Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rider safety course may become mandatory in Connecticut:

General Assembly Weighs Requiring New Motorcyclists To Take 15-Hour Training Class - Courant.com

The legislature's appropriations committee voted Monday 42-2 in favor of a bill that would require anyone applying for a motorcycle endorsement, regardless of age, to complete a novice motorcycle training course. Currently, only those under 18 must take a training course.
The motorcycle training bill would go into effect Oct. 1 and would result in a $100,000 cost to the DOT, which administers the Connecticut Rider Education Program. The bill has a price tag because more equipment would be needed to meet additional course demand.

For next fiscal year, the Office of Fiscal Analysis says, the initial cost could be covered by a federal grant. However, lawmakers worry that federal funding will not be available later on. This could mean an increase in the novice safety course fees, the legislature's budget office says.
Of course, it would be nice if all vehicle operators had to take some kind of class, not just motorcycle riders. Perhaps if all drivers on the roads got the quality of instruction the BRC gives you, riders wouldn't have to use those defensive riding techniques so often...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm all for it in every state the only problem I have is whenever the government passes a mandatory law which requires a fee, they up that fee. When passports became mandatory, the charge increased and for what. The post office was not required to do anything different than what they originally did prior to the law. Therefore, if the fee is low, such as it is here in Michigan ($25) then suddenly increases after a law, someone is pocketing the extra.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm all for it in every state the only problem I have is whenever the government passes a mandatory law which requires a fee, they up that fee. When passports became mandatory, the charge increased and for what. The post office was not required to do anything different than what they originally did prior to the law. Therefore, if the fee is low, such as it is here in Michigan ($25) then suddenly increases after a law, someone is pocketing the extra.
Well, according to the article, it would cost more because they would likely need more bikes and other equipment to keep up with the additional demand. You can't teach potentially twice as many people with the same number of bikes.

However, it sounds like it might not fall on those taking the course, if the above quotes mean what I think they do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts