Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading thru a lot of the old posts and stuff, it looks to me like on a bike, a lot of you guys are shifting gears at higher RPMs than i do. i have a 00 zx6r, which redlines at 14.5, and i usually shift at about 8K. will this bog my engine; is mileage better if you shift higher (that sounds counterintuitive, but i don't know much about bikes yet), or what?

·
Registered
54 Posts
It really doesn't matter when you shift really. Its all a matter of preference. Keep in mind though that the longer you keep the tach high and run on it continously, the more gas you'll consume. If I'm riding by myself then I usually shift around 6-8k just because the bike's a little quieter. The RS3 pipe I have on there is pretty loud. IF'm I'm riding with friends and going on the twisties, then I keep it reving higher, say, around 10k because you need the instant power to pull away.

What does it all come down to?

Your riding preference

Thats my $.02

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well said, webwarrior. i guess i'll stop worrying about that detail and start worrying about affordable yosh pipes like i've dreamed of!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The yoshi pipes makes your zx6r sound like a twin.. Kinda of like a Ducati Monster with that low rumble, yet when you rev it, theres no mistaken that its a 4.. hehe..

I brought my 01 zx6r to the shop to have new tires put on, D208 ZR's and I hear this nice low rumbling twin sounding bike pull in and I was thinking, thats a nice sound bike. Went to look and it was mine.. haha

Kazama said:
well said, webwarrior. i guess i'll stop worrying about that detail and start worrying about affordable yosh pipes like i've dreamed of!

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have an Z1-750R and i shift around 5-6k. i don't need instant power as i am mostly on the freeway.

kris

·
Registered
71 Posts
Keep it in mind that the Ram air on the Ninja's don't start to kick in until your around 7-8k so shifting early will keep you consumption down..

But if your out to play keeping the rev's the other side of 8k will keep you in the zone....these bikes are designed to be nailed and they have a limiter that will kill the ignition momenterally if you run out of room on the clock..
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i actually didn't know that; about the ram air not really kicking in until around 7-8K rpms. as for playing, just gotta be so much more careful, esp in louisiana, where i am. though i'm a big city, all these yokels down here with their big pickup trucks... i don't have anything against trucks, but when they're running you off the road, ya get a little resentful! :roll:

·
Registered
18 Posts
depends

Depends on where I'm going. If I am going out to play it is 7-9,500 but if I am going to pay taxes it is 3,500-4,500. I figure that my red is 11,000 and I run 60 @ about 5,000 in 6th so unless I'm in a hurry I pop 'em @ about 4 grand

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: depends

500R2001 said:
Depends on where I'm going. If I am going out to play it is 7-9,500 but if I am going to pay taxes it is 3,500-4,500. I figure that my red is 11,000 and I run 60 @ about 5,000 in 6th so unless I'm in a hurry I pop 'em @ about 4 grand
I'm about the same at that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I read that the main power band on the Ex500 (Gpz) doesnt kick in till about 6-7k revs?, i have allways shifted up at about 10.5k but thats just me.
As someone said, its all about your style of riding, i like going fast in the country lanes we have here (i am in the UK) however saying that, in the villages and in the city i change at about 4-6k, keeps the noise down and the ride smooth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts