Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've never dealt much with spoked rims, but now I have set on an old BSA and they have a decent amount of rust on them. I'm not looking to make these rims look like brand new, but would just like to remove the rust. Is there a method to "seal" the rim so that new rust won't form again as quickly? I was thinking of maybe a clear coat or something?

The only other time I dealt with this was on a bike I was selling, so I just used to some steel wool and quickly cleaned the rust off and put a coat of wax to help keep the virgin steel coated.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
276 Posts
I trust that this is rust on the non-tire side of the rim. Some 000 steel wool is pretty easy on chromium plating when you need to shift the rust. Most good rust preventatives are industrial and not readily commercial. For day to day use, apply a good chrome polish frrequently, but for long term storage in imperfect conditions make a 50/50 mix of gasoline and engine oil and paint it on. Common engine oil is full of highly capable rust preventatives because of the water in blow-by gases.

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,704 Posts
Phosphoric Acid , Aluminum Foil , Gloves , Eye Protection and a good quality automotive paste wax .

Glove up and grab a wad of foil . Soak the foil in the acid and scrub the beejeesus out of the rim . Rinse and repeat as necessary . Apply hard paste wax to seal and buff .
Phosphoric Acid truly sux to get in the eyes ...

~kop

1 - 3 of 3 Posts