Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it snowed a little this week and they again salted our roads. I am not worried about the pebbles and handling, but when this stuff is dry is there any risk to the bike itself? The weather will heat up a little next week and the roads should stay dry, and would like to get some riding in, but don't want the finish of the bike and rims getting messed up.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Any moisture will have the salt activated. At your first chance wash the bike really well especially in places where the salt has reached(like in fender areas and frame sections).

If possible use compressed air or a shop vacuum exhaust to dry the freshly washed bike to minimize corrosion.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,239 Posts
Any moisture will have the salt activated. At your first chance wash the bike really well especially in places where the salt has reached(like in fender areas and frame sections).

If possible use compressed air or a shop vacuum exhaust to dry the freshly washed bike to minimize corrosion.
+1

I always try and get it off the bike as soon as possible

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I don't ride in the winter even if the roads are dry and previously salted because, I don't want rust. its a cancer that is un-stop able.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much of it actually gets on the bike though if the roads are dry? I guess the ground up dusty stuff may stick.

The cars are covered in it, but that have been wet, driving through it, and then dry.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,316 Posts
you betcha aluminum corrodes - I park my bike once they put salt on the roads.
I said rust...not oxidize. Aluminum naturally forms a protective oxide layer. If removed, its replaced immediately, stopping any further corrosion (unlike steel which will continue to corrode once the process starts). The only time there is a problem is if you are exposing the aluminum to a constant source of corrosion...salted roads aren't enough to do it. I rode my 900 through last winter...not a single spot of rust. I'm riding my ZX-14 through this winter...not even a spot of rust on the chain (granted, its covered in lube that protects it).

To each their own, but you're far more likely to damage your cage driving on salted roads than you are your bike...far more nooks and crannies that don't get cleaned on the cage...not to mention, more steel.

·
Xpylut
438 Posts
Aluminum naturally forms a protective oxide layer. If removed, its replaced immediately, stopping any further corrosion
as an airplane mechanic and 30 year pilot, I seriously have to disagree with that. aluminum pits and flakes and will eventually disintegrate. for all the corrosion issues on airplanes, they use NO salt on runways or taxiways. I treated my own airplane for corrosion.

I refuse to take my bike anywhere near a salted road, but your bike is your bike.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,316 Posts
as an airplane mechanic and 30 year pilot, I seriously have to disagree with that. aluminum pits and flakes and will eventually disintegrate. for all the corrosion issues on airplanes, they use NO salt on runways or taxiways. I treated my own airplane for corrosion.

I refuse to take my bike anywhere near a salted road, but your bike is your bike.
As a mechanical engineer, I can tell you without any doubt, this is the way aluminum behaves. The only way it corrodes is if there is something present that prevents the oxide layer from bonding (hence your flaking...there is something present that is preventing the oxide from bonding to the aluminum).

"Salt water DOES NOT corrode aluminum!
You may have noticed that you never see aluminum
corrosion in lakes, pools, food packaging products, etc.
Typically, if you have seen corroded aluminum, it was in
or near the ocean. While it may seem logical to draw the
conclusion that the salt water must be corrosive to the
aluminum, it is not. Salt water does not corrode aluminum
because of its neutral pH. A sal****er solution can, however,
be a major facilitator for galvanic or dissimilar metal
corrosion, a more complex corrosive process."

"Is aluminum corrosion proof?
The Aluminum Association states, “Unless exposed to some
substance or condition which destroys this protective oxide
coating, the metal remains resistant to corrosion. Aluminum
is highly resistant to weathering, even in many industrial
atmospheres, which often corrode other metals. It is also
resistant to many acids.” 2"

http://engineer.cmiwaterfront.com/whitepapers/aluminum_corrosion.pdf

;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have seen major pitting on a harley I rode through winters, all over roads covered with snow & salt. where I could clean stayed great, but where I couldnt get to pitted fast, maybe if I had wanted to pull engine to clean it wouldnt have pitted.

any crevice you cant get to will collect salt, & will slowly deterorate.

Randy

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
I should also note, some aluminum alloys are less corrosion resistant than pure aluminum...but still...salt on the roads will do nothing.
I wish I had pictures of my friends old V45. he rode that thru one Wisconsin winter, and it detroyed his mags and his cases. all of which were alum. pitted them like nothing Ive ever seen.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,316 Posts
I wish I had pictures of my friends old V45. he rode that thru one Wisconsin winter, and it detroyed his mags and his cases. all of which were alum. pitted them like nothing Ive ever seen.
I have no less than 3 aluminum transmission cases that have been through far more than that (one of them 40 years worth of road salt) with no structural damage.

That transmission came out of a car that was literally consumed with rust...the frame was rusted through in spots...the color you see on the bell housing is the same color you'd find over the rest of it.

If your friend's bike pitted...something else most likely caused it...probably a cleaner (though its possible manufacturing processes were not quite up to par with today's alloys and preventative measures, such as preventing dissimilar metals from contacting each other directly).

But anyway, like I said, any corrosion on your bike will be easier to 1) prevent with cleaning than your cage and 2) not as likely to happen as your cage. These things are much, MUCH more robust than people give them credit for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Salt Management!

;-)
Well it snowed a little this week and they again salted our roads. I am not worried about the pebbles and handling, but when this stuff is dry is there any risk to the bike itself? The weather will heat up a little next week and the roads should stay dry, and would like to get some riding in, but don't want the finish of the bike and rims getting messed up.
Salt "management" is a common sense issue for the most part.
So as you ask here, if you can rinse/wash the bike within a few days
or week of road salt then next to nothing is affected, relatively speaking.
Purists park their bikes. I ride mine year-round. That's what I bought
it for: not for pozing! Lol!

·
Registered
16 Posts
;-)

Salt "management" is a common sense issue for the most part.
So as you ask here, if you can rinse/wash the bike within a few days
or week of road salt then next to nothing is affected, relatively speaking.
Purists park their bikes. I ride mine year-round. That's what I bought
it for: not for pozing! Lol!
X2 on what he said. The best thing for your bike is to ride! And the best way to keep it looking brand new is to wash it!
Soap + Water + Elbow Grease = Beautiful Bike Forever:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Meanie's own the road!

X2 on what he said. The best thing for your bike is to ride! And the best way to keep it looking brand new is to wash it!
Soap + Water + Elbow Grease = Beautiful Bike Forever:)
Hey, good to hear from your neck of the woods! Or should I write,
your section of the Asphalt?! So, how's your Meanie doing? Love mine,
big time: Consider it the Corvette of Cruisers...lol!

PS: Being new here, is there a "Meanie" Section on this blog site???
Thanks!:wink:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.