Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a trip down to Lee Performance to get a custom map. Seven hour drive at 350 miles each way. I drove 14 hours in the span of 20 hours.

On my first tank, I filled it up at 150 miles. On the second tank I made it to 150, but the gas light hadn't come on, so I decided to push it and see how many miles I could get. Well at 175 the bike hicuped- so I pulled off and filled it up. Over 5.1 gallons in my 5.3 gallon tank. That's how I found out my gas light isn't working. Guess I'll get the dealer to fix it under warrenty.

The seat was great for the first four hours then butt burn for the remander of the trip =(

Got my map set up- took the bike for a spin. After a couple final adjustments I had the perfect map for my bike. The bike behaves now. The map I had used from dynojet was too rich so sea foam and new plugs are in order to clean things back up. Ok drum roll......

65.12 rwhp @ 4500
86.76 ft/lbs @ 3250

Based on the stock run for another 1600, that'd be a gain of 12 ft/lbs and 10 hp over stock. The guy who's dyno I'm using ended up with 63.8 hp and 86 ft/lbs.

I asked Lee about going to stage 2. He says that due to the design of the throttle bodies on the Vulcan- the amount of air the engine can take in is less that what would be needed to see big gains in head work, cams, etc. Lee said that the stage 2 would give me maybe 5 hp and cost about $3k. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Phatboy

·
Registered
91 Posts
HI Phatboy

Great Info!
I just ordered the PCIII/USB for my 04 Nomad FI. Hope to have by 10/1.
(see Cobra Pipes-04 Nomad FI)
Just a few questions:
How long did the Dyno Tune take?
How much did they charge?
What type of gas mileage are you now getting?

I'm sure its nice having those extra ponies. Good Riding!!!

Look forward to your reply
DfgPilot

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dyno took about three hours. It cost me $300 for the map. Champion Motor Sports in Herdnon, Va wanted $350 for a map. My dealer offered to make me a map, but they don't have a dyno so I looked elsewhere. I was getting 30-35 mpg with the dynojet map. I should be getting better than that now, but I'll have to let you know. I quit calculating milage on the way home =(

The main thing is that my bike is not going to be running too rich or too lean. Too rich and you have carbon deposits, too lean burns up your valves. Compared to the old map I used I gained 3 hp and 4 ft/lbs with more power through out the entire range.

Phatboy

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
You could put nitrous on for cheaper than $3,000 and get about 15 to 20 hp. or a 20 to 25% gain. that would be fun to ride when you hit the button!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts