Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about a year ago I moved to a climate that has year around wet conditions. I have a cover for my Vulcan 500, but it is starting to wear out. On top of that my house does not have a garage. I just noticed some beginning stages of rust on the exhaust and mirrors. I plan on getting a completely water-proof cover very shortly.

My question is two fold..1st, can anyone tell me what is the best thing to use to scrub the little rust spots off of the bike? Also, does anyone know if there is anything that I can put on the chrome to prevent rusting?

Any Knowledge would be appreciated. My bike only has 5,500 miles on it, so I want to keep it looking good.
thanks

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
There's not much you can do to prevent rust other than use a mild chrome polish about once a month to keep things clean. Some people suggest using WD-40 sprayed over everything, but the stuff is a mess to clean off. A water proof cover must breath or condensation will quickly let rust take over. One problem with covers is that people tend to forget whatever is under the cover. When the cover does come off it can be an ugly sight due to condensation. Diligent attention to polishing seems to work for me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I user Never-Dull.

It's impregnated cotton that leaves no scratches or swirl marks.

I then polish and wax.

·
Old Dudes Rule
135 Posts
You'll need a can of Coke (diet or regular, don't matter), some aluminum foil, and some car wax (kinda partial to Ice myself). Pour the Coke in a bowl, wad up the aluminum foil into a loose ball, maybe 1" in diameter or so, dip into the coke, and rub the rust spots. The aluminum foil is softer than the chrome, so no scratches. The phosphoric acid in the Coke reacts with the aluminum ions to strip off the oxide (rust) layer. MythBusters used this on one of their shows, and liked it. When all the rust is gone, wipe with a wet cloth, dry, and wax the hell out it. The Ice spray works great on everything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts