Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 1500 classic and have a nice set of bags for it, but they do not set back far enough. I want them to go just behind the shocks because they are slanted and will fit there well.
Problem #1 - I would need a bracket to keep them away from the brake and wheel assembly. Can anyone recommend one?
Problem #2 - The strap that connects the bags together will not slide back far enough to allow for this position, and cutting away at it to make it fit would weaken it for sure.
thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you don't mind cutting off the yoke(strap),you could hard mount them and position them exactly the way you like.You could get EZ brackets,or make your own...I'm sure others will chime in with ideas. Nice bike by the way!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gret ideas

i made my own buy using this site on,..( Fast20 Saddlebag Support System ) they show you how to do it all for only about 20.00 and a little time. you will have to remove your yoke. and mount to your bike. but i love mine and saved alot.
My yoke zips off so that is no problem, I like the EzBrackets but kinda pricey. The cutting board looks interesting and cheap, well it still a long winter up here so I have time to think on it.
'Thanks

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I did the cutting board idea on my 1600. Cost about 10 bucks. I mounted the boards inside the bags and then bolted the bags directly to the fender rail. It's a temp measure until I get some hard bags, but it looks good and was easy to do.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
OK one suggestion on mounting. I have easy brackets and still had issues I did not like. I didnt like the way the bag deformed for lack of a better description. It seemed to want to kind of sag to the inside towards the wheel if I loaded them up. So what I did is take apiece of thin maybe 1/4 or a bit less plywood and cut it to fit the inside of the bag. I see the instructions say to use large washers or something to keep the bag from tearing. If you put the thin board inside it is supported on both sides so to speak. Still use a large washer but you'll have more support.

·
Michigan Back Road Rider
293 Posts
OK one suggestion on mounting. I have easy brackets and still had issues I did not like. I didnt like the way the bag deformed for lack of a better description. It seemed to want to kind of sag to the inside towards the wheel if I loaded them up. So what I did is take apiece of thin maybe 1/4 or a bit less plywood and cut it to fit the inside of the bag. I see the instructions say to use large washers or something to keep the bag from tearing. If you put the thin board inside it is supported on both sides so to speak. Still use a large washer but you'll have more support.

I had the same issue with Easy Brackets and Saddleman bags that started to crack around the bolts. (almost lost a bag on the road!) I used a sheet of aluminum and large washers to firm it all up. Works great now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great info, bike is out of paint shop and looking great, windshiel has arrived. Now I need to make up mind on ez brackets, and if I go with them than add more support inside bags. Got it. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more question

If you look at my bags above, you see the shape of the front of the bags, slant shape. I want this slant to fit just behind the rear shocks that have the same slant angle. Now the front mounting bolt for the ez brackets is just a couple of inches behind the shock, is there enough room to mount the bracket to the bag and still be behind the shock. Does that make any sense to you?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Yes makes sense to me. You want the bag to follow contor of slant on shock. You may also want to "sandwich" the bag with the wood it you go that route. A piece on the back to keep out of wheel and a smaller piece inside to sort of act as a "big washer" and not deform. On the location thing it is going to mostly count on where and how the brackets attach. Mine on my 900 attached to the bolts that hold the chrome trim thing to the fender. Try looking at thier site and see if they have any pics, also I think its Mean Cycles has a owner pic place you might see something there. I could actually move my bags back say 2" or so towards the rear if I wanted to. But this would leave the bag not centered and also more weight hanging off the rear of the bracket/bag. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Not a great pic but you can see how I mounted my bags so they are just behind the shocks. I had to a corner off of the cutting boards to get them to fit inside the bags. I put a scrap of 2x4 on my pipes, sat the bag on it, and marked where the fender bolts would go thru, drilled it out, and then mirrored that on the left bag so they were both mounted evenly.

edit- I found a couple more pics, including one of the inside of the bag with the cutting board mounted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.