Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think the best bets would be the windshield, crashbars with highway pegs. The 900 seat is fine for me but for those long days at speed your arms may get a little tired hangin on. I'm 6'4", 270, so the highway pegs would help stretch the legs which may get tired from huging the bike all day too. Bring a hydration pack, you're going through hot country and you dont want to get dehydrated.

I live in Sacramento and if I was going to Salt Lake, I'd take I-80. Those desert highways can be awful isolated. If you're planning a group ride to Moab, let me know :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks guys.

ok, so far I have these items priced:
  • cruise control
  • mustang touring seat w/ backrest
  • sissy bar and luggage rack, so I can carry my things
  • saddle bags
  • 22" windshield
  • nolan helmet
  • crash bars

I don't have the tires priced because I'm not sure which ones to get. Any suggestions?

Where do I find a set of riser brackets for the bike? I see just the handle bars most places I've been looking. i can just get the brackets right?

Thanks again for the response!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I took my 900 custom on a 3 day 800 mile trip, most of the miles the first and third day. Stock seat, no risers. But, I did add a mini-standard windshield, kury switchblade pegs and ISO grips. Plus, I carried my stuff in a backpack. I did ok, stopped ever hundred or so miles to rest my butt, but not for longer than a bathroom break. Oh yeah, and I wear a half helmet. Plus, don't forget the custom has a skinny front wheel...

You get used to the vibrations pretty quick. Once I dropped back down into the 60 MPH range, it actually felt kind of funny being at lower RPMs, heh. at 75-ish I stil had plenty of roll on power for a quick pass around a cager (or for fun around my friend on his Victory).

Don't be afraid to hurt it, just ride it!

·
Ready2Ride
1,456 Posts
I just finished a 2000 mile, 10 day trip on my 900. I rode all types of roads from 2 lane back roads at 45-50 mph and 4-6 lane interstates at 70-75 mph, and conditions from beautiful sunny days to rain soaked roads. The 900 'cruiser' handled all situations with ease.

Your list of items looks good, but don't forget the highway bar pegs. You'll want to adjust your position on longer rides. You may also want to consider lowers. Make it your own and enjoy the ride!

·
Old Dude
418 Posts
Thanks guys.

ok, so far I have these items priced:
  • cruise control
  • mustang touring seat w/ backrest
  • sissy bar and luggage rack, so I can carry my things
  • saddle bags
  • 22" windshield
  • nolan helmet
  • crash bars

I don't have the tires priced because I'm not sure which ones to get. Any suggestions?

Where do I find a set of riser brackets for the bike? I see just the handle bars most places I've been looking. i can just get the brackets right?

Thanks again for the response!
Good stuff, Josh. I assume you're pretty tall if you want a 22" shield. If you are, then you might not need risers. I have Phat II risers from Scootworks and they work very well for me but I'm 5'7" and need the pullback. As jdpenn said, lowers are very good at preventing head buffeting. He's also right about the highway pegs.
Now don't all hate me but I really think aftermarket pipes are not a good thing on a long trip. Unless you always wear earplugs the noise will get to you after a while. Earplugs are a good idea anyways because of wind noise.
I happen to like the stock Dunlop tires and don't seem to have problems with grooves at all. I run 36 front and 36 rear on the air pressure. The tires still have quite a few miles left on them and I have about 10.5K miles on the bike. I wouldn't worry about the motor being stressed. You get used to the sound pretty quickly and it's not hurting it a bit.
Take your time, enjoy the scenery and the ride!

BH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good stuff, Josh. I assume you're pretty tall if you want a 22" shield
Thanks guys. No, I'm not tall. I'm only 5'6", but again, no experience. My thought was wind, I want to be as comfortable as possible, so I just priced the tallest one. If I don't need one that tall, then I would prefer a short one. What size would you suggest at my height?

Well, I'm getting there, I'm getting pretty exited too! Your replies have really given me some confidence and got me motivated to move forward with the trip. I need to look over a couple more things and if all is well, then I'll be ordering all of the parts tomorrow.

Thanks!
Josh

·
Old Dude
418 Posts
Yeah, the 22" shield might not be the best for you. It really cuts down your vision greatly if it's raining and you have to look through the shield. If it's dark out and raining you might as well just pull over because you're gonna be riding blind. Ideally, it should come up to just about nose level so you can look over it. I have a Memphis Fats 17" shield (with the 9" cutout) and lowers and get no buffeting at all. The shield will cut down your gas mileage by a few mpg but it's a small price to pay to not get beat up by the wind.
Scootworks has the Phat II risers. I reckon there are some others that will fit our bikes but I've had them before and am totally satisfied with 'em.

BH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ford-I have an 06 VN900 Classic as well. Personally I don't like what I feel is a wound tight engine at 75-80 MPH either. But I do have to say that I have taken some cross country rides on it.. Most Notably about 200 miles from my home to Laconia NH in June 06.. We rode hard and fast and the bike ran great, and I am going again in about 3 weeks.. I think the bike will do fine... I am running 10-40 Synthetic in her.. Shifts great and runs great too... Good Luck..

·
What can I spend my $$ on
619 Posts
I'm 5'8" and have a 17" MS Fats with phat II risers and Mustang seat and it is about perfect for me, actually the shield was perfect before the Mustang seat which seem to raise me about an inch so the shield now is just under my nose but I don't notice any less protection.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ford347, I'm gonna have to ditto what others' have said, and reiterate what jdpenn says. Get the highway pegs. On a trip of any length, you will want another place or two to rest your feet, change your leg position. You can set them up so your foot is 1) heel from floorboard, toe to highway peg 2) full foot on the highway peg 3) full foot on your floorboard And other variations when you get bored or crazy or both!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hey guys,

so heres a bit of an update. I've ordered quite a few accessories and I received some of them today.

I got some River Road Large slant saddle bags..(I'll get to that in a minute)

Some Longhorn offset dually freeway pegs

crash bars

sissy bar and luggage rack

Also have some phat II risers on their way.

I installed the sissy bar, luggage rack and crash bars succesfully and am happy with those items. But the saddlebags and freeway pegs are a diff. story.

I installed the freeway pegs on the crash bars in every which way I could think of, but the way they are made, my legs are to short to reach them on the crash bar. Am I missing something with the installation? I'm guessing I need some diff. ones? If so, which ones should I get?

The saddle bags are ok, but I feel really dumn as I don't know how to install them. I draped them over the fender (under the seat) and over the saddlebag supports that I installed, (just cobra supports) but I'm not sure where or what to strap them too? The bags have places for straps, but like I said, not sure what to do with them? Also, the right bag is really close to the pipes. If I put anything in them, they would definitly touch them. I'm assuming this isn't a good thing? Should I be looking at some diff. bags? I'm ok with the looks, I think they'll work for now, but I just want them to be a proper fit for the bike.

Thanks!!

Josh

·
Registered
272 Posts
It wasn't so terribly long ago that a 900 cc motorcycle was considered a BIG bike, and its highway capabilities would have been unquestioned.

Setting it up with goodies so it fits you better and is more comfortable is just icing on the cake.

Let me tell ya Sonny...back in the day, we rode RD350s for hundreds of miles and were **** glad to have 'em........;) :lol:

·
Registered
201 Posts
custom or classic 900?

Hello everyone, newbie here. Names JBrian. June 1 I will be buying my first
cruiser bike a 900 custom or classic. Got my heart set on the custom cuz
I grew up riding dirt bikes and I love the drag bars on that bike. Like many in this forum getting back to riding in my 40's, I'm 6 foot 220 pounds I know I could handle the 1500 but my wallet will not allow it. I Hope the 900 will satisfy because I just want to ride. Will mostly ride around town and back and forth to work, with 180 mile trips to the coast and mountains from the central valley in ca. Heard almost everything in this forum about the 900 to be very positive. Love the front end on that custom also. I really don't see any of them in this area, is there a reason for this or just being parinoid,
maybe that's it cuz I'm so excited can't hardley sleep last 4 or 5 nights!
Love to her alot of feedback. Love reading all your posts.

Jeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
;) A cheaper seat option is the Kawi Gel seat. Just got mine on, and with my 102 mile commute each day am loving it. At 240 the Gel is hard to ignore! A backrest is my next move, but I will build it myself.

For a long trip, you definatly want to be gearing up, if you are talking 75-80 actual mph, its going to be 85-90 indicated. Get the front sprocket from Scootworks. It has been recommended to go with a 200 rear tire, which would yeild a 4.42% increase in gearing. So the 2 combined would give you a 10.4% change, so indicated 80 actual 78ish. This will help with your vibration, mpg etc.

Try swinging your legs back to the passanger pegs, that will switch your position around, and change the pressure points. ;)

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I have to believe that the 900 DOES have a rev limiter...

I wouldn't worry about too much RPM on these bikes. My 800 rev limits at 7000 RPM i think it is... and now i know where those points are I can shift right up to them. riding a high rpm aint gunna hurt these things, i do it every day

kenny

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
It wasn't so terribly long ago that a 900 cc motorcycle was considered a BIG bike, and its highway capabilities would have been unquestioned.

Setting it up with goodies so it fits you better and is more comfortable is just icing on the cake.

Let me tell ya Sonny...back in the day, we rode RD350s for hundreds of miles and were **** glad to have 'em........;) :lol:
I had to laugh with that one. My first road trip ('73) was on a Kaw 350, 2-stroke, Phoenix to Portland. Loved every mile of it.

·
'01 1500 Classic FI
1,163 Posts
I live in Sacramento and if I was going to Salt Lake, I'd take I-80. Those desert highways can be awful isolated. If you're planning a group ride to Moab, let me know :)
I absolutely *hate* I-80 btw Fernley and Salt Lake City. OTOH, US-50 btw Fallon and Salt Lake City would be a much more enjoyable ride with stops at places like Austin, Eureka, and Ely. Yes, US-50 is much more desolute than I-80, but you can ride at your own pace. Highly recommended.

The Loneliest Road Trip - Highway 50 Across Nevada - Central Nevada, USA, LA Rosser, Mountain States, Mountain States Travel Stories, Nevada, Nevada Travel Stories | BootsnAll Articles

21 - 40 of 56 Posts