Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im still REALLY new at riding and im really worried about how ill handle certain situations or if ill even be able to get away from certain types. My girlfriends car just got egged last night when she went into the vid. store for 2 freekin minutes, apparently they did a driveby and got all the cars in the lot (in 3 degree weather no less), its happened to my mom even going down a country road at night around here. I guess these small town kids cant think of anything else entertaining to do. So im wondering how id deal with getting egged while riding down the rd. minding my own business, its bad enough getting pegged by a bee or bug or something. How do ya'll handle things like this and road ragers? Ive heard some pretty cool headed stories on here. Apparently some people will literally even target motorcycle riders even though we are way more unprotected than someone in a car. Seeing as how im so new i dont want to have an accident trying to get away from someone. I have a feeling ill be learning a whole new meaning of the word control this summer. Any pointers appreciated.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I know it's easy to say and sometimes almost impossible to do, but: stay calm and get safely away from the road rager. Slow down, turn a corner, speed up (if safe to do so), but basically get as much space and preferably out of site of the road rager with NO INPUT or even acknowledgment from you. No finger, no fists, just get away.

Now about the kids throwing eggs, if they pelted me, I'd be slamming on the brakes and chasing the little buggers as fast as I could. Grab the miscreant by the ear and march him home and let his father deal with him, knowing how ****ed off you were. This is different than a true road rage incident. When I was twelve, we got an unexpected snowfall, we usually didn't get snow in our area, so my buddy and I thought it would be cool to throw snowballs at the passing cars. We were nailing cars and seeing the brake lights come on, cars skidding on the ice, great fun! :) Until we nailed the car of some older teen agers, guys probably in their early twenties. They slammed on the brakes, skidded to a stop sideways and all four doors flew open at once, and four mean looking ****ed off guys came running our direction yelling obsenities and how much we were gonna hurt when they caught us. We were frozen for a few seconds then booked it out of there and thankfully got away. But man did that leave us shaken. Did I ever throw stuff at cars again, nope, not once. ;-)

There have been a couple threads on road rage, just search "road rage", and there's good tips in there.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
It is hard, esp here in S. TX where every one thinks cause they drive a truck they own the road. I work in a helicopter depot and have been Soooooooo
tempted at times to fill apocket with ball bearings and let them slip out on tailgaters etc...

But I digress that is not the spirit...tempted only

Staying cool is your key to staying alive...been riding 27+ years and tell you what, as soon as you do lose your cool, the other guy has won, more importantly, you lose the "bubble" and your mind is out of self-protect mode and into anger, get the ******* mode...and next thing you know, cager, road gator, oil, gravel or whatever gets into your safety zone and your gonna eat it.

Its hard...it appears you have a military background, remember the ROE. Cant hit'em till they hit you...near misses don't count... stay safe GOD Bless!

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
i've had a few close calls while riding and usually i just brush them off as another stupid move on a cager's part. I try to look at it like i'm a cowboy and they are all cattle and every now and then i have to get my horse out of the way or the stupid cow is going to run me over. Of course there have been times where i know the blatantly pulled into my lane and looked at me the whole time they were doing it. Those times are the ones where i wish i could just smash there fender with a hammer or at least kick a dent into the door. lol The only time i get like fighting mad is when i have my wife 2 up on my bike. Then your not just putting my life in jeopardy but hers and you will hear from me about that type of behavior if anything just to make myself feel better since they probably cant really hear me anyways. lol

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
First thing to remember is 3500 lbs and air-bags vs 800 lbs and leather. Calms me right down.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Have not ever had problems with anybody throwing stuff at me. Not sure how I'd react. Definitely know that I don't get pi$$ed off easily. Was cut off by someone once that I flipped off and he slowed down and was playing games with me. I just pulled off the freeway and waited a bit for him to disappear. Then went on my way, being aware this nut could still be out there. Main thing is, is NOT lose your cool. If you do, pull off and take a break so you can get your mind back into paying attention to the road and not on that idiot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I put in well over 100,000 miles per year on the road. 80+ grand just for work. I also have a CCW and carry all the time. Keeping ones head is a must in my situation, although there are times where I vision the removal of some POS from the breathing and helping mankind with one less reckless driver.
In most instances you will encounter these fools for less than 10 miles a few moments of your lifetime, not worth the trouble in the long run and miles yet to go.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
First thing to remember is 3500 lbs and air-bags vs 800 lbs and leather. Calms me right down.

ding ding ding.............that is the perfect answer.

just like we say on every group ride, if we run into an a-hole, let them through, we dont want a jerk road rager taking out 10 bikes to prove a point

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Stay off of I-465, U.S. 31, U.S. 37 north of greenwood, I-70, Madison Ave, Meridian, Binford ave, ANYTHING between 10th and 38th, 86th street, and 96th and you should be fine. Anywhere else traffic seems fine. Stay out of the west side in May and August. Just stay out of Carmel, those rich asshats can't drive.

·
Scootter_man
157 Posts
I grew up in Carmel from 1976-1980. It was all farms back then, I was floored when I went back there last year to see the neiborhood. We had one school (Mohawk Trails) and a gas station. Same f'up roads still there but 100 times the people. I laughed when I saw lines of cars at lousy 4 way stop signs.
I thought only Michigan drivers were idiots..

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
Last time I got egged was on the interstate at night going under an overpass. Didn't know what it was at first but when I stopped I found out. I promptly went south in the northbound shoulder, stopped just short of the overpass, and put 4 .45 rounds in the bank. Then I yelled that I was gonna kill them all when I get up there and started scanning around with a 4-cell, really bright flashlight. Then I called 911 and left.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Last time I got egged was on the interstate at night going under an overpass. Didn't know what it was at first but when I stopped I found out. I promptly went south in the northbound shoulder, stopped just short of the overpass, and put 4 .45 rounds in the bank. Then I yelled that I was gonna kill them all when I get up there and started scanning around with a 4-cell, really bright flashlight. Then I called 911 and left.
So does that mean you were Peed off??

·
Banned
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stay off of I-465, U.S. 31, U.S. 37 north of greenwood, I-70, Madison Ave, Meridian, Binford ave, ANYTHING between 10th and 38th, 86th street, and 96th and you should be fine. Anywhere else traffic seems fine. Stay out of the west side in May and August. Just stay out of Carmel, those rich asshats can't drive.
Ditto on all that!!:biggrin: I dont even like to drive my car anywhere north of the circle downtown, specially the upper north side, its a totally different world, and yea 70 is my nutty commute every day but wont happen on the bike for a while yet.
I think the best one yet was to just pull over if i have to and just sit there until im good to go again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts