Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Knock on wood, snow melting season is over here in Philadelphia, PA. We have had some rain, and higher temps to melt/remove the salt. It was 50 degrees this past Sat and Sunday, and like many others in the area, I got my rides in.

The majority of the salt is off the road at this point, I assume that I still picked up some residue, and small amounts of salt debris has been strategically placed throughout the underside of my frame.

What are you all doing, washing the bike after each ride, or do you feel no harm is done, meaning no potential rust to worry about. Like many of you, I can go over the top with maintaining my bike. I did wash it after Saturdays ride, but got home at dark last night and didn't give it a bath :).

Tony

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I'm washing my bike after each ride and reapplying ACF50 to vulnerable areas.

That road salt is a menace for riding on. It is 1" thick in places in the South of England. I have had two friends who had 'offs' in the last two weeks because of a combination of road salt and cold tyres.

Roll on Spring, I say.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm washing my bike after each ride and reapplying ACF50 to vulnerable areas.

That road salt is a menace for riding on. It is 1" thick in places in the South of England. I have had two friends who had 'offs' in the last two weeks because of a combination of road salt and cold tyres.

Roll on Spring, I say.
I just saw a show, England is out of salt. Some underground salt mine is where the only supply is at this point. From what you just describe, the show was probably a couple years old :)

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
I rinse mine between rides with Salt-Away and a sprayer on the hose. I primarily use it to flush my outboard engine and hose down the boat but it works on everything and doesn't mess up the finish.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
a wash with a high powered hose putting out cold water is the best thing to use.

before you go out riding you should use a corrosive inhibitor like ACF50 etc.

don't use warm water as it dissolves the salt and helps it get into wherever the water goes.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I don't ride till all the snow is gone tha gravel is swept up and we have had a good gully washer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We've finally made it into the high 60's with spring trees starting to bloom out... its been great riding in the sun down here again. No salt to really worry about... now its the rainy season so to speak... rainin right now which limits any possibility of getting out today... but there is Tuesday!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
No salt to really worry about... now its the rainy season so to speak... rainin right now which limits any possibility of getting out today... but there is Tuesday!
I was out all day on Saturday with a group of friends. No road salt, but it was so wet that my waterproofs became waterlogged and their lining dissolved. Yes, really. My waterproof gloves still aren't completely dry. Anyway, a bad day on the bike is better than a good day off it. Roll on Summer. :D

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Shoulda gone out on Sunday instead Patrick.
It was a glorious day :biggrin: :cool:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Shoulda gone out on Sunday instead Patrick.
It was a glorious day :biggrin: :cool:
I know, but I had other stuff to do yesterday. I heard the roar of bikes all day... ho,hum. I had a good day on Saturday, despite the plssistent rain. :-D

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Ok, Knock on wood, snow melting season is over here in Philadelphia, PA. We have had some rain, and higher temps to melt/remove the salt. It was 50 degrees this past Sat and Sunday, and like many others in the area, I got my rides in.

The majority of the salt is off the road at this point, I assume that I still picked up some residue, and small amounts of salt debris has been strategically placed throughout the underside of my frame.

What are you all doing, washing the bike after each ride, or do you feel no harm is done, meaning no potential rust to worry about. Like many of you, I can go over the top with maintaining my bike. I did wash it after Saturdays ride, but got home at dark last night and didn't give it a bath :).

Tony
I realize how weird guys get about taking care of their bikes and having them look "pretty" as often as possible. We are so fem when it comes to our 2 wheeled babies. But having said that I certainly would not argue about the virtues of taking care of your possessions. Road salt is nasty stuff but it is everywhere unfortunately. Here it is even mixed with red volcanic cinder dust so it puts a nice rusty colored stain on things as well. But if a person rinses their bike after every ride would they also do the same for their other vehicles? Perhaps some would but I believe most would not. Why? Is it for safety reasons?...because safety is safety in my opinion so I see no reason to maintain one type of vehicle in that regard differently than another. Keep it looking pretty?...no argument unless you drive a clunker and I see plenty of posts on here about what nice vehicles folks on this forum have. As for me...I rarely wash my car or my bike...but that's just me...lol. Of course I guess you could just wait and ride the bike in the rain to rinse off the salt. But if you think you will come home with a clean bike after a ride in the rain you are dreaming. I guess it is a different dirty then...:-D

·
Registered
661 Posts
I was out all day on Saturday with a group of friends. No road salt, but it was so wet that my waterproofs became waterlogged and their lining dissolved. Yes, really. My waterproof gloves still aren't completely dry. Anyway, a bad day on the bike is better than a good day off it. Roll on Summer. :D
Teach you to buy cheap gear Patrick :) . Has you may recall I decided to follow the guidelines on the ACf50 web site. So my bike had a good clean in October and was then well covered in ACF50. I have been riding all season and the bike is filthy. Thursday is when I have earmarked for bike cleaning and if ACF50 are to be believed the dirt should fall off and the bike be pristine underneath, watch this space.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
:) not sure of it's availability in the US, but i imagine you should be able to get hold of it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
:) not sure of it's availability in the US, but i imagine you should be able to get hold of it.
Its made in the US, it was invented for use on US aircraft carriers to protect the aircraft from salt damage ( I think American pilots have a habit of landing in water :-D ). Its only in the last few years its been made available to the general public.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
ah, ok.

i'd never heard any americans talking of it, so assumed it was an English thing.

same way we don't get Seafoam over here.

how ya doin anyway Rob. Not seen ya on here for a while...

·
Registered
661 Posts
ah, ok.

i'd never heard any americans talking of it, so assumed it was an English thing.

same way we don't get Seafoam over here.

how ya doin anyway Rob. Not seen ya on here for a while...
Few ups and downs but ok thanks. Hopefully with the better weather coming we can get some ride outs in

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
:) will be nice to head down and get a nice cruise around in the sun :)

nothin better to make your worries go away (for a few hours at least) :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts