Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what s a good way to get rust out of my tank or even stop it from harming my bike, right now i can see a quarter size chunk in there, and theres also some rusting on the sides

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Way back when mine got rusted out from a load og gasoline filled with slimy water, I used the Kreem stuff. You strip the rust out with chemicals, then seal it with the liner liquid.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
depends on the condition of the tank really. If the rust isn't bad, just get a chemical to wash out the tank. it will strip the rust. That might be sufficient. As long as you keep gas full in it, you don't have to worry about rust. I had an old Suzi with a rust problem. I used a POR15 kit. it has a stripper, a cleaner, and then a sealer. it takes some time and patience to do it right, but it's not complicated. I did mine over about a week's time. I wanted to be sure it was clean and done RIGHT.

As for protecting the carbs and engine, put an in-line filter in the gas line. it'll trap the rust pretty well. you should be able to get them at most auto parts or hardware stores.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
depends on the condition of the tank really. If the rust isn't bad, just get a chemical to wash out the tank. it will strip the rust. That might be sufficient. As long as you keep gas full in it, you don't have to worry about rust. I had an old Suzi with a rust problem. I used a POR15 kit. it has a stripper, a cleaner, and then a sealer. it takes some time and patience to do it right, but it's not complicated. I did mine over about a week's time. I wanted to be sure it was clean and done RIGHT.

As for protecting the carbs and engine, put an in-line filter in the gas line. it'll trap the rust pretty well. you should be able to get them at most auto parts or hardware stores.
thanks alot you saved me getting a new tank

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Glad we could help you out!

by the way, if you go the route of the POR 15 kit, during the rinse phase, while using water, rinse it REALLY well. I think I rinsed my tank about 30 times with water before little black bits stopped coming out.

Like I said...be paitent with it so that you only have to do it once.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad we could help you out!

by the way, if you go the route of the POR 15 kit, during the rinse phase, while using water, rinse it REALLY well. I think I rinsed my tank about 30 times with water before little black bits stopped coming out.

Like I said...be paitent with it so that you only have to do it once.
whats the best way to get all the styff out of the tank. cuz where the lines go in theres a little lip.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I just worked it around, kept sloshing and working everything out. Depending on what type of bike/tank you have, it may be different. On my VX that i did, I removed the petcock and used that hole to drain it. There will be instructions that come with it that should give you details.

·
Make Mine Pure BHP
1,174 Posts
This is on you ZX-7?

If so, you'll have an inline fuel filter from the factory that you can inspect/replace for gas to the carbs. I Kreme'd my ZX-7 tank and it worked great, but was a good 6 hours of work, as well as having a friend help me pass the tank back & forth to.

Remove the tank ring and use the blue painters tape (light sticky-ness) around the filler to help protect the paint. 2-3 inches of coverage will be plenty. Remove the intake tubes for the On & Res lines. Get some vacuum line caps of various sizes and install them in the holes backwards to block the holes. Turn the tank upside down to drain the chemicals/cleaners you use. It's a lot faster.

If you do use POR or Kreme make sure you understand the instructions, the chemicals you are using, and take your time to get a quality coat. Might have been overkill, but since I didn't need it anyway, I rotated my tank when I left/came home from work for a week just to make sure all areas were coating & drying as equally as possible. Plan on having a place where you can keep the tank for this time. Don't know about the POR, but the Kreme stank and it needed to stay on the back porch. Too much for the garage even.

Oh yea - great tip - use a turkey baster for getting those tight areas just inside the tank ring area.

:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts