Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to move up from my 900. I test drove Royal Star Tour Deluxe and a Vulcan 1600. Both nice machines. Similar styles but different engines (V4 vs V twin) Any comments on these bikes, particularly related to maneuvering on curves, twisties and sllow speed would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
:wink: Gotta tell ya I test rode a Tour Deluxe this summer and was very disappointed in the engine.....Seemed slow to respond and the handeling in city traffic made the bike feel heavy...Although it did have a comfortable seat and a good ride but the 1600 Vulcan wins this one hands down!!!
I want to move up from my 900. I test drove Royal Star Tour Deluxe and a Vulcan 1600. Both nice machines. Similar styles but different engines (V4 vs V twin) Any comments on these bikes, particularly related to maneuvering on curves, twisties and sllow speed would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Not too long ago a motorcycle magazine did a "shootout" between the Tour Deluxe, 1600 Nomad and Road King. The Nomad was the clear winner with the Tour Deluxe as a strong second and the Road King in third place.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The tour deluxe comes with cruise control, a removable windshield (I really like this on my Roadliner), and lowers that make riding on the highway much more comfortable (Nomad has none of these). THe 4 cylinder engine is going to run smoother at highway speeds as well, although nobody would say that the Nomad rides rough. Plus, some people WANT the rumble of a V twin.

THe Nomad engine is going to be more responsive overall... more fun to ride when not just cruising down the highway. IMO the Nomad handles better at low speeds. I like the Nomads bags better. IMO the Nomad looks better by a significant margin.

Depends on what you are looking for. I am considering the Venture as a second bike for touring (using my roadliner around town), but if I had to have one bike to use for everything I would lean towards the Nomad.

·
Registered
762 Posts
One addition to my last post...

KAWASAKI, WHY, WHY, WHY won't you offer a model of the Nomad fully dressed with cruise control (decked out like the Venture)? It would be SO sweet.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The ideal bike is the one that makes YOUR heart beat faster, be it a H-D, Beemer, Wing, or whatever floats your boat--it's your wallet! That being said, I wanted a Yamaha over any other bike out there, either model, mostly the Tour Dlx, why? One heck of a lot of extra parts you can buy for one to make it yours! Plus I like a V-4 much better than a V-twin.Went to the Yamaha dealer and in 06 all I could get was White (police looking bike) or black, strike one. Found out they still had to do a lot more maint, valve adjust, carbed engine, ect., still old school, but a well proven design anyway, with tons of performance parts to make it really perform, strike two. The really BIG issue was the bike simply doesn't fit ME, not enough leg room for my 38" inseams to sit on for any length of time. I felt like I was sitting on the gas tank with the handlebars at my sides! I bought my 06 silver/green Nomad, because I always liked a two-tone bike, and could actually sit on it in comfort, for me and my spouse. I also think the Kaw's bags may be built a little better, and with my custom lowers which I made myself, air buffeting is not a problem. The only advice anyone can truthfully give you is get what fits you and your passenger, if you have one, and look at what type of upkeep is required on what ever you decide. Keep in mind this is my opinion, and I'm not you, but either machine is a great ride, a don't let all the magazine reviews tell you otherwise, the all have PAID ADDS in them and they won't cut their own throat!!!! Good luck on your choice! BB

·
Registered
46 Posts
A couple years ago, I owned a 2005 (I think) Tour Deluxe for a year. I just never got over the how heavy it was. I liked it at 70 and up, loved the cruise, and quick-release WS and passenger backrest. Other that these things, I pretty much hated the bike. Moving it around in the garage, it felt like it was anchored to the floor. The engine lugged at 55-60 in fifth, but seemed to be working kind of hard in fourth at same speeds.
This is going to be hard to explain because I never really figured it out, but the bike must have have some kind of static electricity phenomenon in the back half. You could have the bike absolutely spotless and dustless and half an hour into a ride, the area on and around the hard bags would be filthy dusty (it was the black and red color scheme). I have had several other similar colored bikes, especially all black. I have never seen a bike that attracted dust like the Tour Deluxe. I have two friends with Nomads. Having ridden both, I know I would be much happier with a Nomad.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody for your comments. The nice thing about this forum is that it is a great place to get various opinions, experiences and viewpoints. I also felt that the Deluxe felt a bit top heavy in slower traffic. Right now I'm leaning towards the Nomad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a few thoughts. I currently own a 2003 Nomad 1500 FI with power commander, hypercharger and V&H exhuasts and a 2008 tour deluxe. I love the Nomad sound and the vtwin feeling but the tourer deluxe feels lighter handles better and will out run the nomad at all speeds. Granted the TD has 5,000 miles and the Nomad 22,000. Both are fun to ride. The Nomad feels bigger and heavier and more top heavy. The TD has a lower center of gravity, feels lighter even though it is about 75lbs heavier. The TD has considerably less vibration at 75mph. The Nomad has a fair amount of helmet buffeting at highway speeds but the TD has hardly any. What a difference the windshield design and placement and fairings makes on the TD.
I would like to keep them both but one has to go and it is the Nomad. The TD is a better all around bike for town and highway riding. Especially on the longer trips. I will miss the ego the Nomad gives me when riding it. But the TD is so smooth and rides so much nicer it wins out in the end.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I bought new the 1983 MK1 Yamaha Venture Royale, this was a GREAT bike at any speed! It had I think, the same engine as the V-Max!!
I had it about 2 years and found it a little big to ride solo, so I parted with it. Also I hated all the plastic!!!
I've own several bikes since then and now have the 2008 Nomad which I bought new. GREAT bike, it's been coast to coast,........ more my style and I ride it solo! Just the drivers seat.
To compare the two,.......I would say the Venture is more sporty than the Nomad and defiantly more plastic!!!!!!
I don't think my Nomad has any plastic?
Anyway, the Nomad has been coast to coast and I'm not any where near wanting to get rid of it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The Tour Deluxe engine is based on the V-Max engine as well. I have worked with those V4's since the late 1980's and have yet to see ONE fail. They're great engines. That said, I've not seen a 1600 completely quit yet either...but seen plenty that needed cam chains, clutches, rings and bearings. And the 1500's (which was what the 1600 was based on) was absolute garbage, IMO. Gutless for it's size, no torque, no power, just kind of a "dud", in my opinion.

I need to back up-I had one Royal Star back in the early 2000's that had a pin hole in the engine case, just behind the rear left cylinder. Yamaha paid to replace the case halves (bike was almost 2 yrs out of warranty/customer expected to have to buy it) as it was an isolated issue that they'd never seen before. Nearly $4000 later, the engine was as good as new. Many of those V4's have way over 100,000 miles on them. I like 'em myself. They don't sound ANYTHING like a V-twin; however they do have a V8 type rumble to them, different than a V8 of course, but I think they sound good. And smooooooth. It sounds like a rough running engine but it's not. They are "almost" silky smooth. Heavy they are but the weight is your friend on a long tour on the freeways at 70+. I always thought that the V4's were really responsive, they just don't have the low end torque that the 1600 has. The 1600 is DONE making any appreciable power by the time the Yamaha is just getting started, which was my gripe about the V4's from the beginning. Slow speeds, parking lots, etc, I'd rather ride the V4. It's heavy but you get used to it-at least I did. Curves and twisties are not either one of the bike's best qualities, but I feel more confident on the Yamaha. That 1600 just feels odd to me, especially in lower speed situations.

·
Registered
574 Posts
One addition to my last post...

KAWASAKI, WHY, WHY, WHY won't you offer a model of the Nomad fully dressed with cruise control (decked out like the Venture)? It would be SO sweet.
5 yr. old thread revisited. And I agree KAWASAKI, WHY, WHY, WHY won't you bring back the Meanstreak with a hopped up version of the 2000cc motor ?
That would be AWSOME & probably put me further in debt....LOL

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
To be fair don't you need to compare the Yam with the Top of the line Vulcan that comes with all the bells and whistles too?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts