Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try the risers on the cheap that I read in an earlier post, until I can get all the stuff I need to put apes on my 06 900lt. Does anybody have any tips or guidence you can offer on the best way to remove the risers and install the new extended set up.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
1. Cover your tank and fender with towels or rags in case of a slip[ of the handlebars.

Also what risers are you getting?

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
Risers

I want to try the risers on the cheap that I read in an earlier post, until I can get all the stuff I need to put apes on my 06 900lt. Does anybody have any tips or guidence you can offer on the best way to remove the risers and install the new extended set up.
I used D2moto and got 4-1/2" risers with a 1-1/2" pullback on my 900 LT and love them. It really made a difference in the driving position but I still want mini apes. All you have to do on the risers is drill out to 1/2". The stock cables still work fine on 4-1/2" but that's about the max. I get D2moto discounts all the time that gets the cost down to about $35 or so if you need it.

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Thanks for the info. I did not know that. You guys really are creative.
Well some of you new guys might want to check out my 900 exhaust de-baffle thread in the how to section. I didn't come up with the proceedure, but I tried to give a clear how to. I love my pipes...my bike fell over and damaged my de-baffled pipes. Now I have another set of de-baffled from a member here...you can't beat those huge factory pipes in my book.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/projects-how-write-ups/75454-complete-de-baffling-vn-900-exhaust.html

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
Well some of you new guys might want to check out my 900 exhaust de-baffle thread in the how to section. I didn't come up with the proceedure, but I tried to give a clear how to. I love my pipes...my bike fell over and damaged my de-baffled pipes. Now I have another set of de-baffled from a member here...you can't beat those huge factory pipes in my book.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/projects-how-write-ups/75454-complete-de-baffling-vn-900-exhaust.html
I actually used that for my debaffle project. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I really love the sound now.

·
99%er
239 Posts

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
But didn't like the feel so i took them off.
i put riser extensions on mine at one point. liked the height, but it just didint feel right. put some mini-apes on with 5" risers, and it was MUCH better. its the equivalent of a 13" ape. i think the bend in the bars is what makes it a good feel or not. the stock bars just dont have the right bend for that kind of height. I didnt think so anyways.

this is with the extensions:

this is the right way :)

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
i put riser extensions on mine at one point. liked the height, but it just didint feel right. put some mini-apes on with 5" risers, and it was MUCH better. its the equivalent of a 13" ape. i think the bend in the bars is what makes it a good feel or not. the stock bars just dont have the right bend for that kind of height. I didnt think so anyways.

this is with the extensions:

Me likey! How much over stock did you have to go on the cables? Where did you get the mini apes? I have 4-1/2" risers now with 1-1/2" pullback but I think I could still make the 8" mini apes work.

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts

[/QUOTE]

What is the width measurement on those mini apes. I think the stock bars are about 34" across. Are the minis about the same?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

What is the width measurement on those mini apes. I think the stock bars are about 34" across. Are the minis about the same?[/QUOTE]

Thats the way to go. How tall are your mini apes?

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
O.K. here goes. im going to answer a couple questions in one shot here. lol
the handlebars are Flanders A2 mini apes. 10" high, 10" pull back, and 34 1/4 wide.
the risers I got here:Chrome BILLET 5" Solid Risers Set for Harley Big Twin & XL Sportster - www.debrix.com
they were 55 bucks. there was a mod needed to fit them. they use a 1/2 bolt rather than the 10mm bolt kawi uses, so you just dirll out the top tree to fit the 1/2" bolt. no biggie.
cables. the only cable I needed to go over on was the clutch. the stock one worked, but was stressed on full-lock to the right, so I replaced it with a 4" over before it broke. the pic shows the stock clutch cable, it wasnt swapped out till after this shot was taken, so you can see how the stock cable fit is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts