Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 3010, with 900+ hrs,and I love it. However it will not idle, just idles slower, and slower until it dies. You have to pump the throttle to idle her back up. No issues under way however...runs fine. I turned the idle up some, but it didn't last.
Also, the tailgate rattles like crazy!! Seems to be bowed in the middle...makes me want to stick some kind of wedge in there to stop it, but I'm hoping there is a better fix.,
Thanks in advance guys for some help.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
An idle that gets "lost" and eventually allows the engine to die is usually a fuel system related problem or a bad spark plug.

I would suspect the pilot circuit in the carburetor is partially plugged.

Tailgate rattling is the nature of the beast. I installed rubber bumpers in the sidewalls and stronger springs on the latch shafts, and that worked for about 125 hours, and now the rattles are back. Now I just slam it on a chunk of poly rope and let that take up the slack. A couple of the guys I ride with use a nylon motorcycle snugger to hold the sides tight to the tailgate and that seems to work as well as jamming in a chunk of rope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An idle that gets "lost" and eventually allows the engine to die is usually a fuel system related problem or a bad spark plug.

I would suspect the pilot circuit in the carburetor is partially plugged.
Is a pilot circuit in the carb something I could correct myself...would a can of carb cleaner or Sea Foam help to unclog it?
You really end up "chunking" it in to gear since it won't keep an idle, and I suspect too much of that will lead to more problems.
I'll replace the spark plug(s) as well.
Thanks RCW

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Seafoam may correct a gum contamination problem, but it can be hit and miss.

You can clean, inspect, and adjust the carburetor yourself if you have the service and repair manual and a good set of basic tools.

One other thing to check is the valve adjustment. The 620 engine is critical on valve adjustment, and a lot of owners forget to keep them adjusted.

You definitely do not want it clunking into gear such that the dogs on the engagement sleeves are getting knocked like gear raking. That will kill the transmission pretty quickly. They will snap a bit, but you do not want raking or a torque snap where the machine moves when the transmission is put in gear or from forward to reverse, or in four wheel drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I cleaned up the plugs with a wire brush, and she idled like a dream...for a few minutes, then it was back to the same old lost idle:mad:
However I found a ratchet strap across the bed, pulling the sides in eliminates the tailgate rattle;)

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The high energy ignition systems we have will ground out if you wire brush the spark plugs. The spark is so hot that it will find microscopic metal particles scrubbed into the insulator and start tracing outside of the spark gap.

They usually run for a while, and then conk out after brushing the plugs.

If you install new plugs watch them for evidence of a rich idle condition. With these carburetors it is usually too high a float level that causes problems with a rich idle. But, it can also be excessively rich pilot jets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts