Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,
I said I'd use you for my manual, so here I am. I've already experienced that the Classic 800 performs better at higher RPM, especially in the lower gears. Without a tach, how far do you go without redlining? Any hints from the speedometer. I have a manual shift car with a tach, and I know I change gears at about 60% of what the redline is in normal city driving. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
dawgblood, you'll hit the rev limiter on the 800 at 8200rpm. go over to the faq forum an you see some rpm an milage specs that I did a couple of months ago . I've got a tach on mine ,plus the list is with different gear ratio's . One other thing , with the 18/40 gear change I hit the rev limiter in second gear an was doing 82 mph. also the speedo's on the vulcans are known for reading about 10% higher than actual speed.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wood - I'll check it out. I have noticed a lot of cars passing me when I think I'm doing the speed limit or a little over, but that may just be Dallas traffic.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
dawgblood, look under rpm/sprocket change I think .I posted it here awhile back an bikoaholic move it over there .

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks woodchucks - I think I found it under sprocket change. I added a question there you may be so kind to respond to. Thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have the same problem, when I think I'm doing 70 on the Interstate, I get passed like I'm standing still. Didn't know if it was the speedo or just typical I-10 traffic through Baton Rouge. :?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

over there its both lawman :grin:

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
Awww who cares what speed your doing? Go faster than the grandmas in their huge cadillacs and go slower than the teenagers in their red mustangs and you'll be fine.

Then again, if you're worried about the redline, maybe the red mustangs better get out of your way... :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear you Slick. I really do ride conservatively. I just want to know what kind of performance I could expect if I ever really needed it (plus, I can brag to all my Harley-owning buddies!).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Dawgblood,
Install a tach and ride it like you stole it! ;-) My 4 wheel daily is a VW Jetta with the 1.8T and it sounds and drives best when you keep the revs high. My Nomad doesn't have a tach either. I was thinking about installing on so I can see if I am keeping the engine in the power band.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not a bad idea JoeNo. Any idea what a tach goes for and where you would put (since the speedo takes up most of the room on the tank)?

·
Registered
875 Posts
dawgblood said:
Not a bad idea JoeNo. Any idea what a tach goes for and where you would put (since the speedo takes up most of the room on the tank)?
Here's an online article about tachs. There are quite of few options for bolt-on and handlebar mounts. There is one by Kawasaki that bolts on the risers but it depends on the style of your windscreen.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/tachs/

·
Registered
488 Posts
I used a GPS to check my speedo on the 800B and it was 10% off. It read 77 when I was doing 70 and 66 when I was doing 60, you get the idea.

I put the 18 tooth on and never did hit the rev limiter.

DJ

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
dawgblood said:
Her's a pic of a drag specialties tach . cost about $70.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool! I may not need a tach, however, as I'm working on finding my rev limit for each gear. Got 1st and 2nd down - only 3 to go!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
dawgblood said:
Cool! I may not need a tach, however, as I'm working on finding my rev limit for each gear. Got 1st and 2nd down - only 3 to go!
Betcha don't find it in 5th! LOL or 4th for that matter.<BG>

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Slicks said:
Awww who cares what speed your doing? Go faster than the grandmas in their huge cadillacs and go slower than the teenagers in their red mustangs and you'll be fine.

Then again, if you're worried about the redline, maybe the red mustangs better get out of your way... :)
I knew I could rely on slicks to sum it up jest right!

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
woodchucks800 said:
Her's a pic of a drag specialties tach . cost about $70.
woods...how well does that tach fit with the windscreen? I really want, but don't need a tach and with windscreens most won't work except the OEM Kawasaki one for use with windscreens. plus at less than $100, its more affordable and sellable to the mrs than the + $300 Kawa..

thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts