Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All - I just joined the forum and have done numerous searches on this topic. Got some good info, but haven't seen anything that discusses a direct comparison of the Mustang, Corbin, and the alternate Double Leather Seat offered by Kawasaki.

Concern #1: Do the Mustang and Corbin saddles ruin the line/look of the Mean Streak so much that I'll end up being more disappointed in the bike's appearance than the discomfort of the stock seat?

Concern #2: Does the alternate Kawasaki Double Leather Seat offer enough of an improvement for the passenger to warrant the cost? I definitely prefer the look of this saddle but want to make sure it's satisfying the needs of a passenger.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
--MK

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome to the board mk!

the seat thing is very subjective-you'll find lovers of both corbin and mustang
here.the kawi seat does not seem to be a real option around here for the most part-most of us hate their seats and its the first thing we all change :grin:

ride safe!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the optional Kaw seat with the shark skin inserts and I don't think I could be happier. My life loves the passenger seat as well. She says it's a huge improvement over the stock seat. She's ridden with me for over 300 miles and didn't complain about it once and trust me...If it weren't adequate she would have let me know about it. I can strongly recommend the Kaw seat.

·
Registered
403 Posts
One option is to use the stock saddle when riding solo and switching to the double saddle when you ride 2-up. It's 3 bolts (2 different sockets sizes though) on and off. If you go with Corbin, it uses only the rear bolt. The Mustang allows you to remove the passenger pillion, IMO the Corbin is most comfy for 2-up.

Logon to www.CruiserCustomizing.com and you can see lots of pics with different setups.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, MK592, I have a Nomad with stock seats that gave me a real burn on trips over 50 miles. Saw an article somewhere on carving off the top of the foam under the cover with an electric carving knife and changing some of the padding to suit the sore spots. I found some tempur-pedic foam 16" x 18" x 1" that was just perfect, Cut that to fit over the original foam and reinstalled the cover. It is perfect for me. Bonus is the cost was about $10. I have extra foam if you are interested and can send you a piece or two for $5 each plus shipping. I shipped some to some other guys and the cost was under $5 per piece. The look of the seat doesn't change with this mod, so if you are looking for different appearance, this wouldn't work for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks TeddyMar, but I am more concerned with the passenger seat than I am with my own. I find the driver seat to be comfortable enough but alas, the complaints that shower over my shoulder are the real pain in the a$$.

I've heard several positive responses concerning the Fire & Steel seat and no complaints... so I think that's the way I'm leaning as I much prefer the look of it to the Mustang.

I'm curious if anyone has experience mounting a sissybar to the Kawasaki Fire & Steel replacement seat. In particular - the Cobra Mini Sissybar. I'd greatly appreciate any pics you could point me to!

Thanks,
--MK

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'd give the HAC sissybar a good look ... it mounts direct to the frame extensions (under the chrome billet covers) and is much sturdier than those that mount on the outside (Mapam for one). Plus you can get a rack for it.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Jeff-
......ummmm,..... solo seat, fender bib, and sissy bar,..........
She must really love you or love riding to sit on the fender bib :p
I'm sure you take the bib off and put her seat on, but I looked at your pic and something just didn't looke right :-|

·
R.I.P. Deron Harden
2,698 Posts
I was afraid I wouldnt like the "bulkieness" of the 2 up, but I think the Mustang and the Cobra Mini look preaty good on the bike.
Obviously the Marauder tail is different.... but this will give you an idea.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
King of wings...do you feel the mustang moved you back from the bars?..Just curious,as some seem to be using risers and such to get the bars closer to them as it is with the stock seat.

I think your bike looks just awsome by the way. Where did you get the nice small bags in the pic you posted on another thread?

·
R.I.P. Deron Harden
2,698 Posts
Lower yes, but I don't think any further back. I don't have any problem with the bars at all.
River Road Compact Slants.... nice size for the bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mustang seat

I bought the mustang dual seat awhile ago and sent it back. I was looking primarily for a seat that would be comefortable for a passenger, lets face it the hocky puck isn't worth a darn if you ride for more thasn 10 minutes. She loved the rear seat but I hated the drivers. First, I felt like the ridge in the back was hitting me right in the tail bone. (I even got the backrest). I knew it would be hard at first, but it was just too uncomfortable to believe it would get better. It wasn't the hardness as much as where the pressure was applied. Also, I am 6'3" and have pretty long legs and I felt like it moved me forward a great deal making it arkward to shift. But, I can say that if you buy directly from Mustang they allow you to return the seat, I think you have two weeks. That was why I tried it and they were extremely good about taking it back. My buddy has a Mustang on his VTX and it is very comfortable. I think its just a matter of doing the best with what they can. I am going to be ordering the alternate seat from Kawasaki here in then next day or so, they allow 30 days to return. My real wish though is that someone would make a good seat for the meanie that had a removable passenger seat. (Why I went with Mustang at first). If anyone knows of someone else making one I would be all ears. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a mustang seat on my 1500 classic and love it. 500 mile days are fine. My problem , just got a 2005 Nomad and Mustang does not list one yet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I recently purchased the Mustang solo seat with rider backrest and passenger pinion. From an aesthetic perspective, I personally think the Mustang solo seat really compliments the lines of the Mean Streak.

Since putting the seat on, I've logged ~1,000 miles, with the longest ride being 350 miles. It is a wonderfully supportive seat, even without back rest.

One thing I've gathered from researching this forum is Mustang seats seem to fit those who are of "average" size, whereas Corbin is probably a better bet if you're taller than the 6'0" mark. I personally am 5' 9" with a 30" inseam, standard controls and have not had any back pain at all. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I love the looks of the Mustang ... See the pics for yourself.

My Ride

1 - 17 of 17 Posts