of 16".... but I still wanted a bit more, so I have just stared installing 16" apes on the same raisers giving a total of 20". I find them fine for riding and I'm only 5'8......

Ape bars will always open discussions, but they are just personal preference. Go with what you like on your bike, thats why you have custom bike, to make it yours..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.