Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon for this dumb question, how will I know if I need to switch the fuel **** to reserve from the on position. My bike has a gauge but I think its off. As I understand the red mark on the gauge near to the "E" is the reserve sign, correct me if im wrong. When the gauge reached that mark I immediately refueled but to my surprise it only took 6 liters of fuel to full it up to the neck. So Im assuming that the gauge is off. Then I took the risk of using it until the pointer is very near the E mark. Out of curiosity, I drained the tank and out goes 5 liters of fuel. So how can I know if its time to switch to reserve? Any signs or symptoms hapenning with the bike? TIA

·
Registered
533 Posts
the bike starts missing...then dies....:) not convenient...but that is what happens....then you move to reserve...and if all goes well it immediately is back to full power and whoosh you hightail it to the station!!

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
the bike starts missing...then dies....:) not convenient...but that is what happens....then you move to reserve...and if all goes well it immediately is back to full power and whoosh you hightail it to the station!!
You guys are spoiled, what's a fuel gauge? Like davidcl says, just run it and when it sputters a little switch it over.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
if it is in an easily reachable location you can switch it to reserve without even stopping, did it many times.

You guys are spoiled, what's a fuel gauge? Like davidcl says, just run it and when it sputters a little switch it over.
yep, no gage and no reserve, just an idiot light.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
When the bike starts sneezing at me, thats the gauge I use :p

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
No guage on mine. I don't like fumbling to switch to reserve so I use the odometer and fill every 150 miles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insights, when I reched a certain mark on th gauge I immediately fill her up. Just want to at least know the exact mark on the gauge and see when it does reach the reserve. I also want to know as to how many kilometers does it take for the bike to reach to reserve, thebike is new to me and would really like to know everything bout it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you're on an island, how far can it be to the next gas station? lol
As i stated, I think the gauge is not accurate, I am afraid that when it starts to splutter its already dry. It takes only a few kilometers to find a gas station out here.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
When it's puttering switch to reserve. If you are already on reserve plan on walking.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
When it's puttering switch to reserve. If you are already on reserve plan on walking.
that is one of the things I point out when I do the walk around with new bike owners. don't forget to put it back to on after you fill up or you will be walking the next time it runs out of gas.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Did that once. Now I start getting dry mouth when the bike kicks to reserve. lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just rode the bike today without filling up. I rode with 5 liters of fuel on the tank for 36 kilometers and the petcock is in the on position. Wolud it be a good idea to ride the bike again tomorrow without filling up for another 36 kilometers? I would really like to know when the bike will sputter so that I could fill er up to the neck and to have a baseline as to what kilometers will I need to fill her up. But I do have some issues on the petcock that whent I drained all the fuel last weekend, the fuel didint stop flowing on the on position. When the fuel was short on that position it just sorts of trickled. I think that even when im on my reserve that the flow wont totally stop, if ever thats the case will the bike be starved on fuel with just trickles coming out on the petcock? The bike also has a fuel pump in it. Will I notice a change in the ride like the spluttering, or will I continue to ride it ok until the last drop of fuel because of the pump keeeps on pumping fuel in the carbs? Pardon for the long message here.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
yes, you can. just make sure that it is still in the on position. at least then you can switch it to the reserve and continue to ride.

the last part don't really matter, when you run out of gas you are out of gas. it will tell you that you are out of gas by stopping. then you look at your trip meter and see that you have gone XXX.X miles and now you know to put gas in before then next time.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
figured out what you can do to not run out of gas. stop at a gas station every day right before you go home, you will always have a full tank of gas first thing when you take off the next day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rode it again covering 76 kilometers with that same 5 liters of fuel in the tank, guess what? The bike still didint sputter and didnt change the way the bike behaves. Still the petcock is in its on position.What do you think guys? Am assuming that I now have less than 3 liters on my tank. Will that amount of fuel cause the bike to sputter and ride awfull?

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
You may have crap in the bottom of your fuel tank. If you have time, take the petcock(s) off, rinse it out with clean fuel, and see if anything foreign comes out. Either that, or your carbs may need cleaned.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
So how can I know if its time to switch to reserve? Any signs or symptoms hapenning with the bike? TIA
On mine, the few times it happened, the engine sputters, dies, and then it coasts to a stop on the expressway. It's a bugger to restart after I switch to the reserve because the carbs are completely empty.

MORAL: watch the trip odometer and switch to the reserve before you run out. On mine, that's 110 miles in the city.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts