Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the gadget page, My 1600 with 10% speedo error shows that
83 MPH indicated (so, 75 true speed) is cruising at 52% or 3,086 RPM.

Is that a "safe" speed on a big v twin for all day long cruising, or will that kind of use decrease engine longevity?

I know on my old KZ or any of my cars, I wouldn't consider that anywhere near too many revs - but this is my first bike of this kind.

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response guys that is a help for me.

I should have asked a different question that really gets to the heart of the matter for others as well ---

For a big v twin with a 5,900 - 6,000 redline, what RPMs range starts to get a little much for an owner who is concerned about long lasting / trouble free riding?

·
Registered
406 Posts
rpm and speed

do not fear, vulcans are made to run hard for long periods, my 2003 nomad 1500 the odo. just turn 100,000 miles, and most of the time i push it hard, my average speed on long trips is 85-95 miles an hour, no problem, as long as you keep a good oil change routine, and on long trips, do check the oil level so that you never run it low, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,361 Posts
on my 04 1500 classic I ran all day at 3500 rpm, that seemed to be the sweet spot

·
900 LT
1,136 Posts
I know the 900 will run all day at that speed (done it) and im hopeful that the 1600 can keep up with the 9 on the long haul lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.