Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to read about the new potential rules regarding exhaust noise on motorcycles. A standard is being proposed that seems to be viable to enforce.

I'm not a proponent of running straight pipes or anything like that, but at the same time, to me, this kind of smells of the same slipery slope that exists with the gun control debate.

Assuming that legislators pass such a law and set standard readings at 92 and 96 decibels, what then stops some sensitive-eared legislator from passing an amendment to then lower it to 82 and 86, then lower, etc.

Perhaps I'm thinking about it wrong, but I'd bet that most reasonable people would agree that straight pipes are the problem. Why not just issue law enforcement with broom handles. if they slide all the way up, the pipes are illegal. Otherwise, leave us alone!

Personally, I vote a resounding NO to SAE J2825!

Let the debate begin! :D

SAE J2825 Standard : Cyclepedia Press LLC

·
Registered
699 Posts
Assuming that legislators pass such a law and set standard readings at 92 and 96 decibels, what then stops some sensitive-eared legislator from passing an amendment to then lower it to 82 and 86, then lower, etc.
Same could be said for what HAS happened to a lot of government social programs. Which is my primary misgivings on the proposed Health Care bill.

Why not just issue law enforcement with broom handles. if they slide all the way up, the pipes are illegal. Otherwise, leave us alone!
That's what they carry (a dowel) when they do on-the-spot checks on off-highway-vehicles out here. But that's just a 'is something there' check. It has to be a USFS approved spark arrestor to be compliant.

The test has to be legally enforcable.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Way to stir the pot, Dave. :lol: You know this will eventually head to the trash bin. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it'll find it's way there.

Most probably already know my stand on this so no need to go into my rhetoric. I'll save that for when someone calls me a "dirt bag" biker or "poser" because I have loud pipes. ;)

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, this isn't really about "loud pipes" as much as what limits should be placed on the loudness and how to manage it. I don't mind that they have come up with a managable standard, and the article I read included some aftermarket manufacturers testing that their pipes aren't far from the numbers recommended.

My personal concern is the freedom of choice type of thing. Once you give a bit, then it seems to slide further, much like the gun control arguement does.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
well, this isn't really about "loud pipes" as much as what limits should be placed on the loudness and how to manage it. I don't mind that they have come up with a managable standard, and the article I read included some aftermarket manufacturers testing that their pipes aren't far from the numbers recommended.

My personal concern is the freedom of choice type of thing. Once you give a bit, then it seems to slide further, much like the gun control arguement does.
Only freedoms we have anymore is what the current administration allows us to have. And I don't mean just this current one either. So no one go getting your panties in a bunch.

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
Even if I'm a 'soccer mom', I think that's one battle that I wouldn't bother fighting. They have bigger fish to fry IMO.

I would actually love to watch our police actually catch these people that rape, murder, abuse kids, steal, etc than worry about how loud our pipes are. Maybe focus on more punishment for those crimes than just slapping their wrists.

Last week, they had a manhunt for a man than jumped onto a freight train and rode on it for awhile before jumping off here in Birmingham. They had numerous policemen searching for this guy like it was some huge, devastating crime or something. I'm thinking - sheesh - do they not realize that we actually have some criminals out there? When asked "what did he do", they responded "He just sat there until he decided to jump off". Wow! Get over it already. Sorry for the hijack - but this is the kind of stuff that annoys me - and this example is equally absurd.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
A little chip on your shoulder there, Ryan? :D
Nah, I just get sick of the whole loud pipes debate. What are they really hurting anyone?!

I would actually love to watch our police actually catch these people that rape, murder, abuse kids, steal, etc than worry about how loud our pipes are. Maybe focus on more punishment for those crimes than just slapping their wrists.
Thank you!!!!

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nah, I just get sick of the whole loud pipes debate. What are they really hurting anyone?!

Thank you!!!!
I'm with you, but this isn't so much about the loud pipe debate as it is about how to enforce it. I know they are going to come up with something. My concern here is that giving in to any standard opens the door to a reduction of those standards. I think I'm going to take the pipes off the Connie to protest! :D

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,540 Posts
here's my $0.02 for all its worth...WTF why are we even worrying about BS like this. Crime, drugs, etc is going crazy and we are going to waste our tax money on broom handles to shove up motorcycle exhaust pipes...

if you ask me, i can tell you EXACTLY where the broom handles need to go, un lubed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, no! The broom handle was MY idea instead of readings. What they'll do is issue meters in police departments and be able to pull you over and test your noise. That's not unlike they can do today, I guess, but this would be a national, standardized test and level. In a way, it's good because it eliminates the need for local ordinances, but I suppose they could pass local laws to override it, just like the helmet law in Myrtle Beach.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.