Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! A couple of friends and I are riding our Vulcans from Salt Lake City, UT to San Diego, CA and back this weekend. I was wondering if anyone knows of a better/more exciting route to take than the long straight boringness that is I-15? Or even just some really cool detours. We don't really mind much if it's a longer route (within reason).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! We're open to just about anything. Just want to make the ride as memorable as possible. :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks socalmarcus. That's the kind of detour I'm talking about. We'll take Ortega Highway for sure.

I've never split traffic. I've seen it done and thought to myself, "They must have a death wish!". I'm confident I could do it without hitting any cars myself, but what do you do about cars changing lanes into you? I'm positive I won't be able to resist it when I get there. Any tips?

·
Registered
699 Posts
You'll like Ortega. The OC side has been improved so it's much safer than it was before. If you want to stop before heading south again, go over the 5, 1/4 mile to Camino Capistrano. The old mission will be on the right corner. The wife and I like Sarducci's next to the Metrolink station, about a block away.

The 5 freeway south of SJC has a few miles of carpool lane, which I always use. I only split while in the left-most freeway lane - and only on the right. You're not legally allowed on or over the double yellows that separate the CP lane.

Check your rear for bikes from behind, then move to the far right of the lane and slowly approach. I don't do it around curves. Many will move to the left a bit, let's you know they know you're there and what you're about to do. I always cover the levers with my middle 2 fingers and pass at around +10mph. Do it one bike at a time. I always give a little wave in appreciation.

I very rarely split in the areas where traffic is allowed in/out (broken white line) of the CP lane. It's nice and wide there, but that's where the cars move in/out. One time I exited the CP, passed a few cars and was just about to move left, back into the CP, when a liter bike came flying past on the broken white +30mph just inches off my left. Pucker time. I learned then to beware of fellow bikers.

Google "motorcycle lane splitting tips" for some articles. And remember - you're on vacation.

·
Registered
406 Posts
well guys, if you leave very early in the morning, i would do the following:

Leav Salt LAke via 89, south of Utah Lake, the 89 goes right and the 15 left, stay on 89 south all the way to Mount Carmel Junction, then take the 9 to go through Zion National Park, it's a must! afterZion, hop on the 15 towards Las Vegas, in Glendale, take the 169 South, it turns in to 147 and 564, from there you are now in Henderson, you can skip going through Vegas, or head downtown, after that, whatever you choose, take 15 south again all the way to Barstow, take the Barstow Road exit and go south, that's hwy 247, stay on 247 to Lucerne Valley, then take the 18 south, that puts you on the NE side of Big Bear Lake, the 18 will take you through Big Bear lake, you can stop there for a break, nice place, then continue on 18 south, at running springs, you can stay on the 18 and head towards Lake Arrowhead, or just continue on 330 south, either one will take you down the mountain on to San Bernardino, take the 210 west to the 215 south all the way to Perris, in Perris take the 74(ortega hwy) and cross over to San Juan Capistrano, you are now on the interestate 5 freeway, head south and you will be in San Diego very shortly.

that is a really nice route! although it will require a looong day to do it, it is doable!! good luck!
Jesus.

·
Registered
406 Posts
if you guys want the route, i saved it, email me your address and i will email it back to you, just give me an email address, the estimated travel time is about 17 hours, so one full day plus a few hours is needed, due to the fact that it gets dark early, hope this helps, i was in Utah this last weekend, went to Zion and bryce, very beautiful!!

jesus Granados

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.