Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
riding to work today i was coming around a left hand bend..... not a very sharp one, so i was sitting on about 110kph (nearly 70mph) and part way around the corner, right in the MIDDLE of the lane is a dead kangaroo :eek: to cut sharper might have put me into the guard rail..... to go too far right (remember, we ride on the correct side of the road over here ;)) would have put me into the side of a coal truck coming the opposite direction :eek: Somehow, i sat the bike up a bit.... and just touched the kangaroo with my left boot..... 6" to the left and i was gone.... a bit more to the right and i might have clipped the truck..... scared the tripe out of me!! had the butthole puckering so badly i could have chewed a caramel with it :lol: Needless to say, i rode the rest of the way to work a little higher on the seat and 20kph slower.....

Anybody else had any experiences with unseen road kill?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Glad you came out alright, now my advice leave earlier for work and you won't have to speed. Relax. :cool:

By the way how does road kill roo taste?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you came out alright, now my advice leave earlier for work and you won't have to speed. Relax. :cool:

i always get to work a little early. and i was only speeding by 6mph ;) our highway limit is 100kph (62mph)

Never tasted kangaroo..... road kill or otherwise :eek: They sell it in the supermarket here..... but i have never bought any.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
You should get some next time Aussie and slap it on the Barbie, beautiful.:biggrin:

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
Very glad you pulled thru that one unscathed. :smile:

I've had a few scares with Road Kill at night. With lights from cars coming the other way, it seems to reduce the effectiveness of my headlight, and I've been surprised with a few Road Kills that I never saw until I hit them or passed them.

Scary, scary, scary.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Ran up on a deer yesterday. It was nasty cuz it was all over the road. I had to go around it in the oncoming lane! :shock: Fortunately, it was a long straight road & I had plenty of time to prepare.8)

Hey Granny, I didn't know you guys ate roo's! Never really thought about it...........can you jump higher or anything???! ;) :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Now you know white men can't jump.
One of our National emblems taste very niiiiiiiiiiice and is actually leaner then beef.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Yeah I had the same kind of thing happen. But at least mine was a raccoon and i hit it dead in the center. After I kept going I thought well I am still riding.... that's a good thing...LOL

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
its so hard for me to fathom a dead kangaroo in the road
They are on the move mostly at sunrise and sunset and can cause a lot of damage to your car/bike and you.
Plus they are considered a pest and there is a cull every now and then by professional shooters.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
I could see that, when I petted one, they are like killer whales, solid muscle all the way through

just being in the states, its hard to think of them running around free.

arnt there like 100 different kinds and sizes though ?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Only 2, Reds and the smaller Grey but there are many different varietys of Whallaby which look the same but are quite small.
And they are only out in the outer suburbs and country. I am about 20ks/15 miles from the city of Adelaide in the southern hills and I do see them around near where i live. Had a Koala in my front yard once and they are also quite dangerous (believe it or not) very sharp and strong claws.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I hit a paririe dog doing 90mph as he came out on the highway to check on his dead buddy. I barely felt the bike run over him. He was laying beside his dead buddy when I looked in the rear view mirror. I've also come upon dead deer in the road but had enough time to manuver around them.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Never tasted kangaroo..... road kill or otherwise :eek: They sell it in the supermarket here..... but i have never bought any.
It's kinda stringy, like a pot roast, but as the meat fibers break away they're also somewhat rubbery. maybe it was just the way it was prepared. :confused:

No, I'm not kidding, either.

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
Oz has roos...we have bambi (white tails)...and both are a danger to bikers and cagers alike - especially at dawn and dusk. Bake road riding is not without peril!

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
close call

....Never tasted kangaroo..... [/QUOTE said:
Brother, you got pretty close to tasting a bunch of it that time!
Glad to see you dinnittwistit. That would have been a most ignominious fate for you and your fine retro rocket.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I ran through a patch of deer blood that was at the bottom of a steep hill at a traffic light. The deer was laying on the side of the road, and I didn't even see him. I was trying to stop for the light,when all of a sudden I started to slide right out into the middle of the road. thank goodness there was no traffic coming.
I do know that pucker you're talking about. :eek:

D

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
Glad you came out of it with only experience and without injury! I knew those kangaroo's where dangerous... one time i saw one beat the roo out of a mascot... funniest thing i've seen in a long time too haha

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
I do know that pucker you're talking about. :eek:

D
Don't we all. I had a pucker last week. It was raining and I got caught in it. I had a hard time seeing with my FF sheild getting pounded. I was Going around a decreasing radius curve to the right and after I apexed the turn I noticed a box truck coming towards me.

I was going to0 fast for the road conditions and was afraid to lean the bike any harder, since it was so slick, and I fixated on the truck as a target! :eek: Thank God for the MSF class, otherwise I would have panicked.

Needless to say that I didn't become a hood ornament, but I had to force myself to trust my girl and lean her harder than I was comfortable doing.

Man, that was scary.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts