Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:
I Thought I Would Start A Thread About Safety Checks We Should Be Performing And Some General Tightening Up Ideas. If Anyone Has A Bike That They Found Something Loose On, Let Us Know. If You Can Think Of Something That Should Be Checked Or Tightened Up, Let Us Know. Anything Saftey. I Have A 2002 Vulcan 800 Classic. I Found That From Bumps In The Road And Normal Vibration, The Inch And An Eighth Nut On Top Of The Tripple Tree Became Loose. I Did'nt Notice It When The Bike Was On Its Wheels But When I Jacked It Up One Day, Wow, It Was Very Loose. I Told The Mechanic At The Dealership And He Suggested That Due To Road Conditions And General Vibration, That Bolt Can Loosen Up And I Should Get Into The Habit Of Putting A Wrench On It Every Once In A While. Remember, It Wont Seem Loose With The Weight Of The Bike On It, Only When You Jack It Up. Got Something You Found On Your Specific Bike? Because The Different Model Bikes Are Very Simular In Construction, Certain Problems Might Just Happen On More Models Than One. Let Everyone Know

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Uuhhhmmm....When I sit on my bike....I seem a little loose....does that count? :)

Kidding aside....if your rear turn signal light wobbles like mine did and you want to tighten it up.....simply remove the bolts and the round metal spacers. Draw a line around the metal spacers with a felt tip pen about 1/16th of an inch from one end. Then using a bench grinder....grind down each spacer to the line you drew on each spacer. Re-attach the bolts/spacers once your done and the wobbly turn signal light will now be firm.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Great idea for a thread! This should be interesting.

Copy Whistle on the rear turn signals, mine started flopping around and I tightened them up...haven't loosened since.
I had an odd one shortly after I bought my Vulcan. The Heel/toe shifter had a little excess play. It is mounted to the shifter shaft via a spline. Even after tightening the split spline hub, there was still excess play between the spline shaft and the spline hub of the shifter. So, using all my shade tree mechanical ability, I wrapped the spline with teflon tape and shoved the hub on and tightened the hub bolt. VOILA! No more looseness, and 20,000 miles later is still tight.
Aside from those two items, I haven't found any other loose fasteners.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
whistle clean said:
Uuhhhmmm....When I sit on my bike....I seem a little loose....does that count? :)

Kidding aside....if your rear turn signal light wobbles like mine did and you want to tighten it up.....simply remove the bolts and the round metal spacers. Draw a line around the metal spacers with a felt tip pen about 1/16th of an inch from one end. Then using a bench grinder....grind down each spacer to the line you drew on each spacer. Re-attach the bolts/spacers once your done and the wobbly turn signal light will now be firm.
We all know your a little loose ,but we let you hang around here anyway.<BG>

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
woodchucks800 said:
We all know your a little loose ,but we let you hang around here anyway.<BG>

LOL....Hanging around.....I really like that! I learn alot being around you guys......."Buddy". :)

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Thanks T-Man for that tip....I've noticed the same thing and will use teflon the same way.

Knightrider....Good idea with your post. I can see alot of good tips and ideas on their way. Thanks!

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I like Whistle am now finding myself out in the garage tinkering, polishing, sitting on the bike making funny noises because I can't ride. The only thing I've found so far is, since installing my pipes I had never come back and checked the head bolts, so I rechecked them and with the heating up and cooling down, they had slipped just a tad, got 'em tight now.

great thread starter!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, with the weather the way it is where I am, ive got nothing to do but tinker. Just dont overtighten anything. We dont want to stretch or strip any threads. Use a torque wrench where specified. If you find anything loose, let us know.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
Knightrider said:
Yeah, with the weather the way it is where I am, ive got nothing to do but tinker. Just dont overtighten anything. We dont want to stretch or strip any threads. Use a torque wrench where specified. If you find anything loose, let us know.
that brings up the question i was going to ask. my mother's husband told me that he used to torque all the bolts on his Nomad at the beginning of the riding season. would a tech manual have the torque numbers that would be necessary to do this ? does anyone else do this ? should i just be checking the important ones like that triple tree nut and maybe the axle nuts ? thanks guys.
good idea Knightrider !

·
37,387 Posts
on the maintenance shcedule wity my bike it calls out for periodic torque checks. I've not looked in my manuals to see if there is a list of what is supposed to be checked but I would have to think that there is a prime list of the critical items.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys:
The shop manual has torque specifications for all of the nuts and bolts on the bike. They also give you a safety check proceedure and a list FOR GENERAL TIGHTENING UP. Go through the manual. You could also go to GADGETS pages, he has a maintenance section. Just think of what you wouldnt want falling off the bike at 60 MPH and write it down and you should have a pretty good list of things to check. Bikes vibrate a lot not only because of the road but because of the engine and its rigidity. Remember, dont overtighten any bolts and if you continuously tighten bolts without a torque wrench, you run the risk of stretching the threads. Buy a torque wrench. It dont have to be real good one. You could buy an inch pound and a foot pound torque wrench. The old spring bar type will work just fine. Go to www.harborfreight.com Check out their online catalog. A great place for tools.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Ya know your bolts are too loose when you start out on a ride with everything attached....and when you return your bike looks like a stripped down chopper. :shock:

·
37,387 Posts
when i installed my lightbar lastnight, the 27mm center bolt on the tripple trees was very loose. I noticed that my front end made a rattle noise when I hit bumps in the road while out yesterday. Since I had to go to Sears to buy a 27mm socket, I would've needed to grip up a pair of channel locks to fix it, good timing on my part.

·
32,545 Posts
Knightrider said:
Hey guys:
The shop manual has torque specifications for all of the nuts and bolts on the bike. They also give you a safety check proceedure and a list FOR GENERAL TIGHTENING UP. Go through the manual. You could also go to GADGETS pages, he has a maintenance section. Just think of what you wouldnt want falling off the bike at 60 MPH and write it down and you should have a pretty good list of things to check. Bikes vibrate a lot not only because of the road but because of the engine and its rigidity. Remember, dont overtighten any bolts and if you continuously tighten bolts without a torque wrench, you run the risk of stretching the threads. Buy a torque wrench. It dont have to be real good one. You could buy an inch pound and a foot pound torque wrench. The old spring bar type will work just fine. Go to www.harborfreight.com Check out their online catalog. A great place for tools.
thanks for the info Knight. guess i have to call Beartooth and get a shop manual now !

·
32,545 Posts
spok said:
when i installed my lightbar lastnight, the 27mm center bolt on the tripple trees was very loose. I noticed that my front end made a rattle noise when I hit bumps in the road while out yesterday. Since I had to go to Sears to buy a 27mm socket, I would've needed to grip up a pair of channel locks to fix it, good timing on my part.
hehe, yeah i would say GREAT timing !

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Same thing happened to me Ispeed. If you check to see if the bolt is loose by trying to turn it with your finger, it seems tight. As soon as you lift the bike off the floor with a jack, you can see how loose the bolt really is. With the weight of the bike on the front wheel, it seems tight. Check that bolt often. It has been known to loosen up quite often. You also must make sure that the steering bearings have the proper preload set on them. Lift the bike off the floor and try to move the front wheel forward and back to see if there is any play in the steering bearings. You dont want those bearings banging around. Just the right amount of preload should be applied by adjusting the locking nuts with a spanner wrench. Then Lock up the top tripple tree bolt. Check the manual for a bearing service interval.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts