Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a thousand ways to modify your bike, you can add horse power, you can play with the suspension, you can change the cosmetics, you can change just about every part of your bike.

Other than cosmetics, we can only recommend that you stick with Kawasaki official recommendations if you want to keep your bike running in a safe and reliable manner.

Adding Nitrous, lowering your bike, using tires in sizes that the bike and/or rims were nor designed for, adding aftermarket ignition modules, etc..... Well these are mods that could adversely affect the handling/safety of your ride, they could damage your engine or other components.

There is just no way we can endorse any non Kawasaki parts or even switching parts from one Kawasaki to an other or switching to parts that fall outside Kawasaki recommendations..

That is not to say that there aren't any good reliable aftermarket parts/suppliers out there but should you choose to go that route you are doing so at your own risk.

So please take the time to find out what a modification entails before spending the money, want wider tires, find out what the widest tire actualy safely fits on the rim before hand, is there enough clearance for the tire ? Will a wider tire actually improve handling ? Is there a safer way to improve handling? Is tire choice more important that tire size?.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TIRES

I would argue that the Dunlop 630 Tires are a great tire for commuting but not for sport riding. A sport bike, as the Ninja 250R implies SHOULD have better, softer compound tires, than what it is being sent out the door with. I know that Kawasaki cannot endorse the changing of shocks...Legal Issues, but to completely remove a shock to adjust it and then replace it to see if it is now set exact... It's set for the "Average Rider" would that be American 10 pounds over weight, 5'8" tall...C'mon, Uncle Bob...Kawasaki may be my bike of chioce and I absolutely love the 250R, but it is seriously lacking in the technology area...I'm not saying that someone should create a Lawsuit against my favorite bike but with out proper adjustment, just shove the bike out the door and not have the bikeshop properly set the suspension...they are seriously leaving the door open...and this is not the only area with the 250 or even the 500. Kawasaki needs to send out a National Recall, or get serious about making adjustments, and changes to their bikes, or the liability will crush them and they will sink faster than the Titanic did. I'm NOT an Attorney, I'm in no way myself connected...in anything like this...I just want SAFETY to be KEY. LED's are an Example...IF you would like to discuss this further PLEASE Call me or ontact me and we can chat...shoot, maybe we can get together in Montana...Not California, to chat. I'd like to se our FORUM Sponsor Take charge for the Riders, IF nothing else change teh proceedures to cover Kawasaki in the entire United States. Beartooth is one of the best dealers that I have EVER had the opportunity to talk with. Joey, (ARGHH) his boss, and even the Parts people know their business. They should/could take the lead on this and end up not only with the publicity (as they should for having the FORUM anyway), but a larger piece of the "Pie" from Kawasaki-USA. Give me a call?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sigh !

As I stated stick with the Kawaki recommendations, I can see your point on certain areas but on the other hand Kawasaki also bases their info on facts.

They know who buys 250's, largely new riders starting out and riders to whom performance is not a priority. Riders that probably couldn't tell the difference from one setting to the next.

Not to say that the 250 can't be a performance bike but that is not the identified use for 99% of owners.

That is the way the bike is set up when leaving the factory. To satisfy the needs of the majority of the owners at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Another SAFETY Sticky

Time to change tire pressure...esp for those in Colder weather!!! Tire pressure goes by ambient/cold air pressure, so if your bike is outside and it gets really cold, your tires when you start out will be nearly half flat...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
...adding aftermarket ignition modules, etc..... Well these are mods that could adversely affect the handling/safety of your ride, they could damage your engine or other components....

There is just no way we can endorse any non Kawasaki parts or even switching parts from one Kawasaki to an other or switching to parts that fall outside Kawasaki recommendations..
My Mean Streak has that well-documented pre-ignition, because of the factory ignition map being set too lean, to beat Federal emissions regs.

There have been several threads on this subject, both in Kawasaki Cruisers, and Mechanic's Corner.

To me, this is an artificial condition. No vehicle should come from the factory with the fuel mixture set too lean on purpose, Feds or not.

So, if you aren't recommending aftermarket ignition modules, then how do you suggest I solve this problem? Wait until it holes a piston?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uncle Bob said:
That is not to say that there aren't any good reliable aftermarket parts/suppliers out there but should you choose to go that route you are doing so at your own risk.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
Uncle Bob said:
Here is a reply I got from NGK, when I asked them about the preignition problem:

"You would need to use a cooler spark plug in order to eliminate pre-ignition. The cooler spark plug for your application is the DPR7EA-9 stock number 5129."

What is your take on this, risk-wise?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ummm... let's assume for a moment that I am a complete moron, which my wife will readily agree to... :wink:

With that in mind, along with the context of this thread, define "sigh". 8)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Preignition problems

I would say that if the factory isn't willing to fix the problem ride it till it dies. when they get enough problems out there, there will be a recall, or Kawasaki wil be footing the bill for a lot of parts and even worse labor for replacing pistons and valves... I understand your position and even Kawasaki's position...perhaps Kawasaki USA in California can remedy the situation...where a dealer dare not tread (although they should be a sounding board back to Kawasaki USA) on them. I don't think Beartooth has the Authority to make decisions for motorcycle adjustments without permission from California... I agree with you, I just think you are barking at the wrong party or at the wrong end of things...I believe there should be a recall, and Beartooth may too, but we can't do anything but make calls and write emails to them...in California.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry guess I assumed everybody would get the jest of my original post.

Just that this was meant as a general disclaimer that the site admins cannot endorse the use of non OEM products since there are so many out there and so many variables possible that there is no way we could give sound valid advice on such products.

We could say that pipe xyz is good and that zxy ignition modules are great and that champlain spark plugs don't foul. But used in combination good products may produce bad results.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
xyz pipes

gee, Uncle Bob, I haven't seen any of those pipes in the USA...suppose they only have then in Canada? (xyz pipes) sigh...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bob, I didn't mean to get smart with ya... I'm just a bit frustrated.

This is not my first brand new bike... far from it. I've never encountered a situation like this. It's upsetting to have to deal with something like this, where I'm having to fix a problem on a new bike that was seemingly "designed in".

Nobody "official" wants to talk about it. Kawasaki won't talk to me, because it was badged a Suzuki, even though they built it. It says "Kawasaki Heavy Industries" all over it, ferchrissakes. Suzuki tells my dealer that the pinging is normal and harmless, so no action there, either.

Anyway, I understand the position you're in, so no hard feelings... as long as I can still be a smartass once in awhile. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts