Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another thread but thought others may be interested. I bought some cheapo leather saddlebags but I didn't like the center flap.

So I sliced off the leather center flap using a straight edge that I clamped on and a razor knife. I made 2 braces for each bag, the outer from aluminum (I'll polish them later) and steel inner braces.

The outer

The inner (Note:if you mount bags like this be careful about the length of the bolts. If they are too long they will damage the rear fender. Glad I noticed)

I needed saddlebag supports so I ordered some off of eBay. I got the ones that have a bend in them. THEY DON'T WORK! I had to beat them straight on my anvil which ruined the chrome but at least I know the straight Cobra guards will work.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After having the opportunity to ride a little with the bags on, they are wonderful. I may just grind all of the cracked chrome off the guards and paint them for now.

I think these saddlebag guards should not be sold the way they are on eBay. I don't see any way they could work without hitting the caliper or using a crap load of spacers.

It looks like straight guards are the only one that will work on the 900 to me like these:

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not yet, but just look at the first pic and imagine no center flap. They look good and are very secure. I used a small snap ring to fasten the back of the bags to the guards.

Heck, I went shopping the other day. A 6 pack of beer, a 2 liter of Coke, a 4 pack of t.p. and misc other items. Seems strange using the bike for a grocery getter! :lol:

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
Nice job on your bags! Makes the bike look better I think.

I did the same thing with my new bags. They are really stiff so I didn't need any backing just the Cobra bag bracket.

:D
Aif

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a follow up on the saddlebag installation.

I haven't had any problems and I love the add'l storage. The only issue is that I think I may make the outer braces a little longer or space the bags out a little. The frt edge of the bag barely contacts the fender brace cover. I'm concerned that it may rub on the chrome in the long term. There was no contact at first but I guess the leather has relaxed.

·
AZs #1 TOURIST ATTRACTION
15,308 Posts
Looks good, been thinking about do something like that for myself but want them quick disconnect.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Looks good, been thinking about do something like that for myself but want them quick disconnect.
You can make (or buy) the Leatherlyke mounts and attach them that way. Two "bobbie" pins and each bag comes off.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Are there any other good methods similar to this?
I got 2 plastic cutting boards for wal-mart and a can black spray paint. Drilled 4 holes in 2 in the bottom to mount the board to the bag and 2 up top spaced the fit the mounting holes in the frame. So far as worked great very sturdy doesn't move at all. Only cost me $10 or the el-cheapo cutting boards $3 for the black paint (optional, but helps hide everything) and a 6 pack of Bud select (substitute your favorite drink here). I don't have any pics of how I did it sorry. There was another thread of some one that did the same with pics I can't find it now maybe you'll have better luck.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back when I did this, I think I spent $12.00 on materials to make the brackets. Since I hardly ever install my bags, much better that $132.00 EZ brackets. Only takes about 5 minutes to install the bags.....and no trace of them when they're off.

·
Fast20
282 Posts
i like your idea...

this is what i did on my 1500 and Gadget was nice enough to post on his website...

Fast20 Saddlebag Support System

then made some changes to the washers that to hold bag on.. see below

Picasa Web Albums - randy - HARD MOUNT BAGS

i also had to make a spacer that ive not taken pictures of yet.. but the right bag was hitting the break.. so i needed to push the bag out a little more..

·
Registered
56 Posts
OOOh I remember this one. I like. Did you forgo the saddlebag supports? I will have to figure out an alternative for hardware as I do not have the backrest.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well to those of you that are still reading this old post....here's why I dig my cheap and easy to install saddlebags. I ride with no bags 99% of the time, but if I need some storage for a longer ride....I throw on my saddlebags, my Walmart tour pack (ok it's a cooler that I strap under the back of the seat and clipped to the strap) and my handlebar bag. $85.00 worth of handy storage and it takes about 5 minutes to install it all!

·
Fast20
282 Posts
Well to those of you that are still reading this old post....here's why I dig my cheap and easy to install saddlebags. I ride with no bags 99% of the time, but if I need some storage for a longer ride....I throw on my saddlebags, my Walmart tour pack (ok it's a cooler that I strap under the back of the seat and clipped to the strap) and my handlebar bag. $85.00 worth of handy storage and it takes about 5 minutes to install it all!

yeah.. have one of those tour packs but got it at big lots... i put eye screws in the bottom and cable tied to my buggie hooks on the fender... just cut the cable ties and its off in about 10 secounds

1 - 20 of 21 Posts