Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a question.On my ZX750R ninja i took it out for ride today and i couldnt go over 30mph.
when i tried to give it gas the rpm would just run up like clutch was disengaged.
I noticed my clutch fluid was low so i came home put some Clutch fluid in and tried again, Still same thing.
So i think hey maybe air got in the lines.
i bleed the clutch and it stopped for while.
Then it came back again.Anyone have idea what problem might be caused by.
Perhapse one my hoses has a pin hole in it?
Causing air to seep in?

Let me know what you all think

Thanks Alot , Jason

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TRY the Mechanics Corner

Another view...I'm not familiar with Hydraulic clutches

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
CLUTCH

Hey Fellow Forum Friend... When it comes to bleeding brakes all by yourself you can usually get by with placing a small plastic line on the bleed-valve and run it into the bottom of a little jar that already has some brake fluid in it, but you have to keep filling the master cylinder so that you don't have to start over. I think you could do the same with a hydraulic clutch...with what ever fluid you are using...sorry that I can't offer more advice...but ther are some serious guys here that know how to do almost everything. Good luck...and please let me know how you do it and what you end up doing to solve the problem...so I'm not ignorant the next time I see the problem...I know that I cna't learn EVERYTHING, but this is something that I should know. Thanks. Lindsey J. Angell ZX-2R

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lindsey,
Yea i know how to bleed the clutch.
You are right about the way to do it.
What its basically doing is the clutch is slipping.
I bleed the clutch and got the air out of the line.
But it started doing it again.
Thats why im thinking maybe a small hole or somehow air keeps getting in the line.Thanks for your input.

Jason in maryland

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
PRESSURE

Jason, Is there any way to check the pressure for leakdown? Do you see ANY leaks? I've only read about the Hydraulic clutches in the sports bike magazines...seems that they can go bad after a while and that AIR is a major pain in the butt to get rid of. You have any buddies in your neck of the woods to call on the phone? Maybe on Monday rebuilding the clutch cylinder??? or having to take it in???? Lindsey

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Weather

We had drizzle yesterday, my buddy called from southern IL today they have it today so maybe you'll get it tomorrow...and not feel sso bad about havein a day not so great or riding anyway...
I'm really upset with my situation lately. Karen, my wife, is going to have her last kidney removed, supposed to be in Sept, then 6-8 weeks of dialysis, before her sister gives her a fresh one then some down time...this past week she picked up a kidney infection...fever won't go down and tomorrow we head back to Kansas University Hospital in KC, Kansas for more testing...Meanwhile my deposit for the found 2002 kawasaki Ninja250R setting in OZ Cycle Salvage is setting there, and I owe $1400.00 for everything that I have, the bike and all of the parts bins that I have filed up for needed (wanted) parts. It already has the Muzzy exhaust System pipes and muffler on it, and other than a few parts like the upper fairing it is intact...now...I'm out of funds paying for more gas and maintenance for the van, spending time (which I would anyway with her) but not gettting anywhere on the bike...and I REALLY need it for my own transportation! What a mess...sometimes! I saw a Ninja 600R today in town all repainted yellow for $1,600.00...not in awesome shape, but still it was a serious bike and the price was low. The owner was out riding it around standin g around in front of the lumber yard...And I can't afford it...I'll be okay...sometime...Just hope to have my bike on the road before next year...I don't even care if I have to test ride it in the snow at this point!. Take care, Jason.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Weather

We had drizzle yesterday, my buddy called from southern IL today they have it today so maybe you'll get it tomorrow...and not feel sso bad about havein a day not so great or riding anyway...
I'm really upset with my situation lately. Karen, my wife, is going to have her last kidney removed, supposed to be in Sept, then 6-8 weeks of dialysis, before her sister gives her a fresh one then some down time...this past week she picked up a kidney infection...fever won't go down and tomorrow we head back to Kansas University Hospital in KC, Kansas for more testing...Meanwhile my deposit for the found 2002 kawasaki Ninja250R setting in OZ Cycle Salvage is setting there, and I owe $1400.00 for everything that I have, the bike and all of the parts bins that I have filed up for needed (wanted) parts. It already has the Muzzy exhaust System pipes and muffler on it, and other than a few parts like the upper fairing it is intact...now...I'm out of funds paying for more gas and maintenance for the van, spending time (which I would anyway with her) but not gettting anywhere on the bike...and I REALLY need it for my own transportation! What a mess...sometimes! I saw a Ninja 600R today in town all repainted yellow for $1,600.00...not in awesome shape, but still it was a serious bike and the price was low. The owner was out riding it around standin g around in front of the lumber yard...And I can't afford it...I'll be okay...sometime...Just hope to have my bike on the road before next year...I don't even care if I have to test ride it in the snow at this point!. Take care, Jason.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lindsey,

Sorry to hear about your wife.
Hope all goes well.
Yea its raining here now so i got the bike in the shed and im gonna try to look it over. I have alot friends that ride.
Its about 30 of us that get together.Im gonna call few up and get them give me hand.
Maybe with few brains we can figure it out.
I got so many projects going on its like there isnt enough time in a day.
Once again i hope your wife makes out ok with her problems.

God bless your family

Thanks Jason

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Thank you

And good luck on your end... My support is a little short here on the farm...GOD has the answers, all of them. Chat with you later...thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's not about the air in the lines! (That would cause you trouble disengaging the clutch). It's about the clutch itself (it is slipping). You need to change your clutch disks. When you bleed the clutch it stopped because the clutch disks cooled while you where working on that.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Have you switched to another brand of oil? or even a different weight? With a wet clutch the problem could be the oil. I would suggest changing it and the filter before you try overhauling everything.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Bulinu' said:
It's not about the air in the lines! (That would cause you trouble disengaging the clutch). It's about the clutch itself (it is slipping). You need to change your clutch disks. When you bleed the clutch it stopped because the clutch disks cooled while you where working on that.
I'm no expert, especially with motorcycles, but here's my two cents. Feel free to ignore it if you think I'm an idiot.

My old Camry had a hydraulic clutch. The way it worked was that pressing the pedal pushed the piston in the clutch master cylinder, which increased the pressure in the line going to the transmission, and pushed the piston at the transmission, which pushed a lever that disengaged the clutch. The only time the system ever failed was when the clutch master cylinder wore out ($50 for a rebuilt one). The symptom was that I was low on clutch fluid. I filled it up, and two days later I was low again. I replaced the clutch master cylinder and that fixed it perfectly.

A hole in the line should cause you to leak fluid, and that should make the clutch always engaged (grabbing). Your problem is that the clutch is slipping.

I agree with Bulinu. The clutch plates are slipping. The two possibilities are that either the plates are worn too thin, or else they aren't getting the chance to rub against each other. If there is any way to adjust the position of the plates (perhaps by adjusting the clutch handle or somewhere else), I would sure go for that first. But I suspect that your clutch plates are worn out and need replacement. It's a big job, but not an impossible one.

I think Freakinout's idea about oil won't work. But if you're due for an oil change anyway, it can't hurt. And it's a lot easier and cheaper than replacing the clutch, so what the heck, eh?
Curt

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies,

Yea oil change is not problem ive used same oil and change it every 1,500 miles.
I guess what ill do this weekend is go head and pull the clutch and inspect it and see if i can determine if anything is worn/warped or shows damage.
im thinkin ill probably have to overhual the springs and friction plates.
I guess ill find out when i get in there.
Thanks for all the replies its good to see you all are active.

Later Jason

·
Registered
269 Posts
It diffinetly sounds like you need friction plates, just replaced mine about 1.5 months ago and it was letting me drive at speeds ok but if I gave much throttle it would just spin up and not speed up. Replaced the friction plates at about $80.00 plus the oil and filter and problem fixed. It's an easy job took just a couple hours.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whitey,

Yea thats exactly what mines doing.
I took the clutch cover off and i see there is more the one friction plate and clutch disc.
Now when i got to bikebandit and look up my bike it shows only 2 for each.
How many do i really need to get?I thaught it was like 7 or something.
Im not sure, But let me know what i need to do that fix if you can and maybe a link to purchase the parts.

Thanks Jason

·
Registered
269 Posts
Jason, go to DennisKirk.com and check for your part not sure if yours is an an '87 like mine but they got the EBC brand friction discs for like $79.00.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whitey,

Mines a 94 750.
They do have the EBC kit for $79.00 for mine also.
Do i need to get friction plates to and springs?
Or do i just need to change these clutch friction discs?

Thanks for all the help much appreciated :!:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts