Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the intrusion of a Yamaha, but I have pictures to share :D

I mentioned earlier that I am turning my Roadliner into a Nomad. When I traded my meanie in earllier this year for a bike that was more 2-up friendly, my decision came down to the Nomad, V2K, and Roadliner. The main reason I did not choose the Nomad was that I did't like the look of "permanent" hard bags. Turns out that the wife and I decided that they are a practicality that we can't live without. If I knew now what I know then, I would likely have ended up with a Nomad. The end result is that I still like my Roadliner better (looks are about even, lots more power), but I could have been happy with the Nomad with less effort and dollars. Anyway, live and learn. Here she is. I call her Redliner (yes, that is a pun). My kids tell me she now has a big butt :lol: but I like the way that the bags follow the lines of the bike in the rear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
That's one SHWEEEEEET ride!!! PS: "Big Butts" = Junque in the trunk(s)!!! :lol:

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Every persons version of "beauty" is different. To me the most beautiful without bags is the VN900. With bags the Nomad and the KZ 1000 Police.

Just be glad that every time you go to crank her up, she dosn't say "Do these hard bags make my hips look big?" ;)

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
That actually looks quite nice to me.

I don't particularly care for the horizontal accents on the roadliner, but when combined with accents on the bags, it looks much better. And of course, that color is smokin. :D

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That actually looks quite nice to me.

I don't particularly care for the horizontal accents on the roadliner, but when combined with accents on the bags, it looks much better. And of course, that color is smokin. :D
Don't get me wrong... I LOVE the looks of my bike. If you offered me a Nomad in exchange, I wouldn't take it. I definiely like the way the bike has turned out.

It's just ironic that I skipped on the Nomad mainly because I didn't want hard bags for everyday riding, and now I have hard bags for everyday riding. If I knew that I would want hard bags for certain, I don't think I would have walked away from the Nomad. It was a very close call at the time. About $3000 worth of stuff I have added over the last 4 months (windshield, paint matched bags, passenger floorboards, crash bars, etc) are already there on the Nomad...and I could have used all that stuff over the summer.

Once again, now that I am "finished" (yes, my wife laughed at that one too), I like the results.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I'm with Tod, the horizontal stripes on the tank turned me off of the roadliner. But when you add those bags it looks a lot better. That is a sweet ride!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think the bike looks great and the Nomad could use a few more ponies. Kaw really needs a V2K bagger.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Your Redliner looks great! Those accents on the bags just completes the picture and really flow with the rest of the bike. Kudos on a sweet looking ride.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
...It's just ironic that I skipped on the Nomad mainly because I didn't want hard bags for everyday riding, and now I have hard bags for everyday riding. If I knew that I would want hard bags for certain, I don't think I would have walked away from the Nomad. It was a very close call at the time. About $3000 worth of stuff I have added over the last 4 months (windshield, paint matched bags, passenger floorboards, crash bars, etc) are already there on the Nomad....
I really think hardbags (like my Nomad has) are the most misunderstood accessory in the cruiser world today. Most think they take away from the look of the bike -but I think on big ole cruisers they add to the effect.

But where they really shine is when you start actually using the darn bike for daily transportation. Folks just don't grasp the practicality of huge lockable hardbags until they start letting the bike earn its keep on the daily commute. Until then they think, "Oh those hardbags would be nice on long trips, but I wouldn't want em on my bike permenantly."

But make your first Nomad grocery run and you will see the light !!!! As you load em up with a gallon of milk, a couple of 2 liter Colas, a big bag of Chips, a head of lettuce, a bag of oranges, and don't forget that huge can of Nacho Cheeeeeeese :lol: :lol: :lol:

And don't even ask about the bag's weight limit on my monthly trip to the gunrange :mrgreen:

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
I think the bags look great on your Roadliner. I agree with you that once you have lockable hard bags on the bike you don't want to go without them.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Are those bags by Yamaha or are they Corbin? Regardless, they do look great and the lockable storage space is a real plus!

Hard to beat the color too, not that I have a preference :mrgreen:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bags are Corbins. They did a really nice job on making the design fit the bike... and they charge accordingly.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But where they really shine is when you start actually using the darn bike for daily transportation. Folks just don't grasp the practicality of huge lockable hardbags until they start letting the bike earn its keep on the daily commute. Until then they think, "Oh those hardbags would be nice on long trips, but I wouldn't want em on my bike permenantly.
Yep, I thought a sissy bar mounted bag would be fine for local stuff... but what if I want to go to the gym after work? What if I want to take a few extra things in for a a class demonstration? What about .... it goes on. I found that I was filling up the bag and had to bungie my computer case on the back seat almost every day. I found that more and more I was taking my car on really nice days when I wanted to ride because I needed to carry stuff and didn't want to spend 10 minutes trying to bungee a bunch of stuff where it wouldn't fall off.

I started out thinking removable leather bags, but security and space were issues, especially with the wife. These babys can hold about 45 liters each.

Now, the car can stay parked as long as it stays above 35 degrees (yes, I know I am a wimp; what can I say?)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, and I forgot to mention, the bags soften the look of the one thing I disliked most about the roadliner... that huge exaust pipe. It doesn't look so bad with the bags on top of it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the bike looks great and the Nomad could use a few more ponies. Kaw really needs a V2K bagger.
OK, if I were in charge of marketing at Kawasaki... I would start up a partnership with Corbin, just like Victory has a relationship with Arlen Ness. I would have the "Corbin Touring V2K" (See Lobocops V2K), but I would also add electronic cruise , stereo, pipes, intercom, custom paint, etc. Make it a complete touring package. You can do it mostly with off the shelf stuff, but Kawi puts it together for you, and at a price less than buying it all aftermarket.

I would bet that Kawi can put that all together for well under $20K, and it would look better and kick the crap out of a $35K Harley CVO bike... and really turn some heads regarding what you think of when you think of a Kawasaki.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
The bags are Corbins. They did a really nice job on making the design fit the bike... and they charge accordingly.
I thought they might be with that french'd look following the fender.

Granted, the Corbin's are expensive and those who voice complaints about the price of them obviously haven't priced a set of new Nomad bags/brackets painted to match their ride from Kawasaki.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Don't get me wrong... I LOVE the looks of my bike. If you offered me a Nomad in exchange, I wouldn't take it. I definiely like the way the bike has turned out.

It's just ironic that I skipped on the Nomad mainly because I didn't want hard bags for everyday riding, and now I have hard bags for everyday riding. If I knew that I would want hard bags for certain, I don't think I would have walked away from the Nomad. It was a very close call at the time. About $3000 worth of stuff I have added over the last 4 months (windshield, paint matched bags, passenger floorboards, crash bars, etc) are already there on the Nomad...and I could have used all that stuff over the summer.

Once again, now that I am "finished" (yes, my wife laughed at that one too), I like the results.
For the cost of the add ons, you could have gotten a Stratoliner. Same engine, with all the add ons included. But what do I know, I just work at a Yammy shop?! :biggrin:

Edit: Didn't see you looked at the Strat already!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For the cost of the add ons, you could have gotten a Stratoliner. Same engine, with all the add ons included. But what do I know, I just work at a Yammy shop?! :biggrin:

Edit: Didn't see you looked at the Strat already!
Yes, the stratoliner bags look very nice, but look inside.. about half the space of the Corbin bags... no way I could fit my computer bag in there. Heck, it would be a tight fit to shove in my leather armored jacket The windsheild is too tall for me, so I would have to replace that too. So, the only thing I would have kept would have been the backrest.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Yes, the stratoliner bags look very nice, but look inside.. about half the space of the Corbin bags... no way I could fit my computer bag in there. Heck, it would be a tight fit to shove in my leather armored jacket The windsheild is too tall for me, so I would have to replace that too. So, the only thing I would have kept would have been the backrest.
At least you got what you wanted and you're happy. That's what counts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts