Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can shed some light on this one. Just picked up this barn find recently for a good price. It has 16000 miles on it. I cleaned up the carbs well and replaced all vacuum lines. No gas leaks.The problem I am having is the the bike is running to rich on all four carbs. Put new plugs. After the first ride they were all black and lots of black smoke coming out both exhausts. Also backfiring through both exhausts on deceleration Some suggested removing the air crew plug to adjust it.I was also told check the voltage going to the coils. Any ideas. Thanks :shock:

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Barn finds can be nice but in most cases you are going to be looking at carbs with dried out o-rings and gaskets. Nothing some rebuild kits can't fix. Also, disconnect the fuel line and vacuum line from the petcock and make sure the fuel doesn't keep flowing when it's in the run position and the engine is off. The petcock may be in need of a rebuild as well. Checking the coil voltage is a good idea as well as checking the valve adjustments.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Could also be caused by weak spark or low compression. Plugs could be the wrong heat range. Usually black smoke=unburned fuel. Make sure plugs are correct and that the air filter is clean. I remember seeing a mod to rewire coils but I'm not sure where it was, try doing a search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked out my bike on Saturday with my buddy who had voltmeter.I was surprised to find that the voltage for my coils was a little over 11 volts. We bought the wire and hardware. Fired it up. Runs a lot better. A little popping and not as much black smoke. Made a considerable difference. Going to throw some new plugs, run it, and go from there. Excellent advice.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I suggest before running the bike you make a stab at going through the basic tune up and maintenance issues and replace the carb holders and any vacuum caps. Trust me, it can save you money and make the bike run the way it supposed to. Compression check, valve adjust, adjust cam chain tensioner (if manual tensioner), set timing (if it can be set), do ignition tune using new plug wires/caps/plugs (in correct NGK or ND heat range), set carb idle mix and sync and change ALL FLUIDS and check wear on brake pads and cables (lube cables). Look at the tires carefully for dry rot and if they are dry rotted, replace before riding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did just about all the stuff you have mentioned with the exception of the plug wires. About how much voltage should I expect from the battery when it's running. I haven't had the battery checked yet. We synced the carbs best we could. I may have to check float levels again. Just seem odd that all four carbs would be running rich. Is there a way to check if the plug wires are still good?

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Did just about all the stuff you have mentioned with the exception of the plug wires. About how much voltage should I expect from the battery when it's running. I haven't had the battery checked yet.
The battery should read about 12.6V sitting (not running). The battery voltage should come up to about 14V when the bike is running above about 2k RPM.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
I checked out my bike on Saturday with my buddy who had voltmeter.I was surprised to find that the voltage for my coils was a little over 11 volts.
If the coils are the type with the ballast resitor built in, the + side of the coil should read the same as the battery voltage. If the coil uses an external ballast resistor (usually that's on older designs), the coil + voltage will be a couple of volts lower than the battery voltage.

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
Here is the order.
Valve adjust. Loose side of tolerance. DO IT.
Camchain adjust
Check ignition for operation. New plugs.
THEN carb synch. STOCK AIR BOX, Kawasaki air filter with Kawasaki part number.

I have a mental hotfoot for you. Your pilot jets are still plugged. This causes you to run the bike on the choke for an extended period of time.FOULING the plugs. Don't even THINK about a rejet. You DON'T need one. You have a mechanical issue. Fix the **** thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts