Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1975 g5 100 kawasaki
1900 mi

got the bike a couple weeks ago been sitting for 10 years in a garage, less than 2k mi the bike looks MINT

cleaned the carb, changed tran oil, emptied injector oil put new in.

runs great for the first 10 minutes, then starts to miss and pop.
will idle, but misses when you try to throttle up, especially with a load.
after it cools off, it runs perfect again.
ANY ideas?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Almost sounds like some of the electrical in the ignition might be breaking down with heat. I'd start checking the ignition system out starting with a new plug and plug wire probably.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a new plug, i put what the maual called for, it had a hotter plug in it.
that helped a little, it took a couple more minutes before it starts to sputter and pop. the plug wire is attached to the coil, I put an ice pack on the coil while it was hot, and i didn't notice much of a difference.

any yhing else i could try?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
You could try starting it up at night in a dark area and see if you can locate any arching as it warms up.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Bad condensor? Low coil voltage?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, I took the tank off, made sure all my snap connections were good,filed points trough the flywheel, made sure my plug wire was good.
Now I don't get spark at all???????????? wonder what i did?

what's the best way to get the flywheel nut off and hold the flywheel?
any ideas? can you test a coil or a condenser?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i went back over everything i did, and still no spark, don't ask me why, but i shot a squirtof wd40 on the points and condenser, and behinf the flywheel, and i got spark again, ran great around a couple bolocks.
will go on longer ride later to see if it starts to sputter {lose some spark maybe} after 10 minutes gets warm, or hot.

maybe it's a bad condensor?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
When you filed the points you probably didn't get the filings/dirt off them after. Get some spray electrical contact cleaner and give them a shot with that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, it took about 15 minutes today, and then the bike got warm hot whatever, and started missing.

i removed the flywheel cover and noticed that the points was sparking at differen places, not just the center, and at idle, it was sparking, when i throttle a little, i coudbn't see any sparks, and it was missing, at higher rpm, i could see spark.
think i need new points? where is a good place to buy them?

·
Registered
119 Posts
My KZ750B might have a similar problem. There is a bit of backfiring, but when it gets warm it misses and splutters a bit, and then stops. Until it cools, it won't start. Decent spark with new plugs fitted, the points seem fine, the fuel tap isn't broken which it was in the reserve position. Now other times it runs okay with a small amount of backfiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts