Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a Vulcan 1600 Classic and am looking for a set of saddlebags for it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Brooks

·
Registered
137 Posts
We got the Willie and Max 'leather like' bags for my wife's V-Star. We put them on permanent (connecting strap under back seat) and they are holding up well, look good and hold a ton of crap!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i have wille/max 12" bags on mine too,but i think they are a little small

everybody raves about leatherlykes bags hard mounted and they do look very good :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have part numbers for any of the bags you have used on your bikes or possibly the dimensions of the bags you are using? All help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Brooks

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I went with River Road Bags - 14" x 12" x 6'" I love the look. They really add some mass to the back of the bike and they are roomy and just fit the look of the bike so nicely. I got the studded model and that matches up nicely with the studded Mustang saddle I've got on there. Bought them on-line - $130 or so if memory serves.

They have some internal reinforcement so they hold their shape.

Mounting - I used the F&S saddlebag mounts and I used the strap on the bags under the seat - great look!

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You know, Brooks, we bought those quite a while ago and don't know the designation. I just measured them and they are 12" tall, 17" long and 5.5" thick. They are, I think, about the biggest they make in the throw over style. Go here http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Category.jsp?catId=4&store=Main and call them and order a catalog. It's nice to be able to look at all the different options available in one catalog. I have gotten really good service from Dennis Kirk. That's where we ordered them and quite a few other things over the years.

·
Patriot Guardian
817 Posts
Brooks
I have the Ameritex Futura 27" w/conchoes and Phone pouch and I really
like them . However , I did'nt care for them with the Quick release mounting
system they came with . I used the Cobra saddlebag supports but the bags
flopped around , looked crooked , I just never could get them looking right !
Well , since I had a couple bills invested , I was determined to make them
work ! I drilled a couple holes in the bags and with a little longer bolts and a
couple washers , made them permenantly mounted . Now they are straight
and I think they look good . They can be removed easily for cleaning . And
they don't look like your typical saddlebags , that have a little different look .
I found mine at J&P cycles and they came with a free matching tool pouch .

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
I had Willie and Max throwovers, but I cut the strap off, popped in some grommets and bolted them on. I like being able to see the rear fender under the seat. I say "had" b/c I just removed them and installed National Cycle's CruiseLiner Hardbags. http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N1101?

·
Registered
4 Posts
anyone own the "kawasaki" accessory saddlebags? i realize they're quite a bit more expensive than many of the aftermarket types, but i'm curious what some feel re: fit and finish, installation....

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
x-wing said:
We got the Willie and Max 'leather like' bags for my wife's V-Star. We put them on permanent (connecting strap under back seat) and they are holding up well, look good and hold a ton of crap!!

Interesting. I just noticed we have the same name. Ain't that wierd, I don't run into that very often. Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Carlo.

·
Ridden like a Ford!
4,063 Posts
brooks i have the willie and max bags that you instal under the seat. they are the cheapest and i think a vry good quality saddle bag set. here are some pics. mine are 16" long x 6"wide x 12" high

·
Registered
33 Posts
Saddlebags

Brook,
Choosing Saddlebags is really a function of the type of use, conditions, storage capacity and permanence of the installation.
I chose the TourMaster Cruiser II Saddlebags - Slant Plain

XLarge - 10"H x 18"W x 6"D

These are throwovers as opposed to bags that basically require a hardware bracket to attach to the bike. I wanted to keep my bike looking clean and I have a luggage rack instead of the passenger pinion. I simply hook my bags to the luggage rack and remove them at my destination. These are not leather, handle the rain better than leather and also have a raincover if you want to use it. They are also extremely firm and keep their shape better than real leather which can be so soft that they lose their shape when not full. This isn't very attractive while riding and the bags look bad when empty. The slanted bags keep a nice line with the fender.
Bruce

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dought Saddleman Drifter Bags with the hard back. Mounted with Easy Brackets. Nice addition when wanted. No unsightly brackets and other crap when off. Sean

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check out leatherup.com, they have the absolute best prices on anything leather and the quality is great. I just got boots and saddle bags. They are outstanding.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I have the LeatherLyke crosscountry bags on my bag. I love them. Nice and roomy. Waterproof. They lock. And they're tough as nails.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts