Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

I'm contemplating adding saddle bags or perhaps a tank bag to my 83 KZ1100, but am having trouble finding something that "looks right" and contributes to the look of the bike. I don't want to put just anything on it and make it look Sanford & Son-ish.

If I go with Saddle Bags, they can be either hardshell or softshell, so long as they look like they're supposed to be there.

Also, do the tank bags "trash" the finish of the gas tank?

I am not interested in decking out the bike to make it a touring bike however; just want something to carry a few smaller things.

There's is a picture of my bike in the first thread of this Vinatge area so perhaps you've got an idea or recommendation.

Thanks In Advance,

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Luggage

Tank bags will not destroy the finish on your tank. When I traveled alot on the east coast I had a tankbag with my dry rider extra gloves, a pair of tennis shoes with socks stuck inside of them, levis, underwear, and a shirt, as well as toiletries, even used the map pocket and the small wallet pocket which cam eoff if I needed it to. If I had to pack for more than three days I used to just buy what I needed on the other end an box it up and send it back to the base, to myself. You can avoid the tankbag by just getting a nice daypack and using bungie cords or mesh to hold it in place on the back of the seat behind you. Traveling light is key to enjoying the roads. I only used my saddle bags twice, and I liked them, I just had no use for them other than to carry more than what I actually needed. Dryers take the wrinkles out of clothes, and you can actually wash them if you need to should you be going across country. The best part is sending home what you don't need. Once you get some miles of traveling down you will find that you need very little. You will even find tha tyou have room for snickers bars, jerky ,whatever and a bottle of water.

·
Registered
12 Posts
While on the subject of luggage, what is up with these new riders that actually WEAR a backpack while riding? I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a backpack while riding a bike with enough room for another person on the seat! Not only do they look ridiculous, but they are doing more work than necessary. DUDES! You're using a VEHICLE! Let the vehicle do the work for you! That's why you ride it and it doesn't ride you. C'mon you're out of high school now. Lose the bookbag and look like a grownup.

Oh and the real reason I wanted to my two cents worth... Being a user of luggage, I like style too, but have found good looks that really work with the bike are all under this brand name: EXPENSIVE. No luggage, hard or soft makes a bike look better with it than without it (expect for the goldwing which without luggage look kind of shriveled and old) so basically you're looking for the least unattractive alternative to none. I like my soft bags and tank bag 'cause if I'm just cruising around, I can easily leave them home. I like my tail-bag with the built-in bungee cords for my rain gear, gloves, and junk n stuff. It's sturdy, steady, doesn't come off accidentally, and has a carry handle so you can take it in to where you're going. Of course then you have to ride back to the restaurant where you left it on the window sill, but there is a down side to everything. Here's the down side of locking hard bags. All your friends want you to lock up their leather, helmet, rain gear, wallet, and/or whatever they're carrying or want to carry cause you're the one with bags. There is another good reason to just run with a small tank bag or tail bag. You can fill it easily with your own gear and let the fashion queens cry.

This is my tail-bag which my brother turned me on to. Chase Harper TailTrunks Not cheap or pretty, but compact and portable. Perfect for a few important items and better than a tank bag for those of us who are a little horizontally challenged. You know, fat guys.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
I ride with a tank bag, and have for longer than I care to remember :)
A magnetic tank bag is the way to go, no straps/snaps/buckles to mess with if you decide to leave it at home (which I never do anyway). I spent quite a bit of time searching for just the right bag for me as I wanted an expandable one, and it had to be big before expansion.

And I also have a set of soft bags I throw over the seat when needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A magnetic tank bag is the way to go, no straps/snaps/buckles to mess with if you decide to leave it at home (which I never do anyway). I spent quite a bit of time searching for just the right bag for me as I wanted an expandable one, and it had to be big before expansion.

"What brand do you prefer," he asks? Always looking for a good product.:smile:

·
itching to ride
2,230 Posts

Admit it. The reason you always use a tank bag is you like taking short naps while riding and it makes a great pillow. :lol:

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Admit it. The reason you always use a tank bag is you like taking short naps while riding and it makes a great pillow. :lol:
Forget the short naps, it's for resting on while riding when I can't set up for some reason :D

I can't remember the brand name on the tank bag and saddle bags, but I know they're all discontinued items.

Here's a pic of my bike with the tank bag
and saddle bags on it, on the one day I had that windshield on it.

·
itching to ride
2,230 Posts
That's a nice looking bike you got there.
I was wanting a standard but the gpz was the one I ran across first that I just could not pass on.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Here is how that bike originally looked (KZ750B twin).

My brother rides a 82 KZ1000M, and my nephew rides a 85 GPz750 Turbo, and they'd both rather ride my 750 twin :)
Spending all day in the saddle is no problem with my bike :)

With just the tank bag (normal condition).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts