Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Living Large-down from XL
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all - Happy New Year, everyone!

I have a very nice, clean and low mileage 91 750 Zephyr that my son found for me this past spring. I have posted about my experiences of getting back on two wheels after having been a cager for over thirty years... Sorry I was off a scoot for that long!

My longest day in the saddle so far has been about 375 miles, and in truth, except for the first 100 or so, it was a painful ride. My ol fanny just isn't happy on the factory seat for any more than that, for three reasons: I'm not a kid anymore; My friends and family characterize me as having a "Cracker Azz" (not much there); I took a fall down some stairs years ago while holding above mentioned son in my arms as a baby... Managed to protect him successfully, but took a hell of a hit on my tailbone in the process. It has been a "sore point" with me any time I am forced to sit for long periods.

I have been searching the web for alternatives to the stock seat, and have read that the Russell Custom seat is one of the better ways to go. It seems they re-form the basic seat structure to give a more "bucket style" seat, along with some improvements in underlying structure and foam types.

What say you? Has anyone here on BTK had any experiences with these folks? It is a pretty fair amount of jing to invest in a bike that old, but with a comfortable saddle under me, I think I could continue to love the old girl for many thousands of miles. She only has about 15K miles on her, so is hardly broken-in (wish I could say the same about myself!)

All thoughts accepted and appreciated!
Don

·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying, Tina!

The Russell seems to get good reviews, but I've never seen nor sat on one myself.

I'm planning two longer trips this coming summer - First to Red Lodge, then a trip down into N. California... The Cali trip will be about 900 miles each way.

Tired buns for sure unless I do something.

How's your bike coming along?
Don

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Been too cold to do much. Will hit it hard next week, suppose to be in the 40's.

Actually, those seats look superior to Mustangs, I would go for it. Might want to post it in the Cruiser section, they're all about comfort!

·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give the Cruiser section a try - Good idea! Glad ONE of us is thinking...

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Tina knows where to get answers ...

The Russell seat is an exceptional seat of great quality. They are even better if you can blast down Interstate 5 and have them fit it to you. The plant is about 100 miles south of the Oregon/California border just north of Redding.

Good luck!

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
You have more info than I do, Ken!
Maybe, but you knew that those seats are used more on cruisers and pointed him the right direction.

I like the Russell Day Long seat, but like the Corbin better on a personal level. My brother just got his new Day Long and it is well fitted to his bike (HD) and is comfy, but he lives 40 miles from their shop and had it fitted to him. The only thing he really needed to go along with that new seat is a bike that will keep up with me :biggrin:

·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply, Ken!

I had noted that Russell is located in Shasta Lake, which could work out well for me, as my Sis lives just south of there in Redding...

That would make a drive-in fitting a pretty easy proposition.

I've looked at the Corbin site as well, but they don't seem set up to work on older bikes like my Zephyr. Am I wrong?

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Hi Don-
After reading your post I thought I would point you to

Rich's Custom Seats

These guys have a shop in Seattle. They can add gel to your seat, reshape it to fit you better, etc. A custom fitting might be more than an off the rack seat, but the results are mighty nice. If there's any way to haul your bike to the west side, they can usually finish it it a day.

Check it oat!

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Ken!

I had noted that Russell is located in Shasta Lake, which could work out well for me, as my Sis lives just south of there in Redding...

That would make a drive-in fitting a pretty easy proposition.

I've looked at the Corbin site as well, but they don't seem set up to work on older bikes like my Zephyr. Am I wrong?
I don't know if they made one for your bike when it first came out or not, but it is a toll free number to call and ask.

I grew up in Redding and it is great for riding in that area ... almost year around.

·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Skewterdewd~
Thanks for the additional idea! I just spent some time looking at Rich's site, and will have to go check them out next time I'm in Seattle.

Appreciate your help.
Don

·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ken ~
Just got off a request to Corbin's Customer Service with a request, and got back a nearly instantaneous answer from Michael there... alas, no joy for the Zeph, even custom!

He suggested that if I could get enough Zeph owners to put in similar requests, Corbin might be willing to do it. Not much chance of that though, eh?

I'm thinking Russell's, but will look into Rich's in Seattle as well...

Thanks everyone for your help!

Don

·
Make Mine Pure BHP
1,174 Posts
You may want to give Rick Mayer custom seats a try since your Sis lives in the Redding area. I currently live in Redding, have visited his shop when I was looking into getting my seats done, but had to postpone. The quality of his work is outstanding.

Or better yet, schedule a ride in appointment, come down and visit your Sis for a few days and get it custom built to yer butt.

:cool:

·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Brian. I was aware of Rick Mayer in Anderson as well. Apparantly his did is the one who developed and patended the system that Russell is now using, having bought the patent from Mayer.

They also appear to do excellent work.

Thanks for your suggestion... it is going in the "hopper" for consideration!
Don

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
The only problem with being in Anderson is smelling the paper plants or if the wind is from the south the cattle yard in Cottonwood :biggrin:

·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess that I could walk down and talk shop with the guys at the chicken coop in Cottonwood while they're working on the seat!

·
Scootter_man
157 Posts
I love my Zephyr too , but after the first 100 miles I too get butt burns..

·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, it's pretty sad that after that first 100 miles, you get to praying for an excuse for a gas stop or smoke break!

I WILL get this seat thing figured out this spring, 'cause since I put the Progressive front fork springs in, and we (my son and I) replaced the weak rear shocks and put on new radial Avon tires, this thing is a blast to ride!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I know 3 guys who went to Rich in Seattle....they are deliriously happy with the finished product.... they hand carried the seat in and left it.... he makes a nice adjustment and apparently it works.... I have not had mine done yet...;( I keep wasting my money on food and stuff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts