Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title implies I have a problem that comes and goes. I own a 2002 EX500 which I purchased from a road race school.

It had been down once on the left side and this spring I dropped it again on the other side. There were side clips in place which protected the engine and the only real visable damage was a scraped pipe and chewed up bar ends.

Since I hadn't really ridden it yet and the first time I got on it was the time I dropped it [very mushy front tire - itchin' to ride in early spring] I am unsure if the problem already existed.

I put about 1100 miles on it with periods of one cylender riding. It would show up sometimes when it was cold, Sometimes when it warmed up, Sometimes in the morning, sometimes at the end of the day. I feel confident that it is not a hot or cold engine issue.

I replaced the plugs and wires. It had spark at times when the cylender was not firing. Feel pretty good about it not being a spark issue. Even went as far as to replace the coil even though I thought it was fine.

A friend of mine and extreme entusiast has done a little home work and spoken with a Kawi mechanic. The mechanic says that the EX has a Charcoal filter which can become moist or obstructed when dumped. I don't believe I haver this filter. The road race school actually did a little bit of Butcher Style mechanics and I think they may have removed the system in question.

I will investigate this some more.

Anyone else have any similar problems? How did you resolve this? I know this is a long winded post but I want all the variables to be there for anyone who might want to help a Kawi Phanatic out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've never seen any kind of charcoal filter on mine either. You're certain that it's only firing one jug? There may a fuel or vacuum line issue. Pull the tank and look for pinched broken, or otherwise unruly hoses. I' check to make sure the choke is backing off all the way. Make sure all the carb boots are tight and not leaking, on both ends. That's all I can think of, if it's getting spark, then it's not getting fuel.

Sam

1 - 2 of 2 Posts