Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Love The Donkeys!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I have a beautiful 86 ZL600. In my opinion, she needs no modifications... well, maybe a few minor mods to repair broken/cracked/less than perfect parts.

I've been told that I need to carry my own stuff. Fair enough. What options would you suggest adding to this bike without taking away from it?

My apologies... not being able to post a pic, if you google 86 zl600, it's the black one.

Thanks for your feedback!

-SeaJay

·
Bovine Scatology Artist
197 Posts
No pix necessary for me, I've got a black one, too! Here's the problems with the ZL600's and saddlebags - turn signals.

The rear signals are just about where the bags would hang if you use some throw-overs. I've tried a couple of sets of throw-overs that friends had, and the signals always got in the way. So, instead of saddlebags, I found a tailbag that I really like. Of course, finding a luggage rack for these bikes is like finding a needle in a haystack, so I had to make one myself. So far, I'm reasonably pleased.

This isn't a great pic, but it kind of shows how I'm using my tailbag. So far, I've not found much of anything that I can't fit into the bag. Can't carry a ton, but can carry a lot!!

Good luck, and enjoy your 600.

·
Love The Donkeys!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No pix necessary for me, I've got a black one, too! Here's the problems with the ZL600's and saddlebags - turn signals.

The rear signals are just about where the bags would hang if you use some throw-overs. I've tried a couple of sets of throw-overs that friends had, and the signals always got in the way. So, instead of saddlebags, I found a tailbag that I really like. Of course, finding a luggage rack for these bikes is like finding a needle in a haystack, so I had to make one myself. So far, I'm reasonably pleased.

This isn't a great pic, but it kind of shows how I'm using my tailbag. So far, I've not found much of anything that I can't fit into the bag. Can't carry a ton, but can carry a lot!!

Good luck, and enjoy your 600.
I am VERY interested in how you made your luggage rack! The tailbag looks good! No, Great! Doesn't give it that bulky look at all! Also, where did you get your tailbag? Thanks a million for your great feedback!

·
Bovine Scatology Artist
197 Posts
I'm pleased with the look, too. As you said, not bulky, and doesn't end up swallowing the bike. Some of the euro ZL600 riders have modified bags but to me, it just makes the thing look cluttered, detracts from the looks of the bike.

I'll see what I can put together for you on the rack. I just took some scrap aluminum that already had some 90 degree bends in them, and cut out two pieces to mount where the sissy bar mounts. If you look inside the sissy bar, you'll find 4 bolts, 2 on each side, that holds the top of the bar on to the base. That's where the OEM rack mounted back when you could find the stock racks. From there, they just extend out far enough for the bag to set on. On top of the arms is just a flat piece for the bag to live on.

Now about the bag. I found it at a local leather shop, tripped on it actually. I went in looking for gloves &/or chaps, and tripped over the bag on the floor. It has two pockets on the side and a huge inside compartment. When I'm drawing out the rack, I'll see if I can find a manufacturer name. It's a good piece, and has stood up against most of the weather that Kansas has thrown at it so far.

Glad to help, good to have another 600 driver around!!

·
Love The Donkeys!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pleased with the look, too. As you said, not bulky, and doesn't end up swallowing the bike. Some of the euro ZL600 riders have modified bags but to me, it just makes the thing look cluttered, detracts from the looks of the bike.

I'll see what I can put together for you on the rack. I just took some scrap aluminum that already had some 90 degree bends in them, and cut out two pieces to mount where the sissy bar mounts. If you look inside the sissy bar, you'll find 4 bolts, 2 on each side, that holds the top of the bar on to the base. That's where the OEM rack mounted back when you could find the stock racks. From there, they just extend out far enough for the bag to set on. On top of the arms is just a flat piece for the bag to live on.

Now about the bag. I found it at a local leather shop, tripped on it actually. I went in looking for gloves &/or chaps, and tripped over the bag on the floor. It has two pockets on the side and a huge inside compartment. When I'm drawing out the rack, I'll see if I can find a manufacturer name. It's a good piece, and has stood up against most of the weather that Kansas has thrown at it so far.

Glad to help, good to have another 600 driver around!!
Sweet! Thank you SO much! I'm very relieved that I won't have a set of saddlebags on wheels! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts